How do you stay motivated?

Options
Saphira291
Saphira291 Posts: 54 Member
I have to admit one of the things that has deterred me from trying to start this sooner is knowing how long it will take to reach the weight I want to be. How do you keep yourself motivated and on track knowing that you have a long way to go? I'm definitely going to need all the help I can get because I know myself and how easy I fall back into bad habits. It's like I want the weight to come off fast but I know that's not healthy and that I need to take it slow and steady if I want to do it the right way and get lasting results. So difficult for me.

Replies

• Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Here's my advice:

Don't focus on the big scary number. Focus on smaller goals (both the next weight you want to attain and things like logging every day and staying within your calorie goal). When you reach those goals, reward yourself and then set others.

Don't make changes that are unattainable and/or unsustainable. I know plenty of people swear by clean eating or paleo or any number of eating strategies. Good for them, but those are not for me. I had to be honest with myself and admit that I just don't want to cook anymore. Been there, done that for 30 years. So unless DH throws something on the grill, we eat a prepared meal from Trader Joe's and a big salad or a steamed veggie. It's less about what you eat than how much you eat.

Don't take on more than you can handle. I spent the first 6 months focusing on my eating and doing little to no exercise. And I lost a LOT of weight. It's not necessary to do it all all at once.

Be kind to yourself. When you mess up (and you will) own it and move on.

Seek out people who are supportive. They're here on MFP and out there in the world. I've always had great support and even some unexpected support right when I needed it.

Lastly, and most importantly, DO NOT QUIT. The people who are successful are not perfect or super human or have willpower made of iron. They just don't quit. Not ever. Emulate these people and you will succeed.

You can do this!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    The more you do, the better you feel. Eventually, feeling good to great to awesome is motivation in and of itself.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Great advice from Lives2Travel. All of it!! For me, failure is not an option. period.
  • nictheman
    nictheman Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There's nothing more motivating than achieving a goal. IF you have a good long-term goal (say, losing 15kg), nothing is better than having small short-term goals. Say, losing 0.5kg per week. IF you see 0.5kg coming off every week, you will feel amazing every time you check the scales and see your weight lower than before. Even if you have a week with lots of eating and drinking and don't feel like you're reaching your goal, seeing your weekly goal in front of you will continue to motivate you. Eventually you'll get used to the minimum allowed drinks for a load, and then you can apply different loads. :)
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I didn't look to see how far I have to go and just concentrated on what I have to do now. I had to eat clean and exercise. that was a hard enough battle to win in itself. everyday I win a little more before I knew it I had lost 81lbs. now I'm just running out of habit. eating clean is just so it won't make it harder for me to run. after my 5K this Sunday, I'm going to up my distance from 4 miles to 4.2miles. everyday is an adventure, are you willing to do it or going to sit on the couch?
  • Susie_1
    Susie_1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Here's my advice:

Don't focus on the big scary number. Focus on smaller goals (both the next weight you want to attain and things like logging every day and staying within your calorie goal). When you reach those goals, reward yourself and then set others.

Don't make changes that are unattainable and/or unsustainable. I know plenty of people swear by clean eating or paleo or any number of eating strategies. Good for them, but those are not for me. I had to be honest with myself and admit that I just don't want to cook anymore. Been there, done that for 30 years. So unless DH throws something on the grill, we eat a prepared meal from Trader Joe's and a big salad or a steamed veggie. It's less about what you eat than how much you eat.

Don't take on more than you can handle. I spent the first 6 months focusing on my eating and doing little to no exercise. And I lost a LOT of weight. It's not necessary to do it all all at once.

Be kind to yourself. When you mess up (and you will) own it and move on.

Seek out people who are supportive. They're here on MFP and out there in the world. I've always had great support and even some unexpected support right when I needed it.

Lastly, and most importantly, DO NOT QUIT. The people who are successful are not perfect or super human or have willpower made of iron. They just don't quit. Not ever. Emulate these people and you will succeed.

You can do this!

Brilliant philosophy and so very true,
  • salemsaberhagen
    salemsaberhagen Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ignore the scale and focus on how well your clothes are fitting- that's the best motivation of all. Weight loss should be more about body composition rather than a numbers game.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Don't look at the longer term other than sticking with slow but steady loss for long term success.

Every day is a new success, focus on that and see it as the start of new good habits not a diet or something to be endured.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    1. Small goals (e.g. 5 lbs, 10 lbs, the wieght I was after first child, etc)
    2. Easy long-term goal so that, if life happened or I fell off the wagon, it would be relatively easy to get back on and still have a shot at getting there (25 pounds in 10 months; I figured 2.5 lbs a month for 10 months would fit the bill) (it did).
    3. Listen to your body. 1200 calls per day did not work for me so I adapted it and it worked.

Good luck! It's a wonderful trip!
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Time will pass, whether I'm losing weight or not. And if I'm not losing weight in that time, I'll most likely be putting it on! I just think about 6 months from now- do I want to weigh less or do I want to wish I'd started 6 months ago?

I am not always motivated. Most days I am honestly just plodding along and hoping it pays off.

I recommend taking progress pictures. Last week I was really fed up as I hadn't lost any weight so I decided to compare my first picture to a new one. And yeah, MASSIVE difference and made it all worth it.
  • emilyharber1990
    Options
    For me, ive got my goals written down and stuck on my wardrobe door- that way i see them every morning when i wake up and it keeps me focused.
    Also don' t cut things out completely- everything is good in moderation. And don't beat yourself up over a slip up. Just breathe and get back to it. =)
    You will be surprised at how quickly change can happen and good results will keep you going. Good luck =)
  • ToraChan2310
    Options
    Whenever I feel like backsliding, eating junk food, or skipping workouts, I go into my bathroom and look in the mirror at the fat on my body.

That immeidately gets me back on track.
  • StarFall90
    StarFall90 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, I know I have a few years worth of work ahead of me. I'm ok with that. I have felt the same way you have in the past. And if I had stuck to it then I could be done by now. A year from now I don't want to look back and say "if I didn't give up I could be 100 pounds lighter now."
  • cchew686
    cchew686 Posts: 108
    Options
    I agree with everyone about setting small, obtainable goals. You'll still see progress and be able to stick with the changes as opposed to drastic plans.

From the emotional side, I tend to focus on a couple of things. I have a young kid and I want to not only be around for him, but to be able to do all the things a parent should do with their child. To a lesser extent, my spite drives me. As sad as it may be, thinking about people that have judged me in the past motivates me to be better.
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    small goals and one day at a time!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like backsliding, eating junk food, or skipping workouts, I go into my bathroom and look in the mirror at the fat on my body.

That immeidately gets me back on track.

I have done that when it was raining here in San Diego. I took my shirt off and stood in front of the mirror and got dressed and hit the pavement, very carefully.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Ditto to everyone! Small goals in the beginning!

I wanted to lose 10 lbs...DONE
    Now I'm on to the next 10...
    Then I'm going to add muscle...

And so forth. I'm setting small checklists.

Also...if Chicago ever decides to warm up, I want to rock this hot bod at the beach :)
  • CharleeCali
    CharleeCali Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You are a brave man, Prince Eric, I'm scared to DRIVE when it rains in San Diego.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I never set weight goals at all. I only focused (and still do) on the current day: am I eating nutritious food within my calorie goal? I'm a getting some (any) exercise? Did I get enough sleep? If I could answer yes to those, that was good enough. I've done that times 636.
  • Julez467
    Julez467 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm a newby & need to lose about 25 - 30 kg, I'm really struggling atm with motivation when I look at that figure & know that I need to break it down into 5kg lots but it's still a daunting task.

I lost 10kg about 3 years ago & then hit rock bottom so it all came back on with friends so now I need to start again, I'm still struggling to get my head in the right space but hoping I can do this with small baby steps at a time