how long till I see results? will I lose much weight?

Options
I have been working out for a little over a week straight and am loving it! Every session I burn just shy of 800 calories. I only eat 1000 calories a day already. I weigh 195? So how long would you estimate I see changes? And how long do you think it'd take to lose 20 pounds?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Eating 1000 calories per day and then exercising off 800 is in no way healthy. You're going to end up being very ill doing this.
  • nicoleharvs
    Options
    My dietition got me on a 1000-1200 calorie diet, I'm not sick yet lol but I was only working out half as much as I do now. So I will up my intake a little then.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have been working out for a little over a week straight and am loving it! Every session I burn just shy of 800 calories. I only eat 1000 calories a day already. I weigh 195? So how long would you estimate I see changes? And how long do you think it'd take to lose 20 pounds?
    Are you eating 1000 and burning the 800, and not eating back any of those exercise cals? :noway:

This is not the way to use My Fitness Pal.

First of all, you should be eating more than 1000 calories no matter what. The bare minimum recommendation for women is 1200, and even that it too low for most of us. Goal means GOAL - something you are aiming for, trying to achieve - not a mark to fall well short of.

Second, the daily goal you're given here at MFO P already has you at a deficit - meaning you could eat to goal every day, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. Burning off more calories through exercise creates a much larger deficit, too large, and can cause you all sorts of problems in the long run. This is why the cals burned from exercise are added back into your goal - you daily NET cals should be at or very near goal.

Lastly - what sort of exercise are you doing and how are you determining the calorie burn? 800 is a fairly high burn, and MFP's estimates for exercise burns are notoriously high, as are fitness machines. You may be burning less than you think.

The MFP system works great, but only when used correctly. Make sure you have entered your info accurately and your goals realistically (as in if you don't have 75-100lbs to lose, your weekly loss goal should NOT be 2lbs a week). Then eat your calories (all of them!), drink water, do some exercise, take rest days, get good sleep. And have patience. Take some progress photos for comparisons along the way, and track your measurements as well as your weight.

But don't sell yourself short by under eating and/or over training. This combination leads to failure - not mention a risk of major health problems if you try to do it for too long.

Good luck!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Really????
  • qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Troll much?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My dietition got me on a 1000-1200 calorie diet, I'm not sick yet lol but I was only working out half as much as I do now. So I will up my intake a little then.

Sorry, but I don't know of any legitimate doctor that would put a teenager who maybe has 15 - 20 Lbs of cosmetic weight to lose on such a calorie restrictive diet...I'm calling bull****. Either that or your doctor should be sued and run out of town on a rail for being a complete moron.
  • aprilslusher
    aprilslusher Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Please eat! You are only netting 200 calories! That is seriously Dangerous!
  • aimladuke
    aimladuke Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Having a net calorie intake of less than 200 is not a healthy way to lose weight. You really need to eat more than that. You will prob. find that you lose weight faster eating more calories.
  • acarmelo1
    acarmelo1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Stop feeding the troll, his account is disconnected.
  • Shell_1384
    Shell_1384 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be an internet troll on this, but I am 29 yrs old, 5'4", 195 lbs. MFP has set me at a daily calorie intake of 1270 with NO EXCERISICE at all. If I do exercise (I try to get about 30 mins of something in each day), then I eat back ALL or MOST of my burned calories. I've done lots of research and I have learned that women should never take in less than 1200 cal/day (this amount is for basic survival). Please, please, please eat more!!! You might be putting yourself into starvation mode and causing much more damage than you realize.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    To answer your question, you will most likely not see any results at all, so the time frame won't really matter.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Stop feeding the troll, his account is disconnected.
    Already?? That was quick! Another one who doesn't like good advice, so they run. Whatever.

tumblr_mkk6gnO2Ow1rze1vao1_500.gif