Almost at goal weight- want to start toning & gaining muscle

Options
2»

Replies

• harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    my trainer has added a kettle ball to mine AFTER she announced on the track that I was at the "jiggly" part of my weight loss and needed to put my booty BACK where it belonged. I do a lot of planks, squats, lunges and burpees as well. Toning is a BIG part of weight loss--jiggling is not pretty---I guess................
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    my trainer has added a kettle ball to mine AFTER she announced on the track that I was at the "jiggly" part of my weight loss and needed to put my booty BACK where it belonged. I do a lot of planks, squats, lunges and burpees as well. Toning is a BIG part of weight loss--jiggling is not pretty---I guess................

toning shmoning...

what you mean is reducing bodyfat....
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I just started month four of ChaLean. Google it. It is strenght training 3x a week plus cardio 2x. I usually run on the extra off day. I'm lifting 8-25 lbs.

Or about the same as a gallon of milk and a bag of dog food.
  • Zakiya05
    Zakiya05 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as the orginal poster. I am 5'2 and 106.6 pounds my goal weight is 105. I am curently in my 3rd week of Focus T25, I have lost 15 pounds since completeing Insanity and starting T25. I don;t have the body I want at this weight, so now I am thinking it's time to tone. I don't want to be a toothpick with a flabby stomach, I want to be toned. I might just try this Charlene Extreme that the other ladies have mentioned. Previously I have stayed away from weight training, because I do not like muscular arms, and I get muscle arms pretty fast. But I think in order for me to get the body I want I need more strength training and to up my calories. However, I am not ready to up my calories until after the Holidays. Glad I found this post. Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions!
  • fashionosack
    Options
    Hello, push-ups exercise the pectoral muscles is the best exercise, do push-ups when the distance between the two arms of exercise on muscle has a great influence, his arms wide training headquarters farther muscles, the more narrow the more practice the three muscles, in order to faster practicing middle of the chest muscles, I suggest you do the birds with a dumbbell exercise, there is a spring arm is also good.
  • scimitarslash
    scimitarslash Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As has been said, Cardio is fine, but if looking to gain, you'll need to eat back the calories, so therefore I'd keep the sessions short.

As for programs, you've already been given a few, so just to add Strong lifts 5x5, and Staring strength.

I'd keep to the basics - Full body work as opposed to a split - Just my 2 pence worth.

I'd also disagree with the wording on one of Glewry's points - "Weight machines are great for isolating the muscles and they reduce the risk of injury".... Not having a pop at Glewry here, but I hate this statement.... Just watch the people using the chest press with their head off the support (brings shoulders in to the lift, injury risk)..... That statement need one thing adding - "Weight machines are great for isolating the muscles and they reduce the risk of injury, Providing they are used correctly"...

In saying that, I'd still go for free weights, keep it light, and Nail the form first, Good form > Heavier weight, all day long... It'll also reduce injury risk, and once the forms drummed into you, you'll keep that wen you increase the weights later
    I'm going to take this a s step further. "Machines are great for isolating muscles and reduce the risk of injury" and "Providing they are used correctly" Partially true partially not. Weight machines reduce the risk of pinning youself under a bar, or possibly dropping a dumbell, or any of a slew of other accidents that can happen with free weights, but Machines do not reduce joint injury, some might argue that they facilitate it by limiting your natural range of motion. Not everyone is built the same and therefore putting everyone into the same range of motion track can cause problems.
    Not trying to blast anyone here just wanted to point it out. My two cents don't be afraid of free weights if, just lift correctly, and intelligently nad always, ALWAYS use a spotter on hevy compund lifts.
  • jakkidoodles
    Options
    Bit late on this, but can't recommend 'Callanetics' more. It tones EVERYWHERE. twice a week with a couple of cardio sessions and you will see a big difference in 4 weeks. Good luck :) x