Weight Loss and Weight Lifting

Options
Valqis
Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
I just got out of a lunch and learn and was advised that in order to lose weight and lean up, i have to do both cardio and lift weights, or i will be a flabby smaller version of myself. I have never thought of this before.

Replies

• norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Actually you can lean up without doing either as long as you eat with a consistent and accurate caloric deficit. I think everyone should do cardio and lifting anyway I'm just saying they are not the key nor the only way. I was doing both and not losing any weight. It wasn't until I joined this site and started tracking and having control over my diet with a 200 calorie deficit then I lost 16 lbs and have not gained any back.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I've always been curious to know what is considered to be "doing weights"...I have always been naturally muscular, and strength is necessary for much of what I do, but I have never formally "lifted weights".
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've always been curious to know what is considered to be "doing weights"...I have always been naturally muscular, and strength is necessary for much of what I do, but I have never formally "lifted weights".

Picking up a dumbbell lifting it 6-12 times rest for 30 seconds and repeat 4 times then move onto a different lift. At MINIMUM that is what I consider weight lifting.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Strength training while losing maintains muscle mass, which yes, will produce better results than if muscle mass is lost. It should be some sore of progressive strength exercise. I like Stronglifts 5x5. I've also heard good things about convict conditioning if you don't have gym access.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    From my point of view (Personal Trainer), I say that the BEST way to lose weight is to combine all 3. A good diet, cardio, and weight training. There are sooo many benefits to strength training.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    So is bodyweight exercise( pushups, chin ups, etc) considered strength training, or not?
  • countrygirl7mels
    Options
    From my point of view (Personal Trainer), I say that the BEST way to lose weight is to combine all 3. A good diet, cardio, and weight training. There are sooo many benefits to strength training.

This is the best advice on this thread.
  • Ang019
    Ang019 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes it is!