Want to Run a Half Marathon But...

Options
Hi guys, over the weekend I decided that I'm going to run my first Half Marathon next year. I'm wayy overweight but I think with the time frame I have to train with, I'll be able to drop quite a bit of it. Now I do have a problem and I hope someone can help me.

This past summer I had still been doing my cycling and found that I started having some pain in my lower back on one side. Took my bike in and had it adjusted and it seemed to do the trick. Now lately I've been trying to do the 5m/1m and finding that that same side is hurting after just a short while, even if I just walk it.

Now, how can just one side of your back hurt? It's pretty isolated and I do get it massaged out on a daily basis. It seems like I can't do much for running or walking, UNLESS I am pushing a cart, stroller, wheelchair, etc. How does that happen? I'm guessing it's probably a posture issue with how drastic my weight has changed in both directions but I don't even know where to start on this without going to a PT. Don't trust them anymore after they hurt my neck and knee.

Any ideas? I really want to do this Half Marathon with my son and don't want to be taken down by something trivial. Thanks.

Replies

• pursuinghappiness
    Options
    How are your shoes? They can play a HUGE role in back pain.
  • nikinphila
    Options
    it may be a herniated disc if it hurts all the time. you also could have strained a muscle or ligament. there are lots of things it could be...yes it is possibe to hurt one side of your back, though. i would go to a doctor and get a mri if it continues to bother you.

i would love to do a half marathon also. i am very far from this goal also, though. i can only run for a few minutes without being completely winded. how are you training for this and when do you plan on running it?
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I would recommend picking up a book called "ChiRunning" or "ChiWalking" and work on form. I had back issues for a while but come to find out that is where I was feeling the pain but not where the issue is coming from. I had some major form issues. I took up minimalist running and worked on form. Running minimalist is not for everyone, but it worked for me. The point is that form plays a big role in how we feel when we run. There are some good stretches and strengthening exercises in both books too.

Good Luck on your goal.
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am actually going to school to become a physical therapist (they aren't all that bad!) and while my mom was at her chiropractor he showed her some tricks to loosen out her lower back/ hip region. All you need is one of the giant exercise balls! What you do is sit on it with her knees bent out in front of you. Then move around in the shape of the alphabet (all letters A-Z) with your feet firmly on the floor. This should help stretch you out a little before you exercise and help relieve some of your lower back pain. I hope it works for you! I'm actually starting to train to run a 4k over the summer with my dad and I can't wait!
    Good Luck!
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    You may have a Sciatica issue. I was having the same issue and I looked it up online.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I get the same problem - my right hip/lower back gets really tense with exercise (cycling and running, mostly). I stretch every evening and it helps a lot. There are some great stretches that target your glutes/lower back/hips that I would recommend you try and repeat often. I just posted this elsewhere, but it's my favourite stretch: Sit cross-legged on the floor with your ankles under your knees. Hinge forward from the hips and work your forehead towards the floor. You should feel a stretch in your lower back/glutes. For a deeper stretch on the side that bothers you, have the leg of that side of your body in the 'top' position of the crossed legs and stretch your torso over the opposite leg, trying to get your chest all the way down on top of that leg.

Sorry if the explanation doesn't make sense. I do this stretch every evening for about 5 minutes and it makes all the difference for me.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    it can be all the things people have mentioned already but also have you ever broken a bone on that side of your body. sometimes legs can be slightly shorter on one side for many reasons and it can be noticed when exercising. If your insurace would cover it i would consider seeing a Chiropractor if simple changes like stretching and new properly fitted shoes don't help
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I second the shoe idea. I am training for a half marathon that I'm running in January. I finally caved and went to a running store and got real running shoes. They take the time to watch your running and walking so as to get the right kind of shoe for you. It makes all the difference as far as the aches and pains in my back and legs. Just something to check out!
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas. In response to the

Shoes: The first thing I did was buy proper running shoes. I overpronate so I spent the extra money to get fitted for the proper shoes and insoles. Bought several pairs so that I could just swap out when the mileage ran out on each pair.

Broken bones: One leg IS longer than the other and it's the right one that is hurting and sciatica was ruled out.

Exercises: Like I said earlier, if I am pushing a cart or something it actually doesn't hurt. Earlier this year we took a wheelchair bound relative and I pushed her the whole time for 10 hrs with no help. I didn't hurt once so I suspect something with my stance and posture since this didn't start happening till my back loosened up from my car accident a couple months ago.

I will work on the exercises and core strengthening right now. Does anyone know what yoga poses are good for the lower back? Thanks for the feedback!
  • isislc
    Options
    Oh I forgot, I'm scared of chiropractors!!! Scares the hell out of my to have my back and neck cracked.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Oh I forgot, I'm scared of chiropractors!!! Scares the hell out of my to have my back and neck cracked.

As you should be. They're snake-oil salesmen and dangerous because of it. People don't seem to understand they have no medical training. They're not doctors. They're quacks. Anyone that wants to argue the benefits, please do. AFTER you do some research on the subject. The creator was a known con-man. It can be very dangerous to have so-called adjustments which aren't adjustments at all. Go to a real doctor not a con-man. Go to a physical therapist instead at least they have to have a medical degree before they put their hands on you.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I would recommend picking up a book called "ChiRunning" or "ChiWalking" and work on form. ...... I took up minimalist running and worked on form. Running minimalist is not for everyone, but it worked for me. The point is that form plays a big role in how we feel when we run. There are some good stretches and strengthening exercises in both books too.

I completed my first marathon in October and used the ChiRunning book as one of my resources. I've taken a course from a certified instructor and used this book. I too agree form was the biggest thing for me to learn as I'd never previously been a runner. My shoes are minimalist (Terra Plana) which I'm really happy with you.
  • isislc
    Options
    BoreEasily - My fear is mainly because here in my state we had a rash of deaths of patients that had their neck adjusted. As a result, they were dead in 24 hrs because it had severed an artery and the patients weren't aware it happened till they were rushed to the hospital. I know this is a rarity, but I've always been one of those peeps that was IN the percentage. Would rather eliminate that risk and just adjust my back and neck naturally with a foam roller.

Mlb929 - Yeah, I'm thinking the posture is my main problem. The last couple of days I've been doing my usual routine with my walks and stairs when I need to get the temperatures in the building. Today, the pain was almost very minimal. I've been working on forcing an upright posture to help curve my back and it has worked quite well. Right now the only thing REALLY bothering me is my poor legs and hips from all the stair use I've been getting! lol.

I will look into the reading materials everyone has recommended and my boot camp starts again with an extra course in core work to help strengthen the back. I'm sure this will help set me straight. Thanks guys.