Confused??

Options
SO today was my weight day. And my scale weighed me at 151. I worked out a little bit ago and weighed myself at the gym and that scale said 162!! So I thought ok my scale is way off I guess. SO I weighted myself when I got home and my scale says 160!!!? How is this possible when I weighed myself this morning and it was 151??

Replies

• gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    That happns to me a lot. i weigh myself in the morning and then sometimes after my workout in PM and i'm like 2 lbs heavier :sad: I am just hopping it's all the water that i drink during my workout.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Were you naked when you weighed this morning? Did you do it on an empty stomach?

If you weigh at the gym with clothes/shoes on and after you've eaten/drank water/coffee, you're going to weigh more.
  • pammiejean40
    pammiejean40 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Were you naked when you weighed this morning? Did you do it on an empty stomach?

If you weigh at the gym with clothes/shoes on and after you've eaten/drank water/coffee, you're going to weigh more.
    Yes on my weight in days I weigh myself naked and before I eat or drink anything. But is it normal to have a alb difference. I did drink a lot of water.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Yes on my weight in days I weigh myself naked and before I eat or drink anything. But is it normal to have a alb difference. I did drink a lot of water.

Clothes add 1-5lbs depending on how heavy the shoes are.

Food and water can add 1-5lbs

It is normal.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You're going to weigh more throughout the day as you eat, drink, add clothing, etc. Totally normal. And yes, different scales may show a different weight, and you may weight more or less after a workout. So many variables, and not worth freaking out over. :smile:

Best to weigh on the same scale at the same time of day under the same conditions as much as possible. And if daily fluctuations bother you (and they will fluctuate up or down every single day), then don't weigh every day - once a week or every two weeks is good.

And grab a tape measure and a camera - track your measurements and take photos along the way for comparison purposes. You often see true progress on the tape and in pics while the scale is busy messing with your head.
  • KatissimusDorsi
    Options
    Am I getting it right that you weighed yourself this morning, then weighed yourself after you worked out on the same day?

If so, you're getting added weight from:

1) Your clothes and shoes
    2) Any food you ate or water you drank
    3) Typically post-workout (strength-training anyway) you can weigh a bit more
    4) Normal fluctuations in water retention.
    5) How long ago you went to the bathroom
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    uhm, your weight naturally fluctuates throughout the day be it from eating/drinking/fluid levels/etc.

stop weighing yourself so dang much and only weigh at the same time of day during the same conditions. i only weigh myself in the mornings, right after i wake, after i pee, buck ars naked. this is your truest weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    'cuz you're weighing your clothes, any food or beverage you've consumed, accumulated waste in your system, etc. Not to mention just normal fluctuations. Also, you retain water after a workout, so there's that.

I'd maybe suggest not stepping on the scale a gazillion times per day.
  • grumpyldo
    grumpyldo Posts: 21
    Options
    Weighing yourself on different scales and different times of day is not a good thing for you. Variations in your habits and equipment can make a difference and can cause some negative thoughts in our own minds. I weigh myself once a week Tuesday morning so I can make sure whatever I did during the weekend is gone.
  • pammiejean40
    pammiejean40 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I normally don't weigh myself like that. But I was in the locker room and it was sitting there so I was like what the heck… I knew I shouldn't of but I did…. lesson learned!
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    if you weighed yourself in the morning there really is no need to weight yourself again later in the day. STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALE !!! This way lies madness !
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It could certainly be the clothes and the water. Water is pretty heavy stuff. Or it could be all those weighty matters on your mind - heavy thoughts. :-) It does help to pick one scale to go with for your "official" weight. All the other scales are just differing opinions.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options

Just the other day, I weighed myself with minimal clothes like I always do. I was going to the Dr. that day and to see how accurate my scale is, I weighed myself with the clothes on that I would be wearing at the office. They weighed 4 lbs. Also 1 liter of water weighs a slight bit more than 2 lbs.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    SO today was my weight day. And my scale weighed me at 151. I worked out a little bit ago and weighed myself at the gym and that scale said 162!! So I thought ok my scale is way off I guess. SO I weighted myself when I got home and my scale says 160!!!? How is this possible when I weighed myself this morning and it was 151??
    It's called natural weight fluctuation from the activities of daily living. Don't be attached to any numbers. Just pick a weigh day, time, place, and scale and forget any other numbers in between.
  • Soapfan777
    Options
    There are a lot of factors that make your weight fluxuates during the day and from day to day. Weighing in once a day or twice in one day is very unfair to your body. Your body needs time to adjust to the food, water, and exercise. Please don't allow your nerves to get worked up over it. I agree with the posters that stated that you should weigh yourself once a week and on the same day and at the same time. This will be the true source of truth.