are genetics really a big factor?

Options
I have big and thin women on both sides of my family, so if my goal was just a nice flat midsection, would I not be able to achieve that?

Edt: also the ' thin' girls do have a "pooch"

Replies

• chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Genetics play a role if you are not careful - my whole family has large woman running through it...In fact there is not a petite one to be seen!! - I will NEVER be a size two however I have been at a healthy & sexy weight and will be there again.

If you diet in a healthy manner and include both cardio & strength training...genetics will be left in the dust :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes they can play a role but they don't dictate anything.

I always thought because I was built like my dad's side of the family I would always wear large shirts and never be smaller than an 8 or 9....

I wear a medium shirt and a size 6/7 jeans....

I might see a 4 who knows...
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a big enough factor to rule out the possibility of achieving your goals. My entire family, on both sides, are somewhat overweight. There's a few of average size but I come from a family that didn't really emphasize exercise and fitness, so who knows if someone in my family had been incorporating that how it'd be? I thought of never be the size I am. I was 125 lbs and a size 5 in high school with a little tummy, now I'm pretty lean, a size 2 115 lbs. Just have patience. Most people never see their goals realized because they want to race to get there
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    this actually makes me more motivated. thank you all very much
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    You aren't a slave to your genetics.
    Only a slave to your beliefs!
    ;D
  • Dedshot
    Dedshot Posts: 145
    Options
    Like the others said, genetics play a role but I don't think they are something that can't be overcome, in a way. Me, I'm built just like my mom, I hold all my weight in my tummy and thighs. I also lose fat very quickly, just from other areas of my body - arms, calves, shoulders. I know it's going to take a while for me to have a flat tummy because of the way I am hardwired to hold fat there, but I just keep truckin'.
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    There is some basics you can tweak, but not change. We all have a natural shape to some extent. Where I gain weight first and such is just who I am, and genetic. However, I can determine what weight I carry on my frame, what exercise I do, etc to make my body the best it can be.
    I wont every be long, lean and a twiggy. Lol. I am more likely to look like a pro tennis player or gymnast, as I carry large muscle volume in my legs and arms. That is my genetics. What I choose to do with that, that is all mine!
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thx everyone
  • benlambrou
    benlambrou Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think there is genetics involved to a certain point. But I think its more of the learned behavior and lifestyle growing up which makes families be more over weight. Atleast that what i believe in my case.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    genetics determines the shape of your skeleton, how easily you gain muscle and exactly where your body decides it likes to store fat

you control how lean and muscular you are, as in you can lower your body fat percentage by eating and exercising right, and increase the strength and to a limited extent the size of your muscles by working out and eating right. And you can increase your bone density by working out and eating right.

so yes you can be lean. whether you're a size 8 or size 0 when you're lean depends on genetics, but lean looks good naked on all body types.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    genetics determines the shape of your skeleton, how easily you gain muscle and exactly where your body decides it likes to store fat

you control how lean and muscular you are, as in you can lower your body fat percentage by eating and exercising right, and increase the strength and to a limited extent the size of your muscles by working out and eating right. And you can increase your bone density by working out and eating right.

so yes you can be lean. whether you're a size 8 or size 0 when you're lean depends on genetics, but lean looks good naked on all body types.

Exactly

Genetics usually affect muscle shape , body fat distribution and skeletal shape and size . The amount of overall body fat and muscle is determined by your diet and training habits .
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    My parents are both overweight - my dad always has been, even when you see photos of him as a child. His mum was too, until she was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in her 60s and went on a diet. Most of the women on my mum's side of the family are overweight too. We always ate healthily as a family, all home cooked meals, lots of veg, no take-aways, no trips to McDonald's etc. To this day my parents have never had a take-away delivered to their house, and they're 60 and 61!

I was overweight as a teenager, as was my brother. My sister was thin until she was about 17 then she started to gain quite a bit of weight, and now she's quite overweight. My brother and I have worked hard to lose weight and we accept that to be thin we have to exercise a lot and be careful with what we eat all the time.

I'm nearly 36 weeks pregnant now and have exercised and logged food throughout, but I know I will have gained more weight than I'd like to have as genetically I am predisposed to gaining weight easily.

I think you just need to be aware of what works for you and use it, because it is possible to be slim, even if members of your family are not. You just have to work hard for it! I don't think that's always a bad thing as you will be healthier for it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

To add, genetics also plays a role in cholesterol and predisposition to certain illness. I test annually my cholesterol as one indicator of improving my health, but I always know my LDL's will be on the higher side of good because both my mom and dad have higher LDL's.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Genetics determine if you've got a large frame or a small frame... And I guess some people are more prone to gaining more easily than others. But genetics doesn't make you fat or skinny (unless you have some rare disorder)... That's really up to you.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    It is a factor but in no way a rule. My family is all overweight and my sister and I both decided we wanted to see if we could do something about it. Granted, I got pregnant part way into my journey and stopped trying to lose weight but she kept going, she is a size 5 now and (aside from me) nobody else in my family thought it was possible or that she could do it.
    I KNOW I can get there with her someday too.
    If your family is all big, it just means you might have to work a lot harder at it than others.
  • california_haley
    california_haley Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    They play a role but in no way dictate how you will look that is up to you.
    I have big and small people on both sides of my family.
    I was always worried that i would end up looking like my aunts after i got pregnant because their hips grew so much and never went back, but i have now realized that my body isnt built like their bodies so its up to me to get to where i want to be.
    I was a 0 before i got pregnant and i can be that small again if i work at it.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I was adopted and my birth mother was 350 pounds when she had me.
    My family was very healthy growing up, and I was always chubby.
    In fairness, I also had constant cravings for food. I used to tell my parents I hadn't eaten at friends houses even though I had, starting from when I was 5 or 6.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Genetics determine if you've got a large frame or a small frame... And I guess some people are more prone to gaining more easily than others. But genetics doesn't make you fat or skinny (unless you have some rare disorder)... That's really up to you.

By frame do you mean bone size or bone structure... Also, outside of having a medical condition, it takes 3500 calories to gain a lb of fat.. That doesn't matter if you are a man or women. Now some people develop food habits (usually picked up by friends and family) that could affect your choices, but that isn't genetic. Essentially, anyone can be fat and anyone can be fit. The approach might very based on medical history (my wife has to be gluten free and low carb due to a medical condition).