Wearing a HRM all day?

Options
So, have any of you actually worn your HRM all day long just to see how many calories your body REALLY burns? I live a very sedentary life (as an engineer at a desk and computer gamer at a desk) and was curious as to how much I truly burn.

Or am I being weird?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    A regular HRM isn't designed to track all day, or anything outside of active cardio type workouts, so whatever reading you got wouldn't be accurate. For an all day tracker, you need something like a Bodybugg.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I did it once when I first got my HRM a few years ago. I don't recommend it. The chest strap gets uncomfortable. If you want to track calories burned throughout the day I suggest a FitBit or BodyMedia or something along those lines. I also have a desk job and the comparison of what my FitBit Flex says I've burned by the end of my workday was only a few calories off from my HRM (and the wristband is MUCH more comfortable) and both the HRM and the FitBit are pretty on-par with the IIFYM BMR calculations and what my BMR was calculated as at a doctor's office. The FitBit also motivated me to get up more often and be more active since it sets up some basic goals for you.

Edited to add: You will likely have to replace the batteries sooner and remember to keep the chest strap wet (if you're wearing one).
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've thought about it, but the discomfort of the band has stopped me. I did have a Bodymedia machine for a while, but I wasn't overly impressed with it - the results were inconsistent (I take over 300 steps in my sleep and it missed 1/2 hour of a workout).

I don't know what the real answer is for trying to find what you really burn during a day if you're sedendary. If you find an answer, tho, keep us posted!
  • lojobrad
    lojobrad Posts: 3
    Options
    I have seriously thought of buying a Fit to wear all day to find out how much I actually do burn in an average day. Any comments or reviews on which model is best and your experience?
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that most HRMs are not designed for that. They don't really give you an accurate measure of calories burned when you're not working out. However, there are several online calculators out there to find your TDEE (and most are quite accurate).
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I've worn a BodyMedia arm band for days on end. But that's what it's designed for.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just wear it for an hour during your sedentary time and then multiply that number by 24? I do recommend the FitBit though. I LOVE MINE!
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you can take the discomfort of the chest strap, a Heart Rate Monitor is probably a little more accurate than a simple fitbit or bodymedia band; but I don't think that the differences will be significant enough to want to wear the Heart Rate Monitor all day long.

I personally have a Polar Loop wrist band which is basically the same thing as a fitbit or bodymedia band. It tracks steps taken and calories the same way. Then when I work out; I strap on my Polar Heart Rate Monitor and pair it to my Polar Loop. All of the workout data is paired to the wrist band and to the Polar web site. Unfortunately there is no auto synch between Polar and MFP, but its not that difficult to make a cardio work out entry at the end of the day. I only log my workout session and not the rest of the daily tracked data.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    A regular HRM isn't designed to track all day, or anything outside of active cardio type workouts, so whatever reading you got wouldn't be accurate. For an all day tracker, you need something like a Bodybugg.

This. I did try it when I first got an HRM a few years back but disregarded when I learned it wasn't accurate. Your other option is to use a BMR/TDEE calcualtor online to get an estimate of how many calories you need based on your personal stats and average activity level. See link below

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Well, sounds like a HRM isn't the right piece of technology to do what I'm looking for. I'll look into the suggestions in this thread. Thanks.
  • grumpyldo
    grumpyldo Posts: 21
    Options
    I bought the FitBit Force about 2 months ago and like it. It is very accurate for steps and the calories burned match up pretty close. Makes me walk a little more than I did before, especially when I golf on the weekend, less cart more walking.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    i wear mine all day but I only track when I walk during breaks and lunch. then keep it on for my run in the evening. than I take it off wash it and use my other one the next day while the first one is drying.