Is 8 stone a reasonable weight?

Options
I am an 18 year old girl. I am very active, and enjoy long distance running and working out with weights, its fair to say I'm very muscly. I have a pretty petite frame, and my height is 5 ft 4. I eat very healthily now, and this week I have restricted my intake to 600 calories, which I am doing without too much problems as its all fairly low calorie anyway. I stand at about 9 stone 6 at the moment and am way too bulky and unattractive looking. I'm shooting for 9 stone this month, but I wanted to know what y'all thought about 8 stone: is it doable/sustainable? Would it look attractive or overkill? What are your thoughts? And if its a yes, I'd love some top tips!

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    8 stone (approx 51kilos) would be at the lower end of the weight range for your height or close to.

Whether it would look attractive for your height depends on body composition and body shape.

Oh and please eat more than 600cals per day, it definitely isn't enough.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Oh and please eat more than 600cals per day, it definitely isn't enough.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS..........
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating so little?? I don't understand. I can't see a reason for you to starve yourself.

I haven't been 8 stone since I was about 13 years old and 5'3"ish. I was super skinny looking back then but everybody's body is different.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I am an 18 year old girl. I am very active, and enjoy long distance running and working out with weights, its fair to say I'm very muscly. I have a pretty petite frame, and my height is 5 ft 4. I eat very healthily now, and this week I have restricted my intake to 600 calories, which I am doing without too much problems as its all fairly low calorie anyway. I stand at about 9 stone 6 at the moment and am way too bulky and unattractive looking. I'm shooting for 9 stone this month, but I wanted to know what y'all thought about 8 stone: is it doable/sustainable? Would it look attractive or overkill? What are your thoughts? And if its a yes, I'd love some top tips!
    If you are restricting to 600 calories then worrying about your eventual goal weight is the least of your problems.
    Please eat properly or you will lose your health as well as weight. Your comment "I eat very healthily now" is completely wrong - eating healthily includes eating an appropriate number of calories rather than starving yourself.
    If you feel you can't eat normally then you need to seek professional help.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    600 calories a day is crazy and worryingly obsessive. Sorry to sound so blunt.

In regards to your weight, use a BMI calculator. Many people will tell you that BMI is rubbish because everybody's anatomy is different. It isnt a perfect tool by any means but assuming you are an average build, as long as you are somewhere near the healthy weght range then you should be fine.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    I also have a very petite frame (at 5''5 ) I'm 8 1/2 stone right now and still have some fat left to lose xD so I am aiming for 8 stone, It does depend on your body shape I think, because I am pear shaped so I have thin arms and legs but carry all my fat around my hips and tummy... However I'm eating around 1410 + exercise calories (so like 1400-1600 most days) so there is no need to eat so little, good luck :) x
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    you need to seek professional help. (not a nasty comment, genuine advice)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

my top tip... stop starving yourself, you'll make yourself ill.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I bet you are NOT 'bulky and unattractive looking'.
    Looking at your profile, can see you have had 'issues' before and afraid I'd suggest this sounds like being along similar lines.
    I'm afraid, as above, that "eating clean" does not make up for being on very low calories. You may be getting more of the vitamins your body needs, but it also needs adequate levels of macronutrients too. Especially protein, which is hard to get as a Vegan.
  • orangesmarties
    orangesmarties Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Well all I can really say is that I need to go at weight loss hard to stick at it, otherwise habits creep in and I get too arrogant. I am so desperate to lose the weight, so I say strike while the iron's still hot. I am fed up with the way I look now and can't wait to change, I want to wake up and look in the mirror and not want to curl up and die. I want to like the way I look in clothes. I want to feel happy the way that I am for once. Since I was about 12 I've hated the way I look and wanted to lose weight. That's why.
  • attackhamster
    attackhamster Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Eating 600 calories a day isn't sustainable, though. You can't do that for the rest of your life. If you lose by eating 600 calories a day now, when you go back to eating like a normal person, you'll gain weight.

You need to be eating at least 1200 calories a day. You also need to go talk to your doctor about the problems you are having looking at your body in the mirror--sounds like body dysmorphic disorder.

http://www.something-fishy.org/
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you and anything around the 8 stone mark always made me look ill, but I agree with the others and that the issue seems to be more with your body image. You need to make sure you eat regular healthy meals to keep your body in good working order. You're young and should be enjoying living your life not worrying about being a low number on the scale
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Why exactly do you despise your body so much? Are you an athlete? Do you love your sport? You cannot be "muscly" at your light weight. Your approach is going to lead to being unable to enjoy your sport and seriously poor mental and physical health.
  • imju5tme
    imju5tme Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Well all I can really say is that I need to go at weight loss hard to stick at it, otherwise habits creep in and I get too arrogant. I am so desperate to lose the weight, so I say strike while the iron's still hot. I am fed up with the way I look now and can't wait to change, I want to wake up and look in the mirror and not want to curl up and die. I want to like the way I look in clothes. I want to feel happy the way that I am for once. Since I was about 12 I've hated the way I look and wanted to lose weight. That's why.

So... *ponders a moment* since puberty?:frown:
  • Enkeli88
    Enkeli88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the others that have responded: 600 calories is definitely not enough. I'm shorter than you (5ft2) and eat at least 1200 on days that I don't exercise, and, like you, I don't have a lot of weight to lose. Please consider seriously increasing your food intake; you will still lose weight whilst eating a minimum of 1200 calories. Like other posters, I am also a little concerned about your incredibly negative body image: maybe you could talk through that with someone you know?

With regards to your goal weight, is 8st within a healthy range for your height? Maybe 8st7 would be a better initial goal for you, then you could reassess.
  • Tagwild12345
    Tagwild12345 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Are you eating more than 600 but after exercise it nets at that? I'm your height and my weight went up to 9,8 after a back injury. I'm 8,11 at the moment and still wanting to lose more but I'm not going as low as 8 stone. May be 8,4 upwards
  • orangesmarties
    orangesmarties Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Puberty hit late - before puberty.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    BMI of 19.2 at 8 stone, low but not ridiculous - inside the "healthy" zone of BMI.