Surprise! Foods

Options
I'm a little ashamed to admit this, but I have only recently tried Greek Yogurt. Over the years, I've tried a multitude of yogurt and yogurt-wannabes, but I never found anything I wanted more than one bite of. I knew it was good for me, so I never gave up trying. Then I tried Greek yogurt (Fage, to be exact), and I have fallen in love!

Do you have a food like surprised you? What's your favorite food discovery?

Replies

• lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hummus. It looks disgusting...and the first time I tried it I hated it. Then I tried it again a few years later and viola! love.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The average persons taste buds change about every 10 years or so, in general people should re-try things they didnt like in the past.
    When I was about 20 I out of the blue started liking eggs, mushrooms, and sushi. Best change my taste buds could have ever done for me!
  • canadafats
    Options
    Parsnips! Hated them as a kid. Love them now. Sweet and nutty and amazing mashed with some butter and fresh ginger.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily a specific food, but roasting veggies has rocked my world.
  • laurelthistle
    laurelthistle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Black olives. I used to have them, now I *love* them, but eat them in moderation.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Fish. Couldn't stand it as a kid - probably because I never developed a taste for it since we never had it at home, so anytime I was faced with it I found it repulsive.

Now - can't get enough of it! I was vegetarian for about 10 years and then started adding fish to my diet for more protein... definitely a full-on pescatarian now. :happy:
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    Asparagus. As a kid, I could not for the life of me imagine willingly eating the slimy mush served at Christmas. Blergh! Year later I had it lightly blanched/steamed with a tiny bit of butter, S&P, a hint of nutmeg and a couple of drops of fresh lemon juice. Having it for dinner tonight and cannot wait.

Brussels Sprouts. No one in my world even thought to serve these when I was growing up. On a whim, I tried some from the hot food thingy at Wegmans. WOW! Roasted with a little balsamic vinegar and some parmesan. A couple of crumbles of bacon if I fell like going crazy. Glory day!

That is all.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Radishes. I don't LOVE them but I think they add something nice to salads, and I expected them to be gross (never tried 'til about 2 years ago when I met my now-husband)
  • phrendlynut
    phrendlynut Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Brussels Sprouts. I love love LOVE brussels sprouts now. I was scared to try them for so long but then one day I just decided to give them a whirl. I'm so thankful.
  • catsandtats
    catsandtats Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Brussels Sprouts. No one in my world even thought to serve these when I was growing up. On a whim, I tried some from the hot food thingy at Wegmans. WOW! Roasted with a little balsamic vinegar and some parmesan. A couple of crumbles of bacon if I fell like going crazy. Glory day!

That is all.

This! I had no idea Brussels Sprouts could be so tasty until I had them oven roasted at a restaurant. After that experience, I made a lightened up version at home. Now, oven-roasted Brussels Sprouts are a regular in my recipe rotation. If you're steaming Brussels Sprouts to death, you're doing it wrong! ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Brussel Sprouts too. Roasting definitely makes a difference.

I still hate the stuff I hated as a kid though - celery, artichokes. Yuck.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Beets.

Not all ways, but, I was surprisingly pleased by the texture in an arugula and beet salad I had recently.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    There are so many foods my parents didn't serve b/c they didn't like them. The list is long. But the ones I have fallen in love with are brussels sprouts (tossed with sauteed bacon and onion, then roasted in the oven), sweet potatoes (baked, then mashed with coconut oil and cinnamon, or chopped and sauteed in coconut oil), roasted cauliflower and broccoli (they were only served raw growing up), zucchini and summer squash steamed in a pan on the grill with butter, onion and Mrs. Dash Original, and zucchini or spaghetti squash in place of pasta. I also tried "potato cakes" made with parsnips and found them to be delicious! In fact, maybe I'll make the parsnips tonight. :)

OH YES! Beets! I hated pickled beets and a kid. Now I love to eat them sauteed in coconut oil or pickled. Yum!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Eggs and refried beans. I hated them both my whole life; in the past year I've found several ways to cook eggs that I love and I've had refried beans a few times and found them tasty. Progress!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Homemade almond butter & apples.

My new addiction. :smile:
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    Mackerel, it always looked weird to me but I tried it and I'm in love.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    Black olives. I used to have them, now I *love* them, but eat them in moderation.

oooh yes!! Black olives definitely grow on you <3
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    Vegetable juices- anything but tomato. And brussel sprouts (if they're prepared right). And even cheese in tiny quantities!

I've also discovered I like frosting and cheesecake, but I suppose that's a bit of a step backward...
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    - Shrimp and fish! Which is good news since they're both so healthy and low cal and versatile.
    - Goat cheese (especially in a sweet flavour like blueberry or cranberry and cinnamon). Such a treat on a 7 grain kashi cracker.
    - Cauliflower :) I still dislike it raw but enjoy it roasted with curry spices with almost every meal.

But mostly I've always like everything. My parents have diverse tastes and never allowed me to turn up my nose at anything.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Black pudding - I love it now but wouldn't touch it with a barge pole years ago.