Few weeks until 3 months complete on Phentermine 30 mg!

Options

Replies

• idojpdx
    idojpdx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to lose 50. It's not my first rodeo. I know that things will slow down the lighter I get, so I'm grateful to have dropped so much so quickly. I don't expect to be at my goal until sometime in the summer. I'm not taking anything beyond the L-tyrosine, except for my normal multivitamin and calcium/vit. D.

It sure sounds like you're doing everything right. Is this your first time dieting?
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Glad you are all doing well. Remember Phen is a tool to help you. Keep logging an working out. You can do this.
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • CBC435
    CBC435 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I found this board after posting on a couple other phen topics on MFP, and I recognize some of you from one or both of them.

I'm on phentermine for the second time in my life. The first was back in the '90s, when it was paired with fenfluramine. I did well, lost about 60 pounds, and kept it off for over a decade. Somehow the drug and low cal diet reset my appetite to low, even once I was off and continued to monitor my intake. I got pregnant at the age of 45, and gained a lot of it back with a more sedentary lifestyle, poor food choices because I was busy with an infant, and aging metabolism. I fiddled around with Weight Watchers and Nutrisystem and just clean eating and exercise, but my appetite was out of control again, and I would lose about 15 pounds and binge it right back.

I've been on phentermine for five weeks, and I'm down 19. I've been doing 1,200 calories a day, and a low-carb, low-fat diet, which is how I lost and maintained before. So far, so good. I'm hoping to lose 50. Some days it's tough to get the full 1,200 calories in because I'm just not hungry. But I don't want my body to shift into starvation mode and slow weight loss, so I force myself.

My doctor has me pairing the phen with the amino acid L-tyrosine. The L-tyrosine is supposed to stretch the effectiveness of the phen another four hours. So it allows you to take the phen in the morning, and not have to take a pill later in the day, which might cause sleeplessness. It seems to work, and some days I can even get by with half of a 37.5mg pill.

Wishing you all good luck on the road ahead, and hope to see more good things from you.

How is the amino acid L-tyrosine working for you? Do you find that it is helping?
  • CBC435
    Options
    What time do you take the L-tyrosine? I actually take my Phen late in the day, sometimes 4pm, sometimes as late as 7pm. I tend to eat well during the day, but I snack a lot at night. Taking it late helps me eat a normal sized dinner and not snack after dinner. It doesn't keep me awake so I am okay with it.

I only lost weight the first four weeks. I have been on it six weeks, and have only lost one pound in the past two weeks. Kind of frustrated!

I had this issue as well at one point but then upped my calories a bit (At one point- I could only get in 800-900 calories per day) but once I hit 1200 calories the weight came off again. Try changing up the workout routine too!
  • CBC435
    Options
    Thanks for that. I think I will pick up some of the L-tyrosine, it can't hurt. I am 5'1. I started at 162, and I need to get to 130. My goal is to get to that by May 30.

I just feel like I need to lose faster!!! It is so frustrating.

My doctor gave me some other supplements, but I haven't been taking them. HTP-5, Chromate, Potassium, Calcium and Magnesium. She also gives Vitamin B injections, which I don't take either.

The doctor said next month she might give me Phendimetrazine to take with the Phentermine.

I do write down every bite I eat. That does help me from eating junk! I don't want to see it written down so I don't eat it. I have stepped up the exercise. I started doing Zumba twice a week, and I ride my exercise bike. I sure wish I could keep up the weight loss.

That's pretty amazing that you stop eating after dinner! How much weight do you need to lose, idojpdx?

June

I had that mentality at first too that I just needed to lose at a quick rate and I noticed that thinking slowed it down. As weird as that sounds. My boyfriend said to me, "It is better to lose at a steady rate vs all at once because you are more inclined to fail if it's all gone at the beginning" and I do believe that. We all have an ideal number in our head and want to achieve miraculous weight loss in 3 months. However, I have now made goals each week or every two weeks. For example, my goal is to lose another 5 pounds by the end of next week so I will be at a total of 30 pounds lost. If I exceed it, I will be thrilled but if I make it, I know I hit my goal for the week! Make sense? I want to lose about 40-50 more pounds after I hit 30 but I tell myself it is a steady goal and need to continue being strong post phen :) Again, my phen ends the first week of April I believe. Good luck to you!!
  • CBC435
    Options
    I'm hoping to lose 50. It's not my first rodeo. I know that things will slow down the lighter I get, so I'm grateful to have dropped so much so quickly. I don't expect to be at my goal until sometime in the summer. I'm not taking anything beyond the L-tyrosine, except for my normal multivitamin and calcium/vit. D.

It sure sounds like you're doing everything right. Is this your first time dieting?

Awesome! I like that you have a realistic goal for when you will achieve your total weight loss!
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Bloody hell I wish I had the same success. I had to bin mine after about 4 days. They made me feel so ill. I was waking up through the night with an intense sick feeling, had banging headaces, had horrible chest pains. I've tried loads of diet pills but after that I vowed that I'll never waste my time on them again.
  • CBC435
    Options
    Bloody hell I wish I had the same success. I had to bin mine after about 4 days. They made me feel so ill. I was waking up through the night with an intense sick feeling, had banging headaces, had horrible chest pains. I've tried loads of diet pills but after that I vowed that I'll never waste my time on them again.

Charloo1990- were they prescribed by a doctor? If so, your doc should have adjusted the mg and put you on a lower dosage. I am on 30 mg and only have dry mouth and little spurts of energy. My sleeping is fine but I'm a restless sleeper anyway so don't really see a difference. No headaches or chest pains either and my doc has checked my vitals through this all and haven't experienced anything out of the norm. I think it really depends on the dosage you're on and I've noticed more people have these symptoms from the 37 mg so that could maybe be why. My doc also said that some people have bodies that won't be able to tolerate it at all :( I'm sorry it didn't work out in your favor and wish you the best!
  • idojpdx
    Options
    [/quote]

How is the amino acid L-tyrosine working for you? Do you find that it is helping?
    [/quote]

Yes, I feel like it extends the action of the phentermine for a few more hours without keeping me awake later, like taking more phentermine or taking it later in the day would. It has something to do with dopamine levels. My doctor did say that it doesn't work as well if you start the L-tyrosine more than a couple weeks after beginning phentermine. I've been taking them together all along.
  • idojpdx
    Options

Sorry to hear that. I have a dry mouth throughout the day, but no other side effects. It works very well for me. My doctor started me on half a 37.5mg pill, and after two weeks I went to the full pill. Some days I can still get by with half.
  • demaisoliver
    demaisoliver Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    So you want to lose 5 pounds in 2 weeks? Geez, I lost 1 pound in the last 2 weeks. I would totally love to lose 2 pounds a week. Now that I found this site, it is easy to plug in food. I never counted calories before, but I think it will help. Last night I knew how many calories I had for the day, and really thought about snacking at night. I usually don't think about it and say to myself "Well a handful of raw almonds is healthy." Now I am thinking about calories too.

After my son's wedding the end of May, I will go back to just eating healthy. I generally lose 1/2 pound a week that way.
    By the way, this is my third or fourth time on Phen. I got down to 140 using Phentermine, in September of 2013. By February of 2014 I got up to 162 pounds :mad: when I started Phen again.

Thanks for that. I think I will pick up some of the L-tyrosine, it can't hurt. I am 5'1. I started at 162, and I need to get to 130. My goal is to get to that by May 30.

I just feel like I need to lose faster!!! It is so frustrating.

My doctor gave me some other supplements, but I haven't been taking them. HTP-5, Chromate, Potassium, Calcium and Magnesium. She also gives Vitamin B injections, which I don't take either.

The doctor said next month she might give me Phendimetrazine to take with the Phentermine.

I do write down every bite I eat. That does help me from eating junk! I don't want to see it written down so I don't eat it. I have stepped up the exercise. I started doing Zumba twice a week, and I ride my exercise bike. I sure wish I could keep up the weight loss.

That's pretty amazing that you stop eating after dinner! How much weight do you need to lose, idojpdx?

June

I had that mentality at first too that I just needed to lose at a quick rate and I noticed that thinking slowed it down. As weird as that sounds. My boyfriend said to me, "It is better to lose at a steady rate vs all at once because you are more inclined to fail if it's all gone at the beginning" and I do believe that. We all have an ideal number in our head and want to achieve miraculous weight loss in 3 months. However, I have now made goals each week or every two weeks. For example, my goal is to lose another 5 pounds by the end of next week so I will be at a total of 30 pounds lost. If I exceed it, I will be thrilled but if I make it, I know I hit my goal for the week! Make sense? I want to lose about 40-50 more pounds after I hit 30 but I tell myself it is a steady goal and need to continue being strong post phen :) Again, my phen ends the first week of April I believe. Good luck to you!!
  • CBC435
    Options
    Junebuggyzy: That's what I've been averaging- about 5 pounds per two weeks. Some weeks it is more and some weeks it is less. I am working harder these next two weeks for a wedding I am going to but won't be bummed if I don't make it. I've got 4 pounds left and wherever I am at for the end of March, I will be happy! I'm hoping to be at my goal weight by September or October or in the general area but I've come to terms with the slow process of weight loss and I'm happy with where I'm at now. Just not satisfied and ready to settle ;)
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    BUMP!! (I have to come back to this later!)
    : )
  • idojpdx
    Options
    So you want to lose 5 pounds in 2 weeks? Geez, I lost 1 pound in the last 2 weeks. I would totally love to lose 2 pounds a week. Now that I found this site, it is easy to plug in food. I never counted calories before, but I think it will help. Last night I knew how many calories I had for the day, and really thought about snacking at night. I usually don't think about it and say to myself "Well a handful of raw almonds is healthy." Now I am thinking about calories too.

After my son's wedding the end of May, I will go back to just eating healthy. I generally lose 1/2 pound a week that way.
    By the way, this is my third or fourth time on Phen. I got down to 140 using Phentermine, in September of 2013. By February of 2014 I got up to 162 pounds :mad: when I started Phen again.

Junebuggyzy: I think that if you've dieted frequently, weight loss slows way down on subsequent attempts. Your body finds a set point and wants to stay there or get back to it when you let your guard down. I know this has been my experience. My set point has gotten higher throughout my life the more weight I lose and gain back.

It also gets much harder as we age, and we can't compare our loss to women in their 20s or 30s. 20 years ago, I could lose weight just by thinking about it. At 51, it's a much bigger struggle. Ugh!
  • CBC435
    Options
    Very good points, idojpdx! And yes, I can agree that age plays a huge factor in weight loss. When I was in my early 20's, the weight would come and go and now that I'm aging, it's at a slower rate. But I find it somewhat of a blessing so you can adjust to the amount loss and not have your body go into shock mode. My mother has wonderful genes and a skinny minny + she loses weight rather quickly but has suffered a slower metabolism with menopause and age. So don't give up and just remember- inches loss are significantly higher than pounds!
  • dinojay28
    dinojay28 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Adipex tomorrow I've been so obsessed on researching and in very excited for the suppressant I need with my busy bee schedule I tend to snack soo much and daily stress always had me going for what's faster which wasn't always the best if course! :( I'm a huge cardio junkie so I suppose that's always played a part of myself eating way way too much plus the yummy taste :( lol anyway after all my research I haven't found an answer to my question of have any of you had your salty sweet etc craving while taking phentermine?? I fear it won't help me with this I understand It with curb hunger but what about wanting the taste??!!
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've taken it several times. It worked great for weight loss. I lost about 40 lbs the first time. I was unable to maintain the weight loss. When you stop taking the pills you have to learn how to control your appetite without the suppressant. I was unable to do that. After a year I gained it all back.
    I wish you all the luck. Just be prepared that maintaining your weight loss may be more difficult due to phen because you haven't had to deal with hunger and cravings etc.
    also coming off the pill is difficult. I had headache and extreme moodiness. I also suffered arrhythmia as a permanent side effect from phen.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It's been very effective for me. It's a combination of Phentermine and logging my food and exercise here. The first time I posted on this thread, March 19, I weighed 149. Now I weigh 131.