Buffet Style Meal Tonight--What to pick

Options
ihanna37
ihanna37 Posts: 10 Member
Tonight there is this African-themed buffet style meal, and they posted the options ahead of time. It would be nice to have a plan going in so I don't overeat. Which of these options would be healthiest, but make the meal still enjoyable?
Wild Boar with Groundnut sauce
Soetkoekies
Lentil soup
Fava beans in Tahini sauce – pita chips
Falafel cakes
Kofta Griddle Station –Seared beef and lamb kofta with cilantro
Egyptian Koshary – traditional lentil, macaroni and tomato sauce casserole
Fried cauliflower
Dongo-Dongo – East African Gumbo
Berbere-style Roast Beef
Etheopian Chickpea Wat – spiced potato and chickpea stew VG
Zanzibar Pilau – Sultanas and peppercorn pilaf VG
Injera – flat bread
Chicken Tagine
Moambe’ Stew – grapefruit marinated wild game, Congo river peanut sauce
Marrakesh Vegetable Curry
Mbaazi wa Nazi – pigeon peas with sweet potatoes VG
Vegetarian Cous Cous VG
Sautéed curried prawns
Melay Kebabs – Marinated Lamb and Apricot skewers
Crunchy Hot Chutney Chicken
Begrafnisrys – Yellow rice with golden raisins V
Baked Butternut Squash V
Okra and greens
Cinnamon Ice Cream and Yogurt Bread
Koeksisters – syrup soaked, fried dough twists
Caakiri – cous cous yogurt pudding, Old Fashioned Milk Tart
Malvapoeding (marshmallow pudding)
Assorted Fudge
Pumpkin cheesecake
Bread & Butter pudding squares

Replies

• shellbatronic
    Options
    Not gonna lie, that all sounds AMAZING and I would try a little of everything I could and damn the numbers.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Honestly if I were you, it's not something you do every day, just enjoy yourself and get back on track with the following meal. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie, that all sounds AMAZING and I would try a little of everything I could and damn the numbers.

this^^^ small amounts of everything, get back on track tomorrow and look at the big picture of thew week rather than one meal. That meal sounds amazing I wouldn't even know where to try and cut
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options

I agree! Unless you have other opportunities to try some of these dishes, I wouldn't want to pass on anything. A bite or so of each, and make up the calories later. Enjoy!
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'd probably try a little bit of everything, opting for a very small portion of starches, and selecting just one dessert. I can eat pumpkin cheesecake and fudge anytime...but may never have the opportunity to try Caakiri or Malvapoeding again.

Have fun!!
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a rare opportunity so maybe you should try a little portion of everything to see how it all is. The healthier selections are the ones without sauces and starches. Just some meat and veggie.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd try it all too. One day is not going to derail you, and it sounds incredible.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. A small amount enough for a bite of each and everything, just to try new things that I have never tried before.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

^ What she said
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I love to make my plate as colorful and pretty as possible with lots of different colored vegetables. Try to avoid going up for seconds, although I would probably leave a little room for some dessert.
  • ihanna37
    ihanna37 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Throughout the day, I just made sure to exercise and eat lightly---and then I thoroughly enjoyed what was there, and couldn't even get to half because there was so much food! There's no way to accurately log it, so I just decided to not log it. I don't know when I might get to African cuisine next, so it was great to try.