Tired of this

Options
5'10" male. My diet for the last three weeks my diet has been:
Breakfast - 1 package of oatmeal and an orange.
Lunch - small steak, two steamed vegatable portions, 2 cup each.
Dinner - 2 cup chefs salad. Lettuce, cheddar cheese, ham, onion, low cal salad dressing.
Snack - 5 chicken nuggets.
Walk 2 miles a night at 3.8 mph. (16 minute miles weather does not matter, the walks are done)
Twice a week an hour on a stationary bike along with strength training with low weight and high reps. 3 sets of 15 at 20 pounds.

Weekends add more exercise (mountain and/or road biking for an hour plus with little more food intake, eating a meal instead of the Chef salad)

I have managed to go from 252 to 261. I should look like a freaking stick figure but instead I am getting fatter. All blood work came back normal at last check up 3 months ago.

Answers before I start fasting for a week? This is ridiculous.

I don't need ads for personal trainers, etc. I need some solid ideas on why I am not losing weight.

Replies

• LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a miserable amount of food, and I'm a 5'2" female.

The first suggestion on this sort of question is that you may be eating more than you think. The suggested solution is to use a food scale (as opposed to measuring cups, which many people use/start off with) to get a more accurate idea of intake.

A second common suggestion is that if you recently increased your activity level significantly, your muscles may be holding onto water.

I presume that you're exaggerating when you say that you think you should look like a stick figure after three weeks of the aforementioned diet, but if you aren't, that's an unrealistic expectation. Visible differences can easily take longer than three weeks.

Don't start fasting for a week. I don't think you're serious about that either, but it can do wonky things to your metabolism and make it harder to lose weight. Plus you'll be miserable.

You can eat a wider variety of food, and probably more food (I don't know the exact calorie counts of what you're eating, but my guess is that it's less than 1500 calories). I know it's very easy to get into a rut of eating the same food--you can look at my diary for the past week; I could probably recite the entries and calorie counts without even looking for some days--but it feels better to change things up.
  • ovi212
    ovi212 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    First of all what is your calorie allotment and how much are you netting?

I would recommend switching the oatmeal for egg whites and a low cal/fat yogurt for the orange. Then swap the steak for chicken, turkey or salmon, it'll likely be lower cals. I'd get rid of the chicken nuggets. You could likely have a sandwich or popcorn, yogurt and fruit etc for lower cals and it would be more balanced. Also, what vegetables are you having? 4 cups could be a lot depending on the type. Basically I'd recommend eating more balanced. Lower cal foods throughout the day so you get more at each meal. You can get a lot of lower calorie dairy, protein, vegetables and grain in. Oatmeal is great, I love it, but be careful you aren't using one with a lot of extra sugar.

As far as exercise go, maybe try a more intense workout a couple days a week and then the bike/weights on the other days?
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    5'10" male. My diet for the last three weeks my diet has been:
    Breakfast - 1 package of oatmeal and an orange.
    Lunch - small steak, two steamed vegatable portions, 2 cup each.
    Dinner - 2 cup chefs salad. Lettuce, cheddar cheese, ham, onion, low cal salad dressing.
    Snack - 5 chicken nuggets.
    Walk 2 miles a night at 3.8 mph. (16 minute miles weather does not matter, the walks are done)
    Twice a week an hour on a stationary bike along with strength training with low weight and high reps. 3 sets of 15 at 20 pounds.

Weekends add more exercise (mountain and/or road biking for an hour plus with little more food intake, eating a meal instead of the Chef salad)

I have managed to go from 252 to 261. I should look like a freaking stick figure but instead I am getting fatter. All blood work came back normal at last check up 3 months ago.

Answers before I start fasting for a week? This is ridiculous.

I don't need ads for personal trainers, etc. I need some solid ideas on why I am not losing weight.

Open your diary to obtain an honest opinion.
  • JohnnyRedd
    Options
    I have been riding more and more and faster and faster since 2011. I can knock out 25 miles at 16 mph and am fine at the end of the ride. I am not holding water, especially 12 pounds of it. With my level of activity I should SERIOUSLY be in the low 200s, not going above 260.

Those are the calories left at the end of the day. Easy to identify the days that I rode in some manner. It is based on a 1500 calorie diet and yes, I am meticulous about recording what is eaten. I am not a snack eater.
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Um...i'm not exactly an expert but even I know you're not eating enough. Your BMR is like 2100 according to scooby...your body is holding onto everything cause its afraid you won't give it any more. Just saying....like I said, i'm not an expert nor do I play one on tv.:smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    Numbers don't add up, so there may be a hormonal issue or health issue that you may have. When's the last time your had your blood/hormones tested?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Dude, I'm 5'10" too and ate that before lunch when I was actively losing weight. Open your diary if you want advice.
  • Soapfan777
    Options
    A few things stood out for me:

1. I didn't see where you mentioned your water intake and the amount you drink. Water is one of the key factors in weight loss along with the proper amount and mix of calories and exercise.

2. How many calories are you eating with the chef salads? Some salads are worst than a 3 course meal. Low-fat sometimes means more carbs. The next time you are in the supermarket, take some time and compare some of the low-fat foods with the regular ones and you'll see my point.

3. Are you on any medication that could be preventing you from losing weight?

4. Since you recorded your activities, I suggest you print down the last 4 weeks and review with your doctor and also request an appointment with a nutritionist.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Your not eating enough calories, Im 5'3 123lbs and that doesnt even seem like enough for me your body is probably holding on to every ounce of fat bc of it.