Back again, need to get in shape for summer and my 40th

Options
JAT74
JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
I joined MFP last year just after the New Year and had a pretty good 6 months (though it wasn't easy). I was training a lot, 6 days a week, sometimes twice a day and counting calories as well as macros, trying out several ways of eating like low calorie, then high calorie, then low carb plus 5:2 until I found what worked best.

I was finally getting somewhere and had managed to lose around 15 lbs and I was really enjoying my training but then I had an ear infection for a couple of weeks, followed by a fall which left me in A&E last July. I stopped watching my diet, stopped logging and stopped exercising, mainly because I was in too much pain. Luckily I wasn't too badly hurt but was left with a lot of back problems which still haven't really gone away and every time I think I'm better and try to train I end up in pain again.

I am now back to square one having regained all the weight I lost (plus a little extra body fat) am down to 0 training, except for a little walking. I now really need to sort things out as I'll be 40 in September and want to go on a special holiday to celebrate but only if I can get in shape before then as I don't want to feel uncomfortable and avoid the camera the entire time like I have done before when on holiday over the past few years. That paired with the fact that I can't face another miserable summer in the heat where I live, keeping myself covered up and being depressed about the fact that nothing fits me any more has made me want to do something about it more than ever.

It was hard enough last year but this year it's even harder as I can't do the things I could before, but really need to find a way to get my fitness back up and my diet back on track. I've got a new puppy and although she's small she does need to go on walks so that is my current motivation to get out at least for a few minutes every day and I'm going to start logging my calories again and following 5:2 as my mum has been doing really well on it for a year now and has given me a cook book to help.

Anyone have any other advice about what I could do? I have lots of fitness DVDs but don't want to do anything too strenuous and risk being in pain again with my back. I have been seeing a healer who thinks that from time to time I have a trapped nerve and also that one or two of my vertebrae are a little out of alignment but when I had an MRI at the hospital after my fall nothing showed up.

I don't want to overdo it but was thinking about attempting a bit of Yoga or Pilates and also some light weights on my arms and legs I've lost a lot of muscle tone, though last time I tried weights on my arms my back started hurting again.

Replies

• RespiratoryScot
    RespiratoryScot Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a formula that works for you - I will be 40 fairly soon, too, so my thoughts are very similar to yours. Best of luck as you work towards a happy 40 :)
  • BoiNeezy
    BoiNeezy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like
  • filoula
    filoula Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing for you would be serious calorie counting because you can't exercise very much. If you eat well, drink lots of water and walk as much as possible then you'll lose the weight you need to, it's just about motivation. I think yoga and pilates sound good, but they are for flexibility really - not losing weight (although it may help you tone up). You could also try exercises that don't affect the painful area.

Don't know if that will help at all but good luck with everything! And don't worry about what your body looks like, you're gorgeous and will have a wonderful 40th birthday no matter what :) x
  • JAT74
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and motivational words, will do my best just need to get back into it which I am sure will take a couple of weeks.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing for you would be serious calorie counting because you can't exercise very much. If you eat well, drink lots of water and walk as much as possible then you'll lose the weight you need to, it's just about motivation. I think yoga and pilates sound good, but they are for flexibility really - not losing weight (although it may help you tone up). You could also try exercises that don't affect the painful area.

Don't know if that will help at all but good luck with everything! And don't worry about what your body looks like, you're gorgeous and will have a wonderful 40th birthday no matter what :) x

Yoga and Pilates can definitely help with building muscle, if done properly.
    The creator of the Pilates system, Joseph Pilates, designed his program as rehab, and many of the moves are based on yoga. So both might be perfect for you. You will still need to watch your form, though, because some of the exercises could aggravate your back if done improperly. You should try to take classes instead of doing it at home (same for yoga and Pilates), at least at first until you have established good form.

If you decide to take yoga, look for an iyengar class. Iyengar teachers focus on form more than other types and have a lot more knowledge of anatomy and rehabilitative care than most other types of yoga teachers.
  • JAT74
    Options
    Tried Pilates a few days ago and did my back in again, worse than before as it was my lower back. There's a chance it wasn't the Pilates as I was very careful to have proper form and keep my lower back on the ground etc. but the next day I leaned forward very slightly and felt a 'click' and was barely able to walk for 3 days.

It's better now and I'm almost back to normal but am a little scared of doing anything like that again now.

Have started walking more as my puppy needs to go for walks and it's getting warmer outside now so I'm doing at least 3 walks per week of 1 hour each and a few short walks each day but it really doesn't feel like I'm doing anything at all.

I am also struggling a bit to get my diet on track again. I have been counting calories for about a week but finding it hard to stick to my goal and I also wanted to do the 5:2 fast diet but every day I say to myself I'll have a fast day today but it just doesn't seem to happen because I feel too hungry.

Hope I'll get back into things again soon.
  • clairejoknee
    clairejoknee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 in September too! I also have health issues (M.E) so finding something I can do without making myself worse is difficult, hope you find something useful. Maybe swimming for a bit?