topamax

Options
Has anybody been given Topamax for help with weight loss? I am wondering how well it worked and if you had any side effects with it. Thanks.

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    My sister was on it ... I think she might still be. I will tell her to come post in this forum :)
  • lbmarshall23
    lbmarshall23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sister here!

I am on Topamax! Some people have lost a ton of weight on this drug but it depends. I've lost about 10 pounds because soda tastes disgusting to me, I can't quite figure out why. It will suppress your appetite right away though if you're one of the lucky ones this happens to. If you're lucky I would still continue to have a balanced diet because if you ever do go off the drug the weight can come back and plus some! I'm not sure if you've been prescribed yet, but make sure to drink plenty of water!!! If not it can cause kidney stones. I hope this helped some, feel free to add me if you have questions, plus I need MFP friends for motivation :)

Side Effects: Tingling of hands and feet randomly, and sometimes I forget things..
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Topamax is an anti-psychotic.
    It isn't really intended for weight loss, but it is in fact a side effect (by way of decreased appetite and foods tasting like metal.)
    I was on it to help with migraines, and I didn't lose weight.
  • lbmarshall23
    Options
    Anti Seizure on the label and a mood stabilizer for bipolar (that's why I'm on it). But I've heard that some doctors are starting to use it off the label for weight loss, I'm not sure how often though. But yes, the metal taste is what pop tastes like for me! Weird.
  • DeterminedMomma4
    Options
    I was prescribed it today by my neurologist to help with weight loss. Sort of nervous about having bad/serious side effects while on it. I know that there is also a new drug out that is Topamax and Phentermine combined that is FDA approved for weight loss.
  • amandamccraneyrichard
    Options
    I was on topamax for migraines. Be warned...it turned me into a stupid person. My brain just did not work like it did before the topamax. I would be having a conversation with a co-worker and forget the name of every day common objects. I would be typing an email and although the words looked right to my eyes, they would actually be very similar, but not quite right, words. I seriously thought I had a brain tumor because I felt like I was losing my mind. I was so glad when my doctor took me off of it and told me that doctors sometimes call it dope-a-max because it makes some people totally dopey. A few days off of it and I was back to normal.
  • lbmarshall23
    Options
    The "Dopamax" is probably the most serious side effect you'll have to worry about, that's terrible it was that bad. I hope I don't get like that :/

If the side effects out weight the benefits then talk to your neurologist, there may be something better!
  • marybowldseddington
    marybowldseddington Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    topomax also called dopomax because you become very forgetful. So become skinny but dumb.

It makes you not taste carbonation and more serious side effects are it can make you stop sweating so you can overheat esp when exercising.

It can also cause vision problems.

Great drug for seizures and bi-polar if you can stand the side effects. I have heard it being used in conjunction with other meds for weight loss but personally it causes way to many side effects. Weigh your options carefully and hope you dont have the side effects.
  • KCSF
    KCSF Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been on Topamax for over 10 years for seizures. I have not seen any weight loss. I take it at bedtime and that greatly eliminates me feeling foggy or forgetful. It is a drug your body gets dependent on so if you use it for weight control, you might just gain all the weight back as soon as you stop taking it.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I was on Topamax for a couple of years for vertigo possibly associated as a migraine variant. Dopamax is right, though. In the first week, I left my laptop at home when I needed it as school. Then left my purse at school and drove home. I'm a teacher. I'd sit at my desk at school and think, "let's see, I think I'm supposed to take roll now!"

I did lose about 5 pounds in the first few weeks, but that was about it. The weight returned when my body got used to the medication.
  • kadams111
    kadams111 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost 103 lbs taking Topamax 200mg twice daily for seizures.
  • Julslilly1
    Julslilly1 Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    kadams111 wrote: »
    I lost 103 lbs taking Topamax 200mg twice daily for seizures.

That's amazing. Where you able to keep it off? Are you still taking? I just started last week.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm on 150mg daily for Topamax. I highly doubt that 103 pounds just fell off from taking Topamax alone.

The weight loss effects from taking the drug come in the initial phase of taking it and wear off over time. As do the dopamax effects. Then again, maybe I just don't notice it. I'm getting up there in years, to me, forgetting the name of things on occasion is a normal part of life when you're 52. It doesn't happen with alarming frequency or near as much as it did when I started the drug. I've been on it for about 2 years.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Anti Seizure on the label and a mood stabilizer for bipolar (that's why I'm on it). But I've heard that some doctors are starting to use it off the label for weight loss, I'm not sure how often though. But yes, the metal taste is what pop tastes like for me! Weird.

Off-label prescribing can be so dangerous, especially something that is prescribed for seizures, migraines and bipolar disorder. I would really hate for people to get the idea of asking their doctors for Topamax just for weight loss, because many doctors might just comply. (See John Oliver's brilliant segment about this from this past weekend's "Last Week Tonight".)

And if your doctor ever does prescribe it just for weight loss, well, I'd question that doctor's sanity, but don't ever stop taking it cold turkey, and always check for drug interations. There are several hundred drug interactions for Topamax.

• vbrn924
    vbrn924 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed it today by my neurologist to help with weight loss. Sort of nervous about having bad/serious side effects while on it. I know that there is also a new drug out that is Topamax and Phentermine combined that is FDA approved for weight loss.

I highly doubt a neurologist would prescribe topamax to your specifically for weight loss...

• MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I was on topamax for four months for siezures. I experienced many side effects. I lost a lot of weight because it killed my appetite and altered the way food tasted so I didn't eat much. It also really impaired my concentration and speech. I literally had difficulty putting simple sentences together at times, and it was so frustrating. I would also get strange painful tingling in my feet, that would wake me up at night. I began taking it in July, which is significant because I love yard work and summer temps where I live frequently get into the 90's with high humidity. I found that while taking it my body could no longer regulate its temperature, nor would I get signals that I was overheating. I would stop sweating and not realize it until I was stumbling around with terrible tunnel vision. I finally quit taking it when my kidneys began to hurt. I found that I also couldn't control the weight loss, and actually had to gain weight by the time I stopped taking it. I was around 155 pounds when I started topamax, and quickly got down to 105. I am now 117, so I didn't gain all the weight back, but I had replaced a seizure medication that did put weight on me. That was my experience with it - everyone is different.

If I were you I would do your research and weigh the pros and cons. If you decide to take it drink a lot of water throughout the day, everyday. Be very careful driving when you first get on it. If you stay on it for any length of time I would recommend getting regular blood tests done to check your kidney function. Good luck to you!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Goodness no!

I was on anti-seizure medications after brain surgery and didn't like them at all.
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I would never use drugs with neurological side effects to lose weight. Put in the blood sweat and tears and you'll be more proud of yourself when you reach your goals. I have bad migraines and wouldn't even use it for that. I actually think your neurologist is not a very good doctor if they are prescibing a seizure med solely for the purpose of weight loss. If it's for other issues as well, then you have a decision to make.......i decided to keep using my abortive meds and manage my migraines with my diet!