What are good boxing gloves for a beginner?

Options
I am absolutely loving boxing! :love: It is awesome - good workout and I get to beat the living cr*p out of stuff! - What more could a girl want?

I want to get my own gloves, are a basic pair from somewhere like Sports Direct ok? And this binding stuff - do I need to get some of that as well?

Thanking you peeps! :smile:

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I assume you're hitting a bag? As a beginner, I was steered toward 12oz gloves from Revgear... like these...
    http://www.amazon.com/Revgear-Elite-Leather-Boxing-Gloves/dp/B008NKT5SC

I'm sure vinyl ones would be ok too, though not as durable... the weight is what's important. Binding tape not necessary for basic beating the crap out of a bag kind of stuff.

Have fun!
  • catsandtats
    catsandtats Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    YAY! I love it too and for precisely the reasons you state!

Honestly, I am not that into general gear snobbery, so I would say that you should get a pair that fits you well and that you can afford.

That said, when I was training 4-6 hours a week, I wanted a pair that would take the abuse. I use ladies size small bag gloves (the kind with the little finger holes and the wrist brace) from the brand Harbinger. They have held up VERY well.

I have a pair of Rev Gear 14 oz gloves that I really like. I can hit harder with them, but I tend to prefer to use bag gloves for better ventilation.

I like to use wraps when using my 14 oz gloves because my hands get too sweaty without them, but people also just use gloves all on their own. You can use wraps all on their own if you wish.

So: tl;dr, it's a lot of personal preference in my experience, but out of my wraps, gloves, and bag gloves, I use my Harbinger bag gloves the most above all else. (They are like these: http://harbingerfitness.com/product/322/)
  • BonecrusherBrews
    BonecrusherBrews Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I want to start doing this! I'm going to look into getting a heavy bag and maybe a speedbag for the basement. I think it's so cool and a great workout!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Getting them at a local sports store is fine. Everlast is probably the most popular. Do you need hand wraps? Well it does reduce the sweat build up in the gloves (keeping them drier and less prone to getting stinky) and if you hit hard, helps with wrist support.

If you're willing to spend some good money on gloves though I suggest RIVAL. I have a pair of the Pro Hook and Loop ones and love 'em. Of course I instruct, so having a good pair of gloves that will virtually last forever is a must.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! Useful to know all this stuff - I think the amount of use I'll get out of them I'll get something basic for the time being.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I`ve been boxing with a trainer for several years and was lucky enough that a pro recommended these guys - http://gsboxing.com - their gloves are the same price five or take as Everlast but they last MUCH longer - Cheaper gloves tend to have less padding over the hand and use a plastic plate inside the glove as as substitute - I would beat through and break the plate on ever last gloves in about 6 months of use - My first pair of GS gloves lasted well over a year before they got a little thin - I decided I needed to go up to a heavier glove for the second pair and these have been going strong for year and show no signs go getting thin
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Get some gloves that fit you and that have ample padding. I'd probably start on the cheap end and, if you stick with it, you can look into something that will hold up to continued use. Also, look into a pair of wrist wraps. They're inexpensive and can help avoid injuries.
  • patsully98
    patsully98 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had a pair of 16 oz Everlast that lasted a good long time through plenty of hard sparring. I'd say that wraps are even more important than the gloves. The human hand is a lousy club, and properly wrapping your hands keeps all the little tiny bones a bit safer. Get the longest ones you can find and have someone show you how to do it, because it's a little tricky. Chin down, hands up!
  • Judahsdad
    Options
    excellent advice patsully98. I have a heavy bag and speed bag in the g-rage and its perfect as soon as i get home i can just open the garage and get busy. I bought a round timer too, this helps monitor intensity. Since just wailing on the bag without a predetermined variable is not really effective. I bought wrist wraps that a made like workout gloves. They are gel padded around the knuckles and back of hand and then i just slip my actual gloves over them. My wife and i love the heavy bag workout.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Getting them at a local sports store is fine. Everlast is probably the most popular. Do you need hand wraps? Well it does reduce the sweat build up in the gloves (keeping them drier and less prone to getting stinky) and if you hit hard, helps with wrist support.

If you're willing to spend some good money on gloves though I suggest RIVAL. I have a pair of the Pro Hook and Loop ones and love 'em. Of course I instruct, so having a good pair of gloves that will virtually last forever is a must.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I would give this advice. I don't use gloves most of the time though because I find them to be cumbersome. I do use wraps to support my wrist and prevent rashes on my knuckles from hitting the bag.

I use one-pound weighted gloves for shadow boxing.

ETA: If you really want to get into boxing, invest in a jump rope, too.