Low carb and chilli

Options
2»

Replies

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how other low carbers serve their chilli as standard rice is clearly out! Made some delicious chilli and need ideas :)

Wait... Rice is standard??? Not down here in Alabama, it's not. For me, I just leave out the beans (Texas style chili) and add an extra can of Rotel to it. Then top it with FRESH SHREDDED cheddar and a tablespoon of sour cream. If it's good chili, you don't need anything to put it over (rice, baked potato, etc...)
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    We've always just eaten it in a bowl. Perhaps with some cheese sprinkled on top.
  • jasonmh630
    Options
    but there is no rice in southern home cooking.

Not true... Before I started this low carb thing, I used to make a Broccoli-cheese-rice casserole that was VERY southern. ;)
    I'll agree that it's rare in southern cooking, though.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I serve my chilli in a bowl...

Mmmm - I had a big bowl of chilli for lunch (all on its lonesum).:smile:
  • sabrina19782014
    sabrina19782014 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    must be a UK thing then haha
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Just wondering how other low carbers serve their chilli as standard rice is clearly out! Made some delicious chilli and need ideas :)

Wait... Rice is standard??? Not down here in Alabama, it's not. For me, I just leave out the beans (Texas style chili) and add an extra can of Rotel to it. Then top it with FRESH SHREDDED cheddar and a tablespoon of sour cream. If it's good chili, you don't need anything to put it over (rice, baked potato, etc...)

Sorry guys but it is definitely a UK thing. In fact I can't remember not ever seeing chilli and rice.

Although I must say a lot of the suggestions people are coming up with sound more interesting than rice.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Sorry guys but it is definitely a UK thing. In fact I can't remember not ever seeing chilli and rice.

Although I must say a lot of the suggestions people are coming up with sound more interesting than rice.

Huh, we always make it with rice (in part because, like with good asian food, the heat is such that you need something to cool you down between bites) but I never knew it was a UK thing. Perhaps it's something my grandfather picked up during his time in the service, but either way I learned something new today. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Also depends on if we're talking chili or chile....at least in NM

beef-and-bean-chili-933.jpg

^^^Typical "Western" (Range/Texas style) chili. This is great just in the bowl or chili dogs or frito pie, etc. My mom always made cornbread when we had chili...I'm not a huge fan of cornbread...I often have this with four tortillas. It's pretty much liquid, tomatoes, beans, beef, and chili powder.

Then there is New Mexico Red CHILE (with an E) sauce. This tops all kinds of things from eggs to burritos to enchiladas...and I love using sopas to sop it up after a nice meal.

redchile-016.jpg

^^^this is made from this....

red-chili-peppers_8493_600x450.jpg

And then there's New Mexico Green CHILE (with and E) sauce which also tops all kinds of things from eggs to burritos to enchiladas. I also love a good Green Chile, Pork, and Potato stew...

P5163746%20Green%20Chile%20Sauce-sm.jpg

^^^this is made from this...

hatch-green-chiles-green-chile-sauce-recipe-L-lzq8BM.jpeg

and here's some stew...

porkstew-751987.jpg

All of the above are hotter than snot and will pretty much knock your nickers off. I love spicy food...
  • jasonmh630
    Options

Ahhhh.... Understood. I just know I had never heard of putting it over rice. I've put it over a baked potato, though.
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I love hot chilli over rice, with cheese and sour cream, didn't know it was an English thing !? Anyhow, now if i have it i use Eat Water Slim rice which is zero carbs, well zero anything as it's made of something weird that has no calories.....:wink:
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Also depends on if we're talking chili or chile....at least in NM

beef-and-bean-chili-933.jpg

^^^Typical "Western" (Range/Texas style) chili. This is great just in the bowl or chili dogs or frito pie, etc. My mom always made cornbread when we had chili...I'm not a huge fan of cornbread...I often have this with four tortillas. It's pretty much liquid, tomatoes, beans, beef, and chili powder.

Then there is New Mexico Red CHILE (with an E) sauce. This tops all kinds of things from eggs to burritos to enchiladas...and I love using sopas to sop it up after a nice meal.

redchile-016.jpg

^^^this is made from this....

red-chili-peppers_8493_600x450.jpg

And then there's New Mexico Green CHILE (with and E) sauce which also tops all kinds of things from eggs to burritos to enchiladas. I also love a good Green Chile, Pork, and Potato stew...

P5163746%20Green%20Chile%20Sauce-sm.jpg

^^^this is made from this...

hatch-green-chiles-green-chile-sauce-recipe-L-lzq8BM.jpeg

and here's some stew...

porkstew-751987.jpg

All of the above are hotter than snot and will pretty much knock your nickers off. I love spicy food...

Slobber...
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Oh I never realised you don't have it with rice across the pond! The thing is you end up eating a bigger serving if there's nothing with it don't you? I suppose most people here do it to kind of stretch it out a bit?

Anyway I had mine on a bed of baby spinach with lots of extra mature cheddar which was lovely, I will give some of these other ideas a go with the leftovers the rest of the week :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I've actually never had chili served with rice. In my neck of the woods, saltine crackers or cornbread is the norm. I'm a cornbread girl myself, but when I want less carbs I just serve it without.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I've never put rice in my chili? Is this new? I usually just skip the garlic bread
  • schmetterling1
    schmetterling1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love having my chilli on a salad. lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and corn chips on the side. YUM
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I've never put rice in my chili? Is this new? I usually just skip the garlic bread

Chilli on rice . :smile:

chilli_rice.jpg
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    but there is no rice in southern home cooking.

Not true... Before I started this low carb thing, I used to make a Broccoli-cheese-rice casserole that was VERY southern. ;)
    I'll agree that it's rare in southern cooking, though.

Yep! Minute rice from the red box! Haha! My mom did make this.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have never had chilli over rice...

That said, any Texas/Range style chili I've ever had has beans as a primary ingredient...beans aren't low carb. I guess I wouldn't consider a chili with no beans to actually be chili...I guess is would just be beef and tomatoes and chili powder.

And onions and those poblano peppers and hatch green chili's!

I think folks in the southwest just don't mess with rice ever.

I can't remember a time my mom cooked it.

It's not standard fare in the south, at all. LOL.

Now, they have it at the Chinese buffets, but there is no rice in southern home cooking.

Cajun food often features rice.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me hungry.