What was your "Ah-ha" moment?

Options
What was the moment you decided you needed to loose weight? Not the, ugh i feel huge today feeling, but the one moment the light bulb went off in your head, and you knew you had to make the change....

I lost 35 lbs on WW a few years ago, i remember that exact moment i made that decision. Since then, i have gained it all back and am waiting for that moment to return. That moment you just tell yourself, its time...

Replies

• SmiththeBat1
    Options
    My moment was when I realised that the clothes I bought for myself only two months ago don't fit me anymore. That shouldn't be right. And when I walk for long periods of time I lose my breath slightly. Enough is enough :smile:
  • butterflyfaerie
    butterflyfaerie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've had a variety across the years, but the most recent is being the most successful at keeping motivated. I went to a convention 4 years ago, where there was a "jocks and cheerleaders" themed party, and I bought a cheerleading uniform for the occasion. It was a little snug, but I loved it all the same. Then 2 years ago, I had the opportunity to wear it to another party, and found it embarrassing, the skirt would ride up, and looking back at pictures, I cringed at how terrible I looked.

I have another convention coming up in June, and one of the themes, yep you guessed it, Jocks and Cheerleaders again. I want to wear my uniform and feel wow in it, instead of feeling sick at the sight of myself.
  • ChantelleSlight
    Options
    Hi, I found that my Aha moment was when I realised that I was coming up to the age my mother died and I didn't want to have my little girl go through what I went through. I must say though, once I made that decision, I have really stuck to it. I love all of the support that I get from the people here, it is wonderful.
  • ThoughtsOfBelle
    ThoughtsOfBelle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My main one was seeing photos from my friend's wedding (in which I was a bridesmaid) and just thinking, "when did i get so huge???"
  • DeanaMarshall
    DeanaMarshall Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I knew something was wrong when I couldn't keep up with my coworkers walking down the hallway. Then, when my doctor told me I should lose 15 lbs. A doctor. Every doctor's appt I've ever been to had been nothing but positive. Hearing it from a doctor really spooked me. Now I feel good, look better, and according my doctor, I am healthier. Every time someone DOESN'T mention that I've lost wieght, I'm motivated to lose more and get them to notice!! LOL!
  • npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Feeling like it a chore to bend over and tie my shoes.....having my mom, who's always struggled with weight give me advice about what to wear/etc. "at our size" .....and knowing I was TOO young to give up and accept being "the fat girl"
  • AmieCrawford
    AmieCrawford Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Mine came when I realized my 10 year reunion was coming and that I wanted to be smaller at that than when I graduated---but there was no way (even at 2 lbs a week). I realized then that (like everyone else's reasons-tired of being physically unable, unattractive, etc.), I wasn't doing what was right for my body or my own sense of control (I had none with food). Surprisingly, as control over food has been mastered, other things in life seem to require less of it. Also, it always felt like bad things happened to me because of my weight and I just accepted that it was the reason I wasn't happy. It's not, but that is a whole other discussion topic :)
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    My 38 waist pants/shorts were getting tight and i saw some photos that i looked really bloated in.
  • Manda1987
    Options
    Put me up on the "fat bridesmaid" list. I was in my friend's wedding in October. She's a size 12 with a Baywatch body, and her MOH is a size 0. I looked awful in her pictures :(
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I hadn't gotten on a scale in years. I always thought that I was still around 180. I was in denial. Then I went to the doctor and they weighed me and casually said, "212", and I thought, "212?!?! When did I break 200??" So then a few months later I weighted again at my heaviest, 218. Since then I've been dieting and trying to exercise. I didn't get much accomplished the first year (got down to 190 or so), but once I moved to Washington DC with my fiance, I dropped 25 lbs and only have 10 more to lose. Back down to my high school fighting weight, which I can barely believe. It took over 2 years but it has been such a great experience to accomplish something that I've never attempted that has made me healthier.

I think back to the day when I finally got down to 199 and how excited I was. I never want to go near that weight ever again. And I know that I'm committed to that.
  • orting514
    Options
    Believe it or not my very first ah hah moment was when i was 19, i had graduated from high school and just woke up one morning and said enouph is enouph, no more "The diet starts tomorrow", and always after eating a BIG meal and feeling guilty, and kicking myself, only to have tomorrow morning come and say screw it! i'll eat what i want! Thats when i first lost 60+ pounds, i actually got underwieght at one point, and friends were telling me "Carol eat something your to thin!" I kept the wieght off for about 12-13 years, when i got pregnant, and made the mistake of "Eating for 2", gained 50 pounds, 10 between my daughter and son, and another 25 with my son, then more on! Ive had it on ever since. Now its not so much of an ah hah moment, i was just surfing the web for some kind of support group, and stumbled on this site. Now im 50, and its an act of congress to drop the wieght, i guess what they say is true, the older you get, the harder it is to loose wieght, oy vay!
    Carol