Has anyone tried a sword workout?

This program seems to getting popular with some of my friends...has anyone tried it long enough to talk about results?

It's not forza, its a different sword workout called Steel MBS.

Replies

• DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    I do Kendo along side my karate training, and let me tell you - sword work is super effective on the shoulders, back and arms and can give you great endurance.

That being said, I would REALLY not recommend doing an at-home weapon training program. If you want to use a sword, you're better off training with someone who can show you how to do it safely, and in a controlled environment. Also, and maybe it's just me, but the YouTube video I found on it looks... awful. The movement is sloppy, and it looks easy to get hurt. But then again, what I know is Kendo, and we move very differently. But the tip of his sword dips, and is he hitting people with the flat?

...I don't get it. It might be a workout, but it's not effective at all as real sword work. Better off training in an accredited sword style.
  • Thank you for your reply! I'm going to do more research on Kendo. Everyone that I have talked to about sword workouts have given me the same feedback in terms of effectiveness: shoulders, back and arms.

And I appreciate you point on the home weapon training program. I would be concerned to do the workout by myself (at least for the first couple times). Which video did you find? My friends that have mentioned it to me have said there is a community that shares their own moves and videos on a forum somewhere. I'll look for it. Maybe someone else that has more experience is offering better instruction...

But Kendo looks much more structured and controlled..lots of equipment/outfitting! Probably a good idea for working out with swords haha
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    There are lots of rubber training swords out there designed specifically for people who do combat demonstration stuff at ren faires and the like. I looked into them when I was thinking of doing something of this sort myself. I was watching the gladiators train in Spartacus and thinking "man does that look like a killer workout."

Anyhow I think the brand I see on Amazon is Cold Steel? Worth looking into.
  • Thanks! Could you send me the Amazon link? I tried looking and found Katana as well as this Swordsmanship DVD, which seems like a good one to have if you are serious about using swords (especially real ones):
    http://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Swordmanship-Vol-Masayuki-Shimabukuro/dp/B0017TCSLW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1394232620&sr=8-4&keywords=sword+workout

But I totally agree, there must be a reason all those gladiators are so buff! haha
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    BEAST MODE

LARP1.jpg
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    I used to dance a sword dance..

It was aerobic.

sword.jpg
  • haha! That's awesome!
  • BEAST MODE

LARP1.jpg

GREAT photo! I think you would enjoy this blog!
    http://steelmbs.com/blog/