How to know what to choose?

Options
squeepig
squeepig Posts: 89 Member
At work today, they were serving Polish sausage and sauerkraut (I had it without the sauerkraut). When I look for a similar item in the Food library here, I get anything from 780 calories (!!!!!) for a single sausage to 180 calories. How do you know what to add when eating something like that? It was around 7 inches.

Replies

• 1debbie123
    1debbie123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    go for the sauerkraut (fermented cabbage...better for you in moderation) first and a tad of sausage ....as cured meat is not healthy but very tasty lol....unless you make your own and know what is in it to cure or make it tasty you could do turkey sausage patties or venison jerky or something like that but you have to make it to know what is in it unless you trust the chef/cook/meat connoisseur...is that like a pool boy ..yummy hahahaha...you can substitute give it a try...I sub chicken or turkey bacon but when you want that strong flavor in a dish than hey one time or two in a month is not bad it adds to the different fats that you need in your body ...everything in moderation and for goodness sake imagination is the key so try different things as it get's very boring if you don't ...good luck on your journey...have a great night :smile:
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I choose the closest similar thing I can find if I don't have access to the package to be sure. In this case, I picked Polish Sausage, Pork (the entry with no asterisk, indicating that MFP put it there, not a member) that entry says 1 serving is 10", so I used .7 servings and it came out to 518 calories. (Then I deleted that from my diary since I actually didn't eat it.) This method is close enough to use occasionally. In fact, I'll be using it tomorrow because we're having a snack day at work. I'll know the calories for my sausage balls and my banana bread and take a close guess at the rest. Hope this helps...
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Generally a 6" sausage will run you 180-200 calories, unless it is filled with cheese, that little surprise will add up. That said, a 7" non cheese filled sausage? Maybe 220-230

Also, always go for the bigger one
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Did you have it on a bun? Was it about the size of a smokie? There is one there that says "cafeteria polish sausage" which I am assuming is like one sausage the size of a smokie without the bun. There are also entries for ones with a bun.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Generally a 6" sausage will run you 180-200 calories, unless it is filled with cheese, that little surprise will add up. That said, a 7" non cheese filled sausage? Maybe 220-230

Also, always go for the bigger one

Mmm sausage...Choose the one who will take you home to meet his mother.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Go for the one that takes you to dinner and treats you like a queen. I prefer the larger sausage myself.
  • squeepig
    squeepig Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hahahha, somehow I knew this topic would degrade quickly! *falls out of chair laughing*

No, there was no bun.

It was actually the healthiest choice from what they had in our cafeteria that day. I really need to start bringing my lunch.