New and clueless

Options
Hi folks. I'm new to mfp. I've done ww south beach flexitarian vegitarian low carb high carb no carb you name it. 2 years ago I lost a bunch of weight before my wedding without even trying really. Probably nervous energy. Then I went on my honeymoon and ate half of Ireland and gained a bit back. I'm slowly getting back into this and I really like mfp so far. It's recommendation for me is 1600 which seems high to me but I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV so I can only do what it says In hopes it will work. So if anyone has any words of wisdom for this soon to be forty girl with 50 pounds to lose I welcome them and look forward to your ideas and support.

Replies

• horrorpod
    Options
    the main thing i can suggest is exercise! i've never been very good with diets myself because i love my carbs and i'm trying not to worry too much if i go over limits on calorie-counting as long as what i'm eating is healthy and i'm getting myself moving.
    i'd also suggest sticking with the recommended 1600 for now and if it isn't working as you'd like then to drop it a bit lower? i'd also suggest taking photos of your body at regular (ish) intervals if you're going to be exercising because while you might hit a 'plateau' at points it might just be coming on as muscle instead and being able to see that progress can really help.
    i've not been on here long but the support from other people can do wonders as well! get yourself a few good buddies on here to spur you on and keep that fire burning within yourself!
  • threedogswc
    threedogswc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely. I've started going to spin so I'm sure that will help. I do better in classes. I guess it's more motivating. I'll keep doing the 1600 and see how it goes. Thanks a heap for the tips!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    The first thing you have to do is put out of your mind is that this is another diet that will end when you lose the weight. To do this right, you have to make small, sustainable changes to your habits. Habits that you will carry with you the rest of your life. Learn as much as you can so that you can make knowledgeable choices. Some of the posters post complete rubbish, others very good advice and most are in-between so do some research outside of MFP. Yes, start friending people. Support, advice, and just sharing a similar struggle will help you immensely.

This is going to take several months, so use that time to your advantage to relearn everything! Then you will have a long period of learning how to maintain your new, healthy weight.
  • irisheyes226
    irisheyes226 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to be eating 1700 calories, which I find to be high too, but I've found that if I eat clean (no processed foods, refined sugars, etc) and eat every 2-3 hours, I'm losing weight. So I'm going with it to see how it works! Would love to be friends for support!
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You will reach your goals. Just remember that moderation is the key to a long lasting weight loss instead of deprivation. Good luck! :)
  • threedogswc
    threedogswc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I avoid all that stuff not much of a sweet eater. I'm more of a salt girl.
    I guess I'm just impatient. But I'm really trying to get down by 20 by the end of July for
    My shore week. I'm worried that eating that many is not going to help.
    And I don't understand that if I burn calories why would I want to eat them back?? I just burned them.
  • vibhorka
    vibhorka Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Just to give you an idea of why some may recommend that you eat the calories you burn.

Usually, if you believe that a calorie deficit is what is helping you lose weight, then basically you have to find a happy medium where you are eating enough so that you have energy and losing weight gradually. And it is helping you develop a healthier lifestyle without the extreme of the usual fad diets etc.

If you don't eat too much (I struggle with that) or you workout and burn calories you may lose faster, but as you know that does not last long when you tend to go back to normal habits as any normal person would.

So if you do eat back some or all of the calories you burn, this helps with moderation and develop lifestyle changes and habits that are sustainable and realistic to keep up with. Also, making our bodies hunger for food, or just plain starvation will eventually back fire in one of many ways.

Hope that makes sense, and I am sure someone else has an even better explanation.

Good luck!