losing 110 pounds in a year,

Options
03-19-14
I am 5'5 18 years old, i work out every single day this week i have made a goal with working out to burn at least 1000 calories every day. I started in Feburary of 2014 and hae been counting all my calories a day. i really want to make it to 140-160. i weigh 250 at the moment and i will try to lose at least 2-3 pounds a week. i just hope this is possible to lose 110 pounds at the end of the year.Soo is it possible.

Replies

• dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You will not burn 1000 calories a day through exercise. You will burn yourself out before you get very far.

Why not set more realistic goals?
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I think 50lbs is a more realistic goal. It could be more...which will be great. But if you set your goal with high expectations and you don't reach it, you might be more upset than if you say 50lbs and then lost 40.

4 lbs a month is a good goal.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Possible but not probable. It took me almost a year to lose 30 pounds. Weight loss is not consistent. You will not lose 2-3 pounds per week consistently. We are humans, not robots. Some weeks you'll lose a lot, some weeks you'll lose none, and all of it is totally normal. That is why people get discouraged and give up too easily- their expectations aren't realistic.
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I think 50lbs is a more realistic goal. It could be more...which will be great. But if you set your goal with high expectations and you don't reach it, you might be more upset than if you say 50lbs and then lost 40.

I agree with this post!
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Two lbs per week for the first two months is doable, but after that you'll probably need to scale it back a bit. A 1,000 calorie per day burn would be difficult to pull off unless you have nothing else to do every day...plus, your body will burn fewer calories doing the same activity as you get smaller so your burns will decrease. Don't set yourself up for failure. Just do the best you can every day and see where it takes you.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible, but let's not set yourself up for failure.
    What others have said... Set realistic goals. Healthy weight loss is about 2lbs/week (max). Burning 1,000 calories a day seems like a very lofty goal. You're going to get REALLY burned out. Slow and steady wins the race, my friend.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i agree with the not being able to burn 1000 calories at the gym, daily.
  • pancakemix16
    pancakemix16 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have lost 90lbs in a year and put it all back on plus 15. Its better to lose weight slowly and make healthy food changes for a long term life style change.
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    03-19-14
    I am 5'5 18 years old, i work out every single day this week i have made a goal with working out to burn at least 1000 calories every day. I started in Feburary of 2014 and hae been counting all my calories a day. i really want to make it to 140-160. i weigh 250 at the moment and i will try to lose at least 2-3 pounds a week. i just hope this is possible to lose 110 pounds at the end of the year.Soo is it possible.

Typically you might lose quite a bit considering height and weight, which you may average 2 or 3 pounds in the beginning, but as you progress, you will lose slower and have to be more adamant. I would set a goal of 2 pounds a week initially, and after 20 pounds, aim for one pound a week.
    Do not burn 1000 calories each gym session, as someone has previously said, you will burn yourself out. Do as much as you can for now, and progressively get better. Do not rush this, this is a lifelong process and a whole new lifestyle for you. It's all trial and error, find out what works for you. If you burn yourself out too soon, you will get sick of it and you may fall back. Start from the beginning, and build up. :)
  • billycicchino
    billycicchino Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to anything else you have said in terms of goals but it most certainly is possible to burn 1,000 calories a day. If you run everyday for just 30 minutes at 5.5 mph (which is really more "jogging" than running) you would burn 500+ calories. Say you do that every morning then in the evening go for a long walk and / or one of those aerobic vids like T25, that would definitely get you 1000 calories down a day. Now of course, you might eat those back but your question was can you "burn 1,00 calories?" Hard work? Absolutely, but very possible.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    110 pounds in a year is really tough and may not be healthy. Pounds will come off quickly at first, but the pace will slow down. Your body will adapt and become more efficient at not losing calories. Also, right now your body needs a lot of energy to do everything because of your weight. As the weight comes off, your body doesn't need as much energy to do your daily activities and your exercise. Think of it this way. A person who is 300 lbs, runs 1 mile at 2 mph burns more calories than a 200 lb person who runs the same distance at the same speed, because the 300 lb person needs more energy to move that distance and speed because it has more to carry.
  • dmenchac
    Options
    I can't speak to anything else you have said in terms of goals but it most certainly is possible to burn 1,000 calories a day. If you run everyday for just 30 minutes at 5.5 mph (which is really more "jogging" than running) you would burn 500+ calories. Say you do that every morning then in the evening go for a long walk and / or one of those aerobic vids like T25, that would definitely get you 1000 calories down a day. Now of course, you might eat those back but your question was can you "burn 1,00 calories?" Hard work? Absolutely, but very possible.

So you think a female who weighs 250 lbs given her height can magically run for 30 minutes straight at 5.5 MPH? And then do T25 later on in the day or go for a 2 hour walk? AND THEN REPEAT IT for 365 days?

Lets be practical here.

She will injure herself.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Depends on how accurately you log your calories and how accurately you calculate calories burned. And it depends on how quickly or slowly your body loses the weight. Everyone varies and the rate of loss will also vary as you approach your goal. You don't have a clue as to the answers at this point. You'll discover the answers as you go along.

So, while I'd keep your ultimate goal in mind, I'd start with a smaller goal. Say a reasonable amount to lose by the the end of April or May. I would never tell you that losing 110 lbs. in a year is impossible. I'm on track to lose 100 in 10 months, a number I could never have predicted and certainly didn't believe was attainable for me. I don't know how many I will lose by June of this year, but I do know that I will continue to log my calories, exercise and do my best each and every day.

Good Luck!
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 pounds in a year when I was 5'6 and 250, ending up at 180 (age 15.)
    I worked out for 3-4 hours a day though (first at fat camp/inpatient treatment) then at home by taking online classes.
    I certainly didn't burn 1,000 calories a day, but I ate very little (a net of 1,200 with exercise.)
    I personally would not advocate this.
    The minute I left for college I gained all my weight back and then some /: I'm 18 now, and 280 pounds, having to start all over.
    Slowly but surely is the way to go, especially for the sake of lean muscle and not getting loosey goosey skin.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Also, I think 110 pounds in a year (~2.1 pounds per week, consistently) is a bit too aggressive. A much more reasonable goal is maybe 1-1.25 pound per week, on average. Take it slow, and it will likely work out much better . . . :)

Cheers,

N
  • bobbiejof33
    Options
    I weighed 275 when I started just over a month ago, being heavier, you will lose more at the beginning. If you look through the motivational/success section, you will see MANY people who have lost over 100 lbs. It is doable. You however have to be VERY dedicated. I think you can do it, just set realistic goals. Instead of going right for the 100lb mark, try 10 % of your starting weight. Then try for 25% and so on, when you see the numbers fall off the scale, and your measuring tape get smaller (when you plateau you are probably still losing inches) Don't be discouraged :) You can lose the weight you want, just remember every lb and every inch is getting you closer to your goal. Don't focus so much on time, but on how awesome you feel and how much healthier you are :)
  • greytniki
    greytniki Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm worried that your putting to much pressure on yourself and potentially then setting yourself up for failure. It has taken me 15 months to lose 91 pounds. Life has happened along the way including back surgery. I had no idea 15 months ago that in the middle of my weight loss/fitness journey I would have back surgery. It threw a major loop in my "plans". Busy schedules, work, school and whatever will define how much time you can spend long term working out each day. Some days, weeks, months you will have more time then others.

I have had to look at this as a journey not a race. As long as I am making good solid progress forward with scale and non scale victories I call it good.
  • dmenchac
    Options
    One last pointer. You seem so concerned with working out. Dieting is far more important. I would focus my energy more on what you eat.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think it's highly unlikely without some real frustration and would advise what others are advising, which is to go ahead and set a more achievable goal. Injury or illness alone will make that wholly unachievable and you will likely make yourself completely miserable. It's not a fun way to live, and it will be difficult to make sustainable, long-term changes that are likely to keep the weight off once you've hit your goal.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options

Agreed!