Is Sea Salt better then Regular Salt?

Replies

• MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    sea salt
  • GFPeggy11
    Options
    It's reported to be better. Supposed to have more minerals that we need...
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    As far as being better for you... I agree with GFPeggy. I definitely think it tastes better than regular table salt.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    THEY SAY SEA SALT, BUT YOU KNOW SCIENCE!! That could change in a few years!! :bigsmile:
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Table salt is more processed. Different taste and texture for sea salt. So I guess less processing is better, Both have the same chemical makeup.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I personally use a product called No Salt, which is kind of a misnomer...but still, it is potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride. Same taste as table salt, but no sodium at all.

There's so much salt added to everything we eat, that I can't add anything extra to it with a clear conscience. Since my parents started using the No Salt, my dad's heart issues (he had a heart attack a few years ago) have fell off the radar. He didn't change anything else, but the doctor told him to lay off the salt. Now he's on no heart meds whatsoever and he made a 99% recovery from the attack.

Is it a "miracle" product? No...but I consider a better choice.
  • MalabarDietClub
    Options
    Table salt is more processed. Different taste and texture for sea salt. So I guess less processing is better, Both have the same chemical makeup.
    If they had the same chemical makeup, then they would be identical, but they don't.

Table salt is usually fairly pure NaCl or Sodium Chloride. Here in Australia we often have iodine added to it in order to prevent birth defects in fetuses. Other than that the only ingredient is an anti-caking agent such as rice flour to ensure it doesn't stick together.

Sea salt also has some other elements in it such as magnesium and sulfur.
    I don't think that there is much difference between the two health wise, so pick the one that tastes better.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    if you are really serious about cooking one salt is not enough. personally I don't touch table salt, I don't know if its the anti clumping agents or the iodine or just the refinement process but when I cook with it something is just off. I keep three different salts in my kitchen. my main all purpose cooking salt is corse ground kosher, I used to use sea salt until I started paying for it I found I like the kosher better. it tends to pull water out of the food, particularly vegetables, witch intensifies the flavors as a result I tend to use less salt. I do still keep sea salt around, but use it as a finishing touch. its the kind of thing you add at the table that way your not wasting its two biggest assets the distinct crunch of sea salt and the added flavors of the trace minerals. I also keep popcorn/pickling salt around for well popcorn or any application where I'm dissolving salt in a cold liquid. pickling salt id basically kosher salt that is milled to a very fine powder. I should add that most kosher salt is mined from natural salt deposits while sea salt comes from evaporating sea water either by the sun or with the help[ of a kiln. both contain similar trace minerals, but the flavor is more noticeable in the sea salt when added on top of the food, also because of the way it is milled it never really dissolves so it can create this pleasant crunch.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Thank you Lyadeia and thank you soysos. Some great information from you both.