Running Blisters

Options
Hello! So I've only been running for about a week now. That's like 3 runs. I have New Balances that were fit for my feet, but I have a blister on the bottom of my foot. So my questions are:

How do I take care of the blister so I can still run?
I have read about thicker socks, is this true? Which ones do you prefer?
Am I running wrong? I think I tend to go up on my toes too much.

Thanks in advance ;)

Replies

• chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was getting blisters on the bottoms of my toes, which seem to have been caused by the socks I was wearing. I started wearing thinner cotton socks for my runs, which are a lot better, but I'll eventually be looking into non-cotton socks.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    No cotton and are you sure your shoes fit ok?
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Choose a sock that is non-cotton.
    Depending on how big the current blister is will depend on how you treat it. If it is really big you will need to drain it. If it is small you can get away with some moleskin or a bandaid made for blisters to help protect it.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of wool socks for well everything i need to wear socks for.

My favorite brands are Wigwam, Keen, Smartwool.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Generally the only reason you'll get blisters is that your shoes don't fit properly (it's moving too much in the shoe which creates friction which leads to blisters)

There are 2 layer running socks that help deal with very minor fit problems (I use ones made by Wright - they're not very expensive) .

If the blister is not too painful you may just want to give it a couple of days to heal on its own. If you do decide to drain it make sure you keep the affected are clean (an antiseptic like Dettol stings like crazy but does the job....), covered and dry (which means being barefoot as much as is practical)

If you do get the double layer socks and the problem persists is the shoes.......running shoes should be snug to prevent your foot from moving around.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    This shouldn't be happening.

Are your shoes laced correctly?-ask at the store

Try Thurlo socks
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I only run in Balega socks. They are awesome. If you are wearing cotton socks, that is probably the problem. You could also try some body glide...I rub it around my achilles tendon as I tend to get rubs there.
  • fitbrit19
    fitbrit19 Posts: 55
    Options

I am sensing a theme here and that is no cotton! And I am pretty sure they fit properly. I am comfortable in them. The blister is below my toes on the inside of my foot. I think it is a combination of bad socks & running on my toes or I guess you'd call it the ball of my foot?
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the socks but they best thing you can do for the blister is to leave it alone. DO NOT POP IT. I get blisters from rowing and the best comfort I've found to continuing with a blister is to cover it during activity and let it breathe when I'm resting.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Generally the only reason you'll get blisters is that your shoes don't fit properly (it's moving too much in the shoe which creates friction which leads to blisters)

There are 2 layer running socks that help deal with very minor fit problems (I use ones made by Wright - they're not very expensive) .

If the blister is not too painful you may just want to give it a couple of days to heal on its own. If you do decide to drain it make sure you keep the affected are clean (an antiseptic like Dettol stings like crazy but does the job....), covered and dry (which means being barefoot as much as is practical)

If you do get the double layer socks and the problem persists is the shoes.......running shoes should be snug to prevent your foot from moving around.

I like Wright's too. You could also use a blister stick (Band-Aid and Avon Foot Works both have great ones). This is a model trick because the shoes they give you to wear on runway NEVER fit you properly. The trick is to rub the stick (looks like a mini deodorant stick) on any spots BEFORE you put your socks on and start your run. You can also put it on new ones, as soon as you feel a hot spot, before you get the blister.
  • greytniki
    greytniki Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I have horrible foot and gait issues because I shattered my right foot in a MC accident, but due to that I was constantly having blister problems. Someone suggested 5 toe socks by Injinii. I buy them at Dunhams sports although they can be found in various online sites also. I've been wearing them for 2 months now every time I run and I have not had a blister since.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I am sensing a theme here and that is no cotton! And I am pretty sure they fit properly. I am comfortable in them.

There is a possibility that its lacing rather than the shoes themselves. You might want to increase the tension around the ball slightly to reduce movement.

As far as treatment is concerned, as upthread it depends on size. If small just tape over them and leave them be. If bigger then puncture with a needle in the evening and draw some cotton through. That let's the liquid seep without exposing tyhevwound. In the morning remove the cotton and tape over it. If its very big then cut it off then dettol or iodine to seal it.

Any of them worked for healing enough to yomp in combat boots so fine for running on.