First Half-Marathon. Any tips?

Options
I'm running my first ever race, a half-marathon in less than three weeks. I've been following Hal Higdon's 12-week Novice 2 program and it's going well.

I also lift on non-running days. Should I ease up on the weights the week prior?

Any tips for race day?

Replies

• RushBabe_214
    Options

The OP looks to be a goldmine of information. Thanks so much for posting the link! :smile:
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    The number 1 most awesome tip someone gave me for my first half was: Don't get so wrapped up in your pace or overall time. Remember to look around and don't miss the experience of what is happening around you. Interact with the crowd, have fun, let yourself get overwhelmed with the whole experience. There will be plenty of times to break your PR but you only get to run your first one once.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I am running my first half next Saturday, and I also lift on my non-running days. This week, my lifting worked out so that I'm deloading anyway. Next week, I plan to do a lot of bodyweight and empty bar lifting...enough to stay lose and active but not enough to risk having DOMS.
  • EEfromJersey
    EEfromJersey Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hey Pam,

I'm running my first in two Sundays on the 30th of March, I've been using Hal's 12 week plan as a guide too, I've run many races but not a HM so can't really speak from experience but you should carb up the night before remember to taper off the week prior to the race, the adrenaline will be flowing so careful not start fast pace yourself I'm sure you have an avg per mile time in your head so that's your goal and if you feel it pick up the pace later in the race.

Good luck friend!
  • alipene
    alipene Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Hi Pam

Be prepared for any type of weather. I did my mine a year ago in freezing cold torrential rain and I'd never run in the rain before. I was worried about blisters wearing sodden socks and running shoes, it was uncomfortable running in wet gear and at the end I was almost hypothermic only to find that and they'd run out of foil sheets! :sad:

Oh and smile as you approach and run over the finish line! You'll be on film :happy:
  • RushBabe_214
    Options
    Great tips everyone. Thanks!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    What I wished I had done for my first half is to know the route.

I did not anticipate a BIG hill on mile 10. I ended up getting lost after that and ran an extra mile.

and for weights. I plan on doing my de-load the week of the race... so pretty much skip lifting and just do my run training plan.

Also this. I ran a 5k a few months back that didn't provide course details and elevation charts. I totally boinked out on the first mile because their were SO MANY hills. I make sure to only run races that provide these details now.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon's plans are GREAT! Follow it closely. Definitely ease up on the weights a couple of days in advance. You want your energy tank full on race day. A couple of tips:

1. NOTHING NEW on race day. No new shoes, different nutrition, clothing, etc. If you haven't tried it successfully before the race, don't do it during the race.

2. START SLOW. Everyone goes out too fast (ok, almost everyone) and it will screw up your race. Know your pace and start slightly below it. Build as you go if you feel you have it in you.

3. Don't worry about everyone else. You are out there for you. There may be some world class runners in the group and there may be some walkers. Odds are you are somewhere in between, so who cares how fast everyone else is. (Unless, of course, you are running behind a really cute butt, in which case try to keep up!)

4. Enjoy yourself. If you run it right, you are going to wonder what the hell you were thinking around mile 11. But when they put the finishers medal on your neck you are going to start thinking about when the next race is. Take your time, smell the roses and enjoy your achievement.

Best of luck. We'll be rooting for you!
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    As it's your first just remember that merely getting to the finish is a PR/PB so enjoy it.
  • RushBabe_214
    Options
    Hal Higdon's plans are GREAT! Follow it closely. Definitely ease up on the weights a couple of days in advance. You want your energy tank full on race day. A couple of tips:

1. NOTHING NEW on race day. No new shoes, different nutrition, clothing, etc. If you haven't tried it successfully before the race, don't do it during the race.

2. START SLOW. Everyone goes out too fast (ok, almost everyone) and it will screw up your race. Know your pace and start slightly below it. Build as you go if you feel you have it in you.

3. Don't worry about everyone else. You are out there for you. There may be some world class runners in the group and there may be some walkers. Odds are you are somewhere in between, so who cares how fast everyone else is. (Unless, of course, you are running behind a really cute butt, in which case try to keep up!)

4. Enjoy yourself. If you run it right, you are going to wonder what the hell you were thinking around mile 11. But when they put the finishers medal on your neck you are going to start thinking about when the next race is. Take your time, smell the roses and enjoy your achievement.

Thanks so much!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a really cute butt to follow closely. :tongue:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Don't start out too fast
    Don't try anything new
    Don't start out too fast
    Enjoy the experience
    Don't start out too fast
  • jmock87
    jmock87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Wish there was a like button for this!
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    HAVE FUN!!!!!!! All the training was the work, try to soak up the race and really enjoy every moment. You will PR no matter what and there will never be another first half!

I just ran my first half at the end of February and it was everything I hoped it would be. :)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    The number 1 most awesome tip someone gave me for my first half was: Don't get so wrapped up in your pace or overall time. Remember to look around and don't miss the experience of what is happening around you. Interact with the crowd, have fun, let yourself get overwhelmed with the whole experience. There will be plenty of times to break your PR but you only get to run your first one once.

Yes, what this guy said!

Make sure you focus on enjoying the experience!

Aside from this, the only suggestion I have is that you run the race as you have trained for your long runs. This is what your body is used to.

As for the weights? I say you should taper there just as you taper with the runs.

Have fun and enjoy!
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Following :) running my first half in May!
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'll be here cheering you on gorgeous!!

rs_500x226-140131105942-tumblr_inline_mq6r5oG43i1qz4rgp.gif
  • Chellebear01
    Chellebear01 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being ready to run your first half marathon! Enjoy your race and don't try anything new on race day or even the week before. Keep hydrated and well fueled.

Best of luck!
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Good advice here.

I've run a few. Here's my thoughts.

1: I'd say that the "don't go out fast" comment is the most important one for your first race. 13.1 is a long way & you don't want to burn your energy up too early.
    2: Do practically NOTHING new on race day! no new food, no new clothes, no new shoes, nothing!!
    2a: Don't eat a bunch of food the night before the race.. You don't want to be running from one porta-poty to the next the whole race!!
    3: Get there a little early to pee. You & a thousand other people will be excited & the lines will be long
    4: Hydrate like crazy starting at least 3 days before the race - water water water, & drink water along the way. I skip the gator-aid but that's just me.
    5: You'll need energy along the way. Hopefully you've already figured out what your stomach can handle while running. GU works for me. Chocolate or Vanilla Bean. Peanut butter is too sticky to try & swallow & run.
    6: If it's cool start out wearing a cheap outer layer you can toss along the way after you warm up... think Goodwill
    7: When you have to spit make sure no one is right behind you ;)
    8: A+D first aid ointment will keep you from chafing in places that you don't want rubbed raw.. use it BEFORE the race!!

PM me if you have any other questions.

Most of all though, enjoy it!!! There's only one first half. Have fun & around mile 11 when you're feeling sore & tired questioning your sanity,,,, just hang in there, you're almost finished!!!!!!
  • RushBabe_214
    Options
    I'll be here cheering you on gorgeous!!

rs_500x226-140131105942-tumblr_inline_mq6r5oG43i1qz4rgp.gif

Haha....love this!!! Thanks, J! :flowerforyou: