Do I need negative net calories to loose weight?

Options
Like let's say I eat 1200 calories and burn off 650 and that would put me at 550 net calories, will I still loose weight? Or do I need to burn off everything, I'm at school or busy, and I can run or do hard cardio, so it's had to get to... Will I loose weight if my net calorie intake is bellow the recremened 1200?

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    GTFO
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to equal the net, not be below it.
  • CantarellaMiyani
    CantarellaMiyani Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    MFP already works your desired weight loss into the calorie plan they give you. So eat the number they tell you to eat, or you're more likely to stall your own weight loss. Eat back some of your exercise calories - some people eat back half, some eat back all.

Don't ever burn off EVERYTHING, or even nearly everything. You burn a bunch just by being alive and conscious, and MFP works those in too.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    On the off chance that you're asking a serious question and not simply trolling, I'll answer seriously. You should never net below 1200 calories. The deficit is already included in the set-up. To burn off every calorie you eat means you leave nothing to fuel your body's basic processes like, you know, heart pumping, kidneys eliminating, that sort of thing. You don't want your organs to shut down, so fuel them properly.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    On the off chance that you're asking a serious question and not simply trolling, I'll answer seriously. You should never net below 1200 calories. The deficit is already included in the set-up. To burn off every calorie you eat means you leave nothing to fuel your body's basic processes like, you know, heart pumping, kidneys eliminating, that sort of thing. You don't want your organs to shut down, so fuel them properly.

I'd even add that even 1200 net is often too low.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    Options

Yes! Eat, people. Eat!
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

For some people, not everyone - if it was really that unhealthy to go below 1200 - MFP would never set it at that. Liability issues!

However, OP - you want to net as close to the MFP recommendation as possible, whether that be 1200 or 1700 or 2500. So the more you exercise the more you get to eat.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

For some people, not everyone - if it was really that unhealthy to go below 1200 - MFP would never set it at that. Liability issues!

However, OP - you want to net as close to the MFP recommendation as possible, whether that be 1200 or 1700 or 2500. So the more you exercise the more you get to eat.

Actually, it doesn't set below 1200. Many people put in "2lbs a week" and MFP spits out 1200 calories when it would probably take less to achieve said 2lb a week goal.

OP is also "18" and according to her post, she exercises. So, unless she's 3ft tall 1200 net is too low.
  • jlynnm70
    Options
    I know it doesn't set below 1200 - I said if it was unhealthy to set at 1200 MFP wouldn't do it - I also said NET is whatever your goal is - whether that be 1200 or 2500. I can set mine at low activity and .5 per week - it still spits out 1200 because I'm short - I just eat back my exercise calories to net 1200. 1200 isn't always too low for EVERYBODY. If it was the minimum MFP would set would be 1500 - or some other number.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    Options
    I'm sorry to diagree, but just because MFP sets a 1200 calorie goal, that does not mean it's okay. So many people are eating below their BMRs. MFP has given males 1200 calorie goals, and that's not right in any case. It's been a while since I signed up, but I'm pretty sure we "signed" some kind of agreement releasing them from any liability and telling everyone to be sure to consult with a doctor.
  • jlynnm70
    Options
    It doesn't mean it is wrong either
    Anytime anyone says they are following MFP at 1200 they get ripped into on the boards - that isn't right either. They are just following the program.

1200 isn't too low for everyone - for some yes - others no.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Like let's say I eat 1200 calories and burn off 650 and that would put me at 550 net calories, will I still loose weight? Or do I need to burn off everything, I'm at school or busy, and I can run or do hard cardio, so it's had to get to... Will I loose weight if my net calorie intake is bellow the recremened 1200?

Your net should be AT LEAST 1200. The way you're doing it you'll not only lose weight you'll probably end up in the hospital with nutrition deficiencies. Your body needs calories to survive.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

1200 + 650 = 1850 ..............You could eat THIS everyday.......and still lose weight.

MFP gives you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. When you log exercise it adds the calories back. This is because netting 550 calories (on a regular basis) is scary, unhealthy. Here's why, your body is using calories 24/7.....lungs, kidneys, heart muscle....your body needs these calories at a minimum, or it will take nourishment from other sources (ie: lean muscle).

Now - where did the number 650 come from? Some people will tell you that eating back calories doesn't work.....it does...PROVIDED you have accurate calorie burn info (MFP & machines are generous) ....and PROVIDED you are logging food accurately.

Suggestion - don't do just cardio. Cardio is good for your heart.....but strength training is good for "shaping" your body.