Feeling hopeless with PCOS/Hypothyroidism & Weight Loss..

Options
I was diagnosed with PCOS/Insulin Resistance & hypothyroidism last year around July. I didn't really start taking the diagnosis seriously until I was weighing in at 225 pounds & all that I saw was weight gain consistently. I went to my OB/GYN feeling so down, stuck, & like there was no way out. I felt so embarrassed breaking down in front of her, just crying because I didn't know what else to do. She was very comforting & has helped me every step of the way. I started feeling better, lost a little bit of weight, but now, I'm starting to get back to that very emotional place.

I work out 6 days a week, weight lifting & cardio (more so weight lifting), and am at the gym for about 90 minutes each time. I do my best to eat a low (net) carb diet, gluten free, & high in protein. I eat less than 1600 calories a day, except on my cheat day (which I struggle with ~ still trying to get that to a cheat DAY, not a cheat weekend) and I get 10 cups of water in. I also take BC, Metformin, & Levothyroxine.

Since November 2013, I've lost 7 pounds. Every week recently, I'm weighing in between 213-215. If I am over on my carbs at all, my weight shoots up to 217-218. I'm becoming more & more frustrated, but I can also not give up ~ If I did, I would be 400 pounds at this rate. My friends around me hear how hard I 'supposedly' work, but I feel like to them, I'm just bluffing. My mom is the only one who sees me in the gym everyday, sweating my butt off & giving it my all. Since I'm making no progress, I feel like everyone thinks I'm doing nothing, yet saying I'm doing everything. Also, I see people who started off around the same time as me getting below 200, below 190 & I'm just sitting here, baffled.

Any pointers or support would be greatly appreciated. What am I doing wrong? My diary is open, my profile is open, & so is my mind. Help this fat girl get healthy! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• taracottagreen87
    taracottagreen87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I understand I have PCOS and Endometriosis and in the past had thyroid problems I have lost 70 lbs already but the last few months I have been going to the gym 3-4 days a week eating 1400 calories and still have only lost bout 9 lbs in 6 months and I fluctuate between 233-237 consistently this last month.Its hard but i can't give up so focus on how much healthier you feel how many inches you've lost or non scale victories like I wore a dress without shorts under to keep my thighs from rubbing.Also mix it up do something different I get bad about doing the bike for weeks so I had to mix it up now I walk or do a video or take a zumba class.I am on metformin too now which may help me lose weight since it balances blood sugar
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hey girl - I'm in a similar situation. I also have PCOS/insulin resistance (haven't had my thyroid tested, though) and it does make it so much more difficult to lose weight. From what I understand, you're on the right track with the lower carb/higher protein diet. Are you also eating plenty of healthy fats, like from butter, full fat cheese, peanut butter, nuts, avocado, etc? That is also important for women with PCOS. I don't have much advice, unfortunately, except to maybe try increasing your calories. Do you have a heart rate monitor? That's a good way to estimate how many calories you're burning during your workout, and then I would say try to eat back 50-75% of those calories earned (allowing room for error). I also hear that adding cinnamon to your meals, or coffee, or something like that is good for women with PCOS and for health in general. Unfortunately, though, it's just a puzzle and a LOT of trial and error to find what works for your body. Even among women with PCOS, every body is different and will find success in different ways. Feel free to add me if you like! =) Good luck to you.
  • Obrienlo
    Obrienlo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have possible PCOS and I have Hypothyroidism and have been battling weight issues for a few years now. The only thing that has helped me is to make sure you get lots of sleep, keep up to date with your bloodwork, hit the gym, and eat clean foods.
    It took me along time to agree to looking at the ingrediants, but it made a world of difference. Also watch out for Cruciferous veggies. They are not helping your Thyroid to work to your full potential. I am down about 25 pounds (before logging into MFP) in a 5 month period. I was also instructed to add alot of healthy gut bacteria..which for me is Bio-K. It has made a world of a difference. Keep going, and keep a positive attitude. Good luck
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    It seems that this combo for us ladies is eerily common. A friend sent me this link: http://holisticsquid.com/the-best-diet-for-pcos/

It seems like most women with PCOS are missing fermented items to keep them in balance. It does make sense to be, at least theoretically. My mom was always healthier when my Greek/Russian/German grandmother and Polish grandfather were serving far more foods of this nature when we would visit. (I used to turn my nose up quickly at all of that!!) It also makes sense for me personally, as I have always tested for my blood type and such as having more meats, more fats, more natural foods, etc. I have just come across this in the past week and have started climbing toward that goal. I'm incorporating more protein, taking cinnamon pills, and drinking tons of water! Be SUPER CAREFUL with cinnamon being on Metformin - from what I've read, there can be MAJOR reactions.

My main concern, and I'm sure this is unusual for most, is that I DON"T WANT to improve my fertility. I'm done having children, and I'm concerned that I've taken for granted my difficulties in conceiving. I have been on BC for a couple years now, but even that is said to be bad for PCOS, and it is affecting other things as well (primarily my blood pressure).

My suggestion - partner more with your doctor. Monitor everything. Research - and share with her your research. If this type of thing isn't her specialty, ask her to suggest someone who specializes in it. That person will likely have better tools to unlocking the mystery of your metabolism, etc. Don't give up. Most people struggle for 10 years or more to unlock everything. Metabolism, particularly when our hormones are all wacky, is a game of roulette, or chance or whatever you want to call it. Mainly, you will just have to try your body to see what works. And when you plateau, you'll have to mix it up again (because once you lose 10+ pounds, your metabolism can change all over again).

You have to mix things up to keep your body from getting use to things. This relates to food, exercise, all of it!
  • jab_mn
    jab_mn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think I may have PCOS so I have been doing some research which is how I came upon this thread. I took a peek at your diary, have you thought about cutting down on Quest Bars? I know they are really convenient and really yummy, but I have heard that sugar alcohols can mess with people attempting to lose weight on low carb diets. As with many things, I would think maybe some people tolerate them better than others. I am not an expert by any means, but it was just a thought. To replace the quest bars, maybe make a bunch of fat bombs instead?

Not that reddit is an expert either, but here's a reddit discussion about Quest bars. Seem's like some people handle them fine, and some people not so much. http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/1n0yed/

Good luck on your journey and you should feel great about being committed to changing your life.