Stomach looks like its hanging more as I lose weight?

Options
SW: 240
CW:225
GW:160

I have been losing weight fairly quickly due to juicing and removing most white carbs from my diet. I have noticed from my starting photo compared to today, that my stomach is hanging lower and has deflated a tad. Just wondering why that is?

If photos would help, I will happily post them.

Replies

• hundredpoundowlz
    hundredpoundowlz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Because you're losing fat. Simple as that.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    might be loose skin. you are losing the fat underneath the skin.
  • neutralmilkhotel83
    Options
    Sometimes skin cannot keep up with the speed of weight loss. In those cases, people often have loose skin.

This article does a good job of explaining this problem:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/weight-loss/lost-weight2.htm

Once your body's ability to generate collagen catches up with your weight loss, it should go away.
  • rayytriangle
    Options
    Oh, ok. I was just confused because I thought your skin goes down with your fat. I was unaware they go down separate :ohwell: .
  • rayytriangle
    Options
    So will my inches stay they same as well until my skin firms up? Because I haven't seen much change in inches although I've lost 15 pounds. :indifferent:
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I agree, your skin will just need to catch up. Mine it still working on catching up with the rest of me. Though I've noticed since my weight loss has slowed a little my skin is starting to catch up.

As for inches, I'm not sure. I didn't notice a significant change in inches until i lost about 20/25 lbs. I started at 220 and I'm 5'1. Everyone is different though.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Genetics can play a factor. If the women in your family have a history of bad stretch marks, etc., then you will probably have the same type of skin. Slow and steady weight loss will help reduce this effect.
  • rayytriangle
    Options
    My mother has bad stretch marks and lose skin. However she also gained about 100 pounds within 9 months (while she was pregnant with me) and had the weight on for a few years. I went from 180 - 240 in 3 years and have already lost 15 lbs this month.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    How quickly are you losing weight? If you're losing more than 2 lbs per week, It may be better to slow down the weight loss to help avoid loose skin and losing lean muscle mass.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Genetics unfortunately play a role. My mom had five kids lost weight quickly each time no stretch marks or loose skin.

I have no stretch marks or loose skin and in the past always lost weight quickly, even after having a kid. My stomach isnt loose.

Now a few friends are skinny but got a little loose stomach. Have you been slimmer in the past and did you have this back then if so?

I believe strength training and lifting weights while losing weight will help.
  • rayytriangle
    Options
    I have never been slim. Even as a child I had a chest,big thighs and a little belly. I was considered a "thick" child. My mom couldn't even pick me up after I was 4. I was never obese as a child though.

I have lost more then 2lbs a week... I've lost 6.4 lbs in one week.
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    Honestly I would do some strength training. Alot of people seem to do well when trying to firm up trouble areas by heavy lifting and some sort of strength training with weights.

You may be losing quickly and that may be the reason but its hard to gauge if you never lost a certain amount to know if you will have loose skin or it will snap back. I would strength train just to be on the safe side.
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    But if that is you in the meter pic you seem kind of solid so I don't think you will have a permanent loose skin problem but I cant say for sure.
  • rayytriangle
    Options
    This picture is me at around 160 lbs. But alright thank you!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Depends on how old you are and how long you've held onto the weight. I posted on one of your other posts.

YOU HAVE TO EXERCISE.

YOu have to make those muscles strong under the skin. AND, if you do have a little hanging skin, it's totally worth it after losing all the weight you are going to lose.

Do not focus only on juicing. You get a huge amount of sugars from juicing. Are you logging what you eat on this site? Watch out for alcohol too. That's a bad calorie booster. If you are a "picky eater" then find a way to "unpicky" yourself.

Grains, oatmeal, brown rice (and not a lot; only half-cup), beans, frozen veggies if fresh is not available or not convenient, NO BREAD, fruit for breakfast but like I said, watch the sugar in fruit; it counts! Grill your meat if you have to eat it, have egg whites, no diet food either.

OK, keep up the good work!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    might be loose skin. you are losing the fat underneath the skin.
    This. Also losing weight too quickly can definitely lead to loose skin because it's not able to catch up and retract. From my experience, people that have more than 80+ to lose, will usually end up with loose skin somewhere on their body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition