eating after attending the gym?

Options
I am training at the gym every day, i do both cardio and strength workouts and its going well, the problem i have is that i workout at night, i eat at around 2-3pm and go to the gym at 8pm, i work out until 10pm....thats when the hunger kicks in, question is what can i eat at that time of night, its a long haul from 3pm to 7-8 am, any ideas?

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Can you eat before the gym? Not immediately before but later than 2-3? I work 8-4:30, have dinner at 5 and go to the gym around 6. I'm always hungry by 8 so I have a nighttime snack.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I am training at the gym every day, i do both cardio and strength workouts and its going well, the problem i have is that i workout at night, i eat at around 2-3pm and go to the gym at 8pm, i work out until 10pm....thats when the hunger kicks in, question is what can i eat at that time of night, its a long haul from 3pm to 7-8 am, any ideas?

Forget the time, eat what you would normally eat. I'm pretty sure the myth that eating late at night makes you fat has been well and truly debunked by now

I guess you don't want anything to heavy that would make sleeping difficult, but as long as it fits into your calorie requirements, you won't put on weight
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what time you eat. As long as you stay within your caloric allowance you are golden.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I find that fruit right after the gym helps give me the carbohydrates that i am needing at that moment, as well as water, protein, nutrients, etc. I recover faster when i eat fruit right after the gym.
  • msw278
    msw278 Posts: 5
    Options
    some great advice and so quickly thanks guys. TONIGHT WE FEAST.... no just joking lol
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I almost always I have a protein shake after I finish at the gym. My protein shake is homemade though, I use a cup of skim milk, 2 scoops nestle chocolate powder, and 1 scoop of isopure unflavored protein. I don't' use chocolate milk often enough before it goes bad so that's why there chocolate powder is in there. Regular chocolate milk works great though! The shake is about 270 calories, but after working out, your body needs the protein and chocolate milk is a well-known great post-workout drink- and it's filling. :) I work out at night, but not as late as you, usually anytime between 4:30-6:30 for roughly an hour 6 days. I also usually have a small snack around 4 so that I'm not working out hungry.

Hope that helps! Also, eating late at night is a myth as someone said before. It's mainly because what a lot of people eat late at night are things like chocolate, ice cream, and chips and they munch on quite a bit.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    See my blog http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jim9097

Specifically, towards the bottom I talk about Anytime Meals vs Post Workouts meals. Not only can you eat after hitting the gym you should. After a workout you need to get energy to the muscles, eating after a workout will allow you to utilize your insulin response to truck nutrients to the muscles for repair and recover.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

I'm assuming you're an adult and have the means to acquire your own food? Then you can eat anything you want at that time of night.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Drink a protein shake. Nobody wants to cook at 10 at night, and you'll get in some protein. It'll help with recovery as well.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    eat what you want when you want
  • jahoolie
    jahoolie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A scoop of protein powder in water is a must for me after every workout no matter what time. I don't like to get too full before bed so something to get me rejuvenated after the workout and keeping within my calorie count is important. I too don't think eating before bed is horrible but I sleep better when I'm not full of food.
  • akp314
    akp314 Posts: 2
    Options
    I think you need to add another meal between 3pm and 10pm. Ideally you should be eating small meals every 3-4 hours. Working out without any energy from food will starve your body and it will start breaking down muscle mass instead of fat, which defeats the purpose of doing strength training. Taking in a sufficient amount of calories during the day (but not too many) is crucial in maintaining a good metabolism. After the gym, I'd suggest having a protein shake. Make sure you buy protein powder rather than bottled sugary protein shakes.
  • akp314
    akp314 Posts: 2
    Options
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I usually do a protein shake and maybe a few hard boiled eggs if I'm really hungry. I push protein and hydration after a workout, but as long as it's within my calorie goals I'll eat whatever is there.
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    When I'm doing an evening workout, I personally feel better when I eat before the gym, but at least an hour before. Trying to run 5 miles on a treadmill with food and drink bouncing around in my stomach is unpleasant at best. I have to give it time to digest and cycle through my body a bit.

After my workout, I usually have something light, like fruit or a salad if I'm hungry. Maybe there's nothing to the "don't eat right before you go to bed" theory, but I find I feel better when I don't load up before bed.

I also have been trying to go the more traditional European route: My biggest meal of the day is lunch. Dinner is generally smaller for me. Not sure if that helps or hurts or doesn't matter.

But that's just me, and what my body prefers.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I'm a late night lifter like yourself. You can eat whatever you want so long as it fits your goals. personally I like to get in some protein after a workout. I keep some Quest bars and jerky in my bag for the ride home, then I'll have some ice cream, a small salad, pudding, or whatever I'm in the mood for that night to round out my macros. Last night it was just a Quest bar, Monday night I had some chocolate. Eating late at night won't kill you, just fit it into your goals.

Rigger
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I train right after work for a couple hours 4-6 days per week. I find that if I eat a little protein/carbs about an hour before it will keep me sustained so I'm not totally famished by the time I get home. (Think 3oz of chicken, or a scoop of protein powder in water, or an egg or a handful of almonds and a piece of fruit.) When I get home I just eat dinner.

I have had acid reflux so I find I feel better if I eat at least a couple hours before bed but if that isn't a thing for you I wouldn't worry about eating and going right to bed. For muscle recovery blah blah blah obviously a high protein meal of some sort would be ideal, but honestly if it fits in your calorie budget eat whatevs. :)
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I follow a similar schedule, but I eat at around 5 or 6. Which gives me sometimes 3 hours before I hit the gym afterwards if I fill hungry I'll just eat a protein bar. Usually I'm in bed an hour after I come home from the gym so there isn't a lot of time for hunger to set in.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym straight after work and go to school straight after that. Usually, I don't get to eat dinner until 10-10:30 PM. I usually eat some granola and yogurt at about 3:45 to have the energy for my workout at 5. I'll eat a snack at about 6:30 so I am not stupid hungry waiting for dinner. If it fits your calories and macros, it doesn't matter when you eat.