Targeted Ketogenic Diet

Hello everyone. I am new to keto and would like some input from experienced people. I am running a TKD, well to my knowledge of what that is. I am in my second week of keeping carbs under 50g. I work out 4-5 times a week lifting weights, minimal cardio. Sometimes I will play raquetteball. So here is what I have been doing:

Keeping carbs under 50g daily - my average macro distribution has been around 60f/30p/10c
About 25-35g carbs pre workout and another 25-30 immediately post workout (not counting these towards the total)
Not going to do any carb up days as of now
Drinking a ton of water each day

So how does this look? Last week towards the end of my first week I noticed I was a little dizzy. I did do a carb up last weekend because I did not lift at the gym at all last week.

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    I would recommend finding the keto group to ask these questions.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Hello everyone. I am new to keto and would like some input from experienced people. I am running a TKD, well to my knowledge of what that is. I am in my second week of keeping carbs under 50g. I work out 4-5 times a week lifting weights, minimal cardio. Sometimes I will play raquetteball. So here is what I have been doing:

Keeping carbs under 50g daily - my average macro distribution has been around 60f/30p/10c
    About 25-35g carbs pre workout and another 25-30 immediately post workout (not counting these towards the total)
    Not going to do any carb up days as of now
    Drinking a ton of water each day

So how does this look? Last week towards the end of my first week I noticed I was a little dizzy. I did do a carb up last weekend because I did not lift at the gym at all last week.

What exactly are your goals?
  • MixaDru
    MixaDru Posts: 3
    Oh yes, this would be a good thing to point out.

My goals are basically just to cut down body fat while maintaining as much muscle mass as possible.
  • MixaDru
    MixaDru Posts: 3
    Your probably right! I am new to this forum so I wasn't sure where to put it. I tried to search for keto specifically and didn't have success.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Oh yes, this would be a good thing to point out.

My goals are basically just to cut down body fat while maintaining as much muscle mass as possible.

There are lots of ways to do that (generally any plan that maintains a caloric deficit, has adequate protein and includes resistance training) but a TKD is certainly one approach. I can't tell you if it's the right approach for you or not, but it's worth noting that you won't be at 100% until you've been doing it for at least a few months. A lot of people will see a performance hit at first and then their performance recovers once they're adjusted to eating fewer carbs.
  • supnicole
    supnicole Posts: 23 Member
    I've been doing a standard keto diet for about 3 months with great success. Feeling a bit dizzy is normal early on, just make sure you adjust your workout accordingly (i.e. slow your intensity). From my knowledge (and experience) with keto, your diet looks fine. If you notice you're not losing or your progress is slowing, possibly decrease your pre/post workout carbs slightly (or try the opposite and have a carb up day). Good luck with your goals.