staying motivated

Options
im just curious if anyone has a top tip for styaing motivated or commited?

i think ive now lost the same 10kg about 6 times

once i drop the first bit of weight i lose interest and just go backwards badly, then when my clothes get tight again im back to square 1.

if you could give 1 tip or secret for motivation to stay the course, what would it be?

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    When you want something badly enough, you will work hard to get it.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    When you want something badly enough, you will work hard to get it.

^ That.

I will add that it becomes easier if you find friends and/or groups to workout with who have similar goals.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Stop eating so much, or what is the point of the effort at all?

Or continuously do an exercise burning significant calories.
  • carlywifeybrown
    carlywifeybrown Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been on MFP since January 2013 and have lost 30lbs. I have gone up and down on the charts over this last 15 months and it is hard to keep the motivation and determination so I know where you're coming from.

I've got an overall large event that I'm working towards (my wedding day in August), but that seemed like a far way off and still does. My trick is to get your social calendar going and use birthdays, parties and any other social events as an excuse to lose another few pounds - this works for me - I definitely don't want to be the chubby one in the pictures!

This is the longest and hardest I've ever worked at anything and although it's hard sometimes to drag your self to the gym or make sensible choices rather than taking the lazy/easy option, but I always remember that I've come so far and what's the point of undoing all that hard work? Yes, I have days and sometimes weeks "off" when I'm not logging or exercising as much but I make sure I get right back into it!

Good luck
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    My favorite post about motivation:

http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/fitness-motivation/
  • kanstulpants
    kanstulpants Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've done the same thing for the past 10 years or so. Lose a few pounds, and then lose motivation after a week or two and get off track and gain it back.

I've had to change my way of thinking, and I've actually done well for the past six weeks and lost 8 lbs so far.

Some of my thoughts:

If I don't get serious about it now, when will I? Not getting any younger.

I've had to learn to accept slower progress. Even if I only lose .5 pounds a week for a year, I'll still be a year older and in better shape than I am now.

The event I'm focusing on is my annual doctor's appointment. I would love to walk into the office next year and have lost close to 100 pounds.
  • sfarouq
    sfarouq Posts: 10
    Options
    Firstly loosing weight for good is about a lifestyle change, so try and do it slowly and change your lifestyle so you don't go back to square one.

Secondly find out what you enjoy the most, exercise wise and food wise. You can still loose weight/ be healthy by eating foods you enjoy. That can be summarised simply by saying make sure you equip yourself with the knowledge.

Finally just to say "if you want it that bad you will find a way, if not you will find an excuse."
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    thanks for the responses,

it seems setting targets based on timescale short/middle and long term is quite a good approach. helps to keep people on track

then in the mean time make it a lifestyle changee, forever, not just for now.

much appreciated. MFP is an incredible reosurce
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Here for ideas for myself too :)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at all of those dam swimsuit catalogs. That's all the motivation I need.