Adding spinach to vanilla protein shake?

Options
I've seen a lot of people suggesting blending veggies like baby spinach to protein shakes. However, spinach and vanilla? How does that taste? Most of the recipes I've seen have 1/2 of a frozen banana added or something, but will it taste alright with just the vanilla protein powder, water, and some almond milk? Would putting a few ice cubes in make the consistency better?

I'm trying to up my veggie intake by "sneaking" them in. I love my daily protein shake, so I don't want to ruin it with spinach. Has anyone done this and what are the effects on the texture/flavor? How much should I add to an 8 oz protein shake? Any tips?

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    You really can't even taste it. Even my kids and picky husband will drink green smoothies with spinach in them. Today for lunch I had one with spinach, pineapple, strawberries, vanilla protein powder and almond milk. You couldn't even taste the spinach in there and if you add cocoa powder you get a tasty chocolate version and can hide the green if it offends you.

ETA: I've never actually done just the protein powder and spinach so I can't honestly comment on that and should apparently work on my comprehension skills. :)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    You really can't even taste it. Even my kids and picky husband will drink green smoothies with spinach in them. Today for lunch I had one with spinach, pineapple, strawberries, vanilla protein powder and almond milk. You couldn't even taste the spinach in there and if you add cocoa powder you get a tasty chocolate version and can hide the green if it offends you.

ETA: I've never actually done just the protein powder and spinach so I can't honestly comment on that and should apparently work on my comprehension skills. :)

I don't mind the green color. I drink my shake out of an opaque bottle, but it wouldn't bother me in a clear bottle either. I care more about taste than color!

How about 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1/2 cup baby spinach, 1/2 frozen banana, and an ice cube or two?
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You can barely taste it, and your recipe sounds good to me!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Yay! Thanks guys! I'm excited to try it starting next week. :)
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As long as the spinach is fresh, you can't taste it at all! I put a cup of spinach in with my protein powder, almond milk, and whatever fruits are in the house. Its very good. :)
  • Cmejstrik
    Cmejstrik Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I do it for breakfast every day and after a run. The frozen banana is key! You can't taste spinach at all. And I love the color - I get sad when I don't have spinach and have to go with a boring white smoothie!

I usually do 1 c. Unsweetened vanilla almond milk, half a frozen banana, 1 scoop vanilla Isopure powder, cinnamon, and a crap ton of spinach. I add rolled oats for breakfast. Sometimes cottage cheese if I want some extra creamy protein!
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Baby kale is nice too. A couple of good handfuls.
  • 4myB
    4myB Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I always add a cup or 2 of baby spinach to my vanilla protein shakes. I also add a cup of frozen berries and coconut milk, it's a great combo.
  • nurssassy
    nurssassy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Fresh spinach adds little to the flavor but just so you're prepared it makes your shake a vibrant green.
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i add frozen curly kale and frozen baby spinach balls to my smoothies and i can't taste it either lol!!!:)
  • zcjohnson
    Options
    My daily breakfast: 4 huge handfuls baby organic spinach, 1/2 large cucumber, 2 teaspoons Barlean's mango or lime "Omega Swirl" fish oil, scoop vanilla protein powder, 1/4 teaspoon each: cinnamon, turmeric. Sometimes I add hemp seeds. Add enough water to allow it to mix up. Vitamix blend to perfection!
    SO TASTY!! And filling! Great to know I got in a whopping portion of my daily vegetables too.
  • Mkristoff1206
    Mkristoff1206 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I usually add frozen spinach to my smoothie with protein, banana, almond or rice milk, etc. Wondering if its as good (healthy) as fresh? I feel like the frozen spinach has no taste and I can keep bags of it in the freezer and it won't go bad/get slimy :)
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It's not only tasty, but it makes you feel great after you drink it! I always put some kind of greens in my protein shake in the morning, and use either fresh or frozen fruit ( for example: strawberries, raspberries, mixed berries, mangos, pineapple, blueberries) and sometimes I'll add sweet potato or squash to the mix, depending on how many carbs I want. You can get great green mixtures that contain kale, spinach, and other greens--I usually put 2 or 3 handfuls (at least) in each of my protein shakes.
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    OH--and I add the greens to whatever flavor protein shake I'm using, whether it be chocolate, cinnamon bun, vanilla, caramel, etc. etc....:drinker:
  • giglqueen
    giglqueen Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I actually just did this a couple days ago so it's funny you asked. I was mixing up my shake and only had my protein powder, chia seeds, and 2 cups of spinach in it. I make a joke of "this won't taste very good" as I was about to add the fruit and my boss stopped me and said "well lets try it!" It tasted like a vanilla shake, only it was super green and we just drank it like that.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Of the green color turns you off, half a cup of raspberries makes ANYTHING red. :)
  • raevyn07
    raevyn07 Posts: 8
    Options
    Cinnamon Bun protein powder??? That sounds FABULOUS! I think I'll try adding some spinach to my protein shake for breakfast tomorrow. Mine are usually about 1/2c Kefir, 1/2c unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a scoop of vanilla protein powder (I LOVE vanilla), a tablespoon of chia/flax seeds, and a half cup or so of either frozen cherries, frozen berries, or frozen pineapple.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Because I hate veggies and my PT says EAT THEM DA#*IT! Here is my once a day shake with fruits/veggies...

1 navel orange
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1/2 cup spinach
    1/2 cup brocolli
    1/2 cup water

nutribullet them up and chug it down :) It actually tastes more like orange/blueberry than anything else! Not bad at all.

Now I can enjoy my chocolatey goodness of chocolate protein powder/shakeology and a banana...mmmmm