• mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    if the question is "Chickpeas?" the answer is YES

punjabi chhole
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    grind them up, 1 tbsp grapeseed oil, chili pepper flakes, or basil, garlic and onion powder. (Much cheaper than buying hummus for $5.00. Eat on crackers or celery or any veggie as a dip... Got lots of recipes.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Also, add them into chili or soup or cold onto any salad. Gotta spice them up a bit cuz they have no real flavor.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    My Grandma is trying to be helpful and gave me a can of chickpeas because she heard that they were "good for you." Unfortunately, I've never had any in my life and don't have any recipes healthy or otherwise for them. Anybody have any healthy chickpea recipes they can share?

Fry a couple of garlic cloves in a tiny bit of oil, add chopped tomatoes in the amount you like and then a bundle of roughly chopped greens....whatever you prefer. Season with Garam Masala, the Mediterranian way, Mexican style, whatever. When the greens have wilted add the well rinses chick peas. Adjust seasoning and eat with rice, pasta, tortillas, pita bread, cous cous, quinoa, polenta....the list goes on. Chickpeas fit perfectly into almost anyones food plan, because they are full of protein, fiber and micro nutrients and are economical.
    I add them to salads, soups and of course make 3-minute Hummus with them.
    The previously mentioned Greek salad with Feta cheese is really delicious also.
  • anjuli360
    anjuli360 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    They will not lose their crunch if you dry roast em first for a half hour first, then just drizzle some olive oil in the pan and shake to coat and season (I use garlic powder, and a little kosher salt)... bake for about another 25 minutes, they stay crunchy! But watch them the last few minutes, they can go from crispy crunchy to burnt quickly :) good luck!
  • mamabanana
    mamabanana Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I always add them to my spaghetti sauce (pureed if I make for my kids). I stay away from pasta, but I good on spaghetti squash!
  • pettychia
    pettychia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes! My coworker invented what she calls "guaca-hummus" and it's great. Mash together chickpeas and an avocado and flavor with: salt, garlic powder, lime juice. It's like a protein-heavy guac or a less-caloric hummus. Great bread spread or dip.

I also love to just put chickpeas on my salads to add some protein.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I mash them up and add a bit of mayo, celery and dill for a substitute to an egg salad sandwich.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I LOVE chickpeas! I put about 1/4cup in my wraps to add some fiber and protein. I also have sprinkled them w/ olive oil and herbs, then bake them for a toasty crunchy snack food.

Also use humus (sp?) on my sandwiches instead of mayo.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    i chuck them in when making chicken curry or anything saucey

Also make a protein ball type thing

chuck in blender:
    can chickpeas
    raw cacao 1tbs
    honey 1tbs
    coconut oil 2 tbs
    protein powder 1 scoop
    chia seeds 1 tbs

blend until smooth, roll into balls and then roll in shredded coconut. If not sticking, add water. Add more honey if you like them sweeter or any fruit such as rasberries, cherries etc
  • Deberdoomagoo
    Options
    Oooooh! Had never thought to roast them. Gonna try that! :smile:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i pop a couple cans in chili.

good stuff! :drinker:
  • Muzumea
    Muzumea Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chickpea-curry/

I add a cup of diced tomatoes and 1/8 cup of golden raisins for really great flavor! :smile:

Yummy over quinoa.
  • ladyace0007
    Options
    Drain and rinse them, pull off the thin membranes around each one, and roast them in the oven. They come out crunchy like nuts and are great sprinkled with chili powder and sea salt.

Or you can make this! It's awesome, I promise.

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/23/want-to-eat-an-entire-bowl-of-cookie-dough/

It really does taste like cookie dough.
  • Gemzzz12
    Gemzzz12 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ive never cooked them either but I have a tin and I am planning on making tomato and chickpea soup which looks amazing as well as chickpea curry! I dont like humus. :/ Just have a look through Google and some good recipes will come up!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Thanks