hey there, feeling kinda down

Options
hey everybody!

I'm a 20 year old college student working to lose some weight. I'm pretty petite, only about 5'1 or 5'2 but I'm about 160 pounds. I have been working out with my brother though, so I understand that some of that is muscle. However, I've been doing myfitnesspal for about two weeks now and I haven't seen any results. I eat pretty healthy (for a college student) and I work out (cardio and strength) almost every day. I'm not even really feeling different. Any help?

Replies

• 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty healthy (for a college student) .

What does that mean exactly? Are you eating healthy or not? Not trying to be mean at all :noway: but that caught my eye. Are you logging everything? Are you watching your portion sizes? Are you choosing healthy foods? Look over your diary and see if your diet is as healthy as you think it is. Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • shekae
    shekae Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements and go by that as well. You might lose inches but not pounds especially if you're building muscle. When I first started working out, I could definitely notice my clothes fitting a little looser (a few belt notches) but the scale stayed the same.
  • driscollmc
    Options
    hey there! i'm in college too, and honestly you need to just keep with it. make sure you're doing a lot of cardio though, don't focus so much on the weight training. start doing weights and stuff when you've lost a bit of the weight because that's when you'll actually build lean muscle and lose those last few pounds. also, drink PLENTY of water. i know we're used to convenience type stuff and that typically has a lot of salt in it, so make sure you're flushing out your system. and make sure you're really paying attention to your calorie count and don't eat all of your exercise calories back. just keep with it; the same thing happened to me the first few weeks because your body is just in shock with the new program, but when it gets used to it you'll drop the weight :) hope this helps!!!
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I checked out your diary and you are eating terribly...cookies and pasta will not cut it...i hardly saw any salads or yogurt or whole grains ...of course you can have a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch...but not tortillinis for lunch and chips ahoy for dinner the same day. I saw on many days you didnt even eat enough cals...you are most likely in starvation mode, so losing weight will be impossible until you are eating 1200 at least . Maybe you were just having a bad week and if so ,sorry...just trying to help out.
  • shortsweetie611
    Options
    It means that I don't really have time to ever cook myself a meal. So I have to rely on quick meals, such as peanut butter sandwiches (whole grain bread, reduced fat peanut butter). That's what the "for a college student" means. And I don't drink, so none of those extra calories.
  • becky2time
    Options
    cut out the white flour, white bread, white rice and all sugars, and you will see results. More muscle burns more fat so keep up the exercise! Don't get discouraged!
  • becky2time
    Options
    Instead of eating a lot of carbs for your snacks, buy a bag of apples just a thought
  • Manda1987
    Options
    There's no such thing as being too busy to cook a proper meal! I'm a college student taking electrical engineering on top of owning a house and a dog with my fiance. There's a home-cooked meal on the table every day (my responsibility... his is the dishes!).

My suggestion? Batch cook! Cook larger batches of staples like pasta sauce and the like, and you can freeze to defrost and eat later. Crock pots are also your best friend because you can leave them for 10 hours while you cook. Otherwise, I do a lot of stuff involving frozen vegetables... stir fries, curries and the like.
  • kittyb1
    kittyb1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi there....don't be discouraged. Its hard being a college student and trying to lose weight. I'm 40 (mother of 2 boys) and am a full-time student in nutrition at a University here in Canada. I watch "kids" at my school struggling when you sit so much of the time in class, studying ect.... and then the food on campus is really god aweful!! I'm not sure what it is that you are eating as we are not "friends" but little suggestions.......don't drink your calories ie: vitamin water, coffee with cream/sugar, diet sodas ect..., increase your veggies/fruits, make sure its whole grains, and also eat enough so that you aren't draggin your butt around tired. What are you doing for exercise?? Keep in touch and I'll keep touching base to see how you are doing.....just asking the questions and doing something like this is a great start...plus I love your goal of studying abroad and looking great.
    Cheers,
    Kitty
  • driscollmc
    Options
    i understand the quick stuff, but what kind of options do you have around you? for example, if you have a grocery maybe buy some lean cuisines? they do have a bit too much sodium, but they're a correct portion size. also, if there are other restaurants around you try to pick up a chicken caesar salad or something and just go easier on the dressing. but the woman above me is right, you really need to cut down the pasta and other complex carbs :( believe me, i LOVED pasta before i started all this, and now if i even eat a little bit my stomach goes crazy because i'm not used to it anymore. also, if you have the means to cook your own food, try buying some chicken breasts or something at the store and cooking a bunch one weekend and saving them for during the week to make a quick lunch (just reheat). OR, yet another suggestion, have you thought about peapod? it's a grocery delivery service you might want to check out