weight loss over 40

Options
I am trying to lose 20 lbs I am 46 and 170lbs I am currently training for a 10 mile race I've been running or walking 6 days a week since november and I have not lost one pound... I am looking for advice. Just from the extra calories I should have lost 5-10lbs! I really don't get it! I am a very healthy eater. I usually have a cheat one day a week but its usually wine and not food that causes the trouble..

Replies

• ldicianno
    ldicianno Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh ya and I'm 5'8
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'd just suggest getting a food scale and measuring everything for a couple of weeks to make sure you're not eating more than you think. If you use a heart rate monitor, you'll also have more accurate calorie burns to track. Generally, we tend to overestimate our calorie burn and underestimate our calorie intake.

Keep up the good work!

ETA: I'd also point out that 20 lbs to lose is going to go much slower than if you had much more to lose. You'll get there!
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    You can do it..I am almost 43 and started in January 2013..have lost 42 lbs thus far..now I am working on getting ripped. I will say it is a bit more challenging at this age but do-able..best of luck to you!
  • lmjblues
    lmjblues Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya... Been trying to lose the same 20lbs for months and months. I try and then get discouraged and throw in the towel. Lose 5 and then gain 5 back. I workout 5 - 6 days a week most weeks so I feel physically fit, but I know the extra 20lbs needs to be removed. That's why I'm here. Tracking everything! Weighing and measuring my foods and trying to get an accurate feel for how many calories and what types of nutrients I am putting in my body. It has to be a misconception on MY part that I'm not eating as much as I think I am. I know it's tougher in our 40's to lose the weight than it was in our 20's, but I refuse to believe we're stuck.

We can do this!! Track track track!! See what's really going in there. :wink:
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Count me in on the "over 40 and trying to lose 20 lbs", started in January, ONE POUND DOWN! 19 to go....~sigh~ :ohwell:
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and lost 28lbs on 1400 cals/day. I didn't find it any harder than losing wt in my 20's/30's. I logged and measured religiously, liquids or solids. Been maintaining a year.

I had some regular breaks for social stuff but don't think I'd have lost with a cheat day a week.

Hope you pinpoint the problem - good luck :o)
  • PurpleStars73
    Options
    It's so strange, I lost 50 pounds when I was 38, it basically fell off me just by counting calories and walking, now that I'm 40, it's so much harder for some reason. I've been counting calories and I'm at gym. I'm not giving up, just need to push a little harder.
    I need to lose about 10-15.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", 46 and had put on 15lbs...same story as you-- always been thin. Then kids.... then life and before i knew it--yikes.

I'm huge into cardio now...but started with weight training (mostly squats cause they were fun and upper body 'cause i was shamelessly whimpy) and HIIT ....did a 6 week program and the fat melted away--my calories were about 1400 per day.

It can be done after 40, you just have to find what works for you :drinker:
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue. I will be 46 on Thursday. I am 5'9" and I workout at least 6 days a week. I am trying to lose at least 20lbs and I am 178.5. I follow MFP logging everything. I have been on this plateau for a while now. I am interested in reading some repsonses.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Your food logs are inconsistent but from what I saw, there was not a lot for breakfast. If you are a true 5'8" (I'm 5'9", that 69 inches) then 170 is a pretty good weight to start with. However, you need to eat to burn. If you are hella walking but not feeding yourself, your body is going to hang onto what it can.

I'm not saying your're not eating but I can't tell anything by your logs.

it also looks like you are trying to lose 29lbs off your 170. That's a lot. Watch what you are eating (or not eating). Watch the alcohol (if that is the case). Watch it if you're juicing too. I hear people in my office talkign about throwing a banana, an apple, strawberries and other stuff into a juice. That's all sugar, man! Lots of sugar.

be more consistent in your food logs and you may get the answer there.
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I know you're a runner, but maybe try and incorporate some light weight or resistance training. That might help you lose those sought after pounds. I lost 38 pounds two years ago (i was 43) and even though it took a while to lose it, it WAS possible to lose it, even being in my 40's. Just don't give up hope, and again try adding some light weight training to the mix. Good luck to you!
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Ill be 42 in a week. Lost all the weight and then some. I found that when I added protein my weight started falling off. You NEED more protein especially since lets face it we are older. We want to have lean physiques and cant do that if our natural body is trying to eat our muscle. Up your protein, log all food, make sure that your exercise calories are really what you burned before you eat any back.

BTW: I have and still do cheat weekends! I like to be able to sit on the couch on movie night with my hubby and eat ice cream and such. Its part of living.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Your macros seem out of whack. Too many carbs and no where near enough protein. Try a 40/30/30 ratio. 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat. I do this and then every once in a while (1 week out of 6) drop the carbs to 25% and up the fat to 35%. Worth a shot.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Your macros seem out of whack. Too many carbs and no where near enough protein. Try a 40/30/30 ratio. 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat. I do this and then every once in a while (1 week out of 6) drop the carbs to 25% and up the fat to 35%. Worth a shot.

Thanks for this even though I am not the OP! LOL! My husband has been telling me to decrease my carbs. I've been eating a lot of fruit, wheat bread for sandwhiches, wine, etc...

I am going to give this a try.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    53 here. You can lose weight at any age...it's just a bit more work.

Unless I'm missing something, you don't seem to be logging your calorie intake, other than the last couple of days.

Unless you're a hard-core athlete, it's real, real easy to eat far more than you're burning from exercise.

5' 8" and you've got a goal of 1200 cals per day? Too low. Your BMR is probably far above that.

Take the food logging seriously. Keeping honest track of your food intake is one of the biggest success enablers for weight loss.

And bump up your calorie intake goal to something reasonable.
  • ldicianno
    Options
    Im glad I'm not alone! It SUCKS!! I bought a scale before and weighed everything. I know what Im doing Doesn't f'ing work! but I'm hoping this time if I have the right people helping me I'll be able to do it!!
  • ldicianno
    Options
    I've just returned to MFP because I gave up! I'm back on it so we'll see.
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Im glad I'm not alone! It SUCKS!! I bought a scale before and weighed everything. I know what Im doing Doesn't f'ing work! but I'm hoping this time if I have the right people helping me I'll be able to do it!!

^ This. :frown:
  • conversegirl68
    conversegirl68 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am with you there! I lost 89 lbs in 1.5 years at 38, I am now 45 and they have all come back.
  • sapicsr
    sapicsr Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    49 5'7" 182lbs, over the past 5 years I managed to put on 25lbs. I have been on this site for a couple years now but have not been consistent. I have always worked out on a regular basis however I enjoy my wine and Jamison which has been my biggest downfall in losing weight. I have just started using the message board and making some MFP friends with the hope that peer pressure will help me stick with the program and reduce the alcohol intake. Feel free to friend me..