How not to gain weight on a vacation? (Girls Only Post)

Options
I have been on a vacation since Friday, and to make a long story short I think that I am gaining a little bit of weight. Starting on Friday through Sunday I ate a lot, 1378-2477-2842. 1378 isn't bad, but it's mainly the 2nd and 3rd days. Anyway, now I am in a hotel and have been walking a ton, plus running every night for 30 minutes. my net calories starting Monday have been around the 900 calorie range (I have been eating around 1500 calories a day, but exercising a ton). I mean, I am actually getting MORE exercise than before the trip and around the same amount of calories, but I'm not eating as many heathy foods. I'm still around my calorie goal, even under for net calories! So, why do I feel like I am gaining weight?
Feel free to look at my diary, it's open. Any help will be appreciated.

It is "that time of month" for me starting the day before yesterday, could that be it? But, why do I feel like I gained weight?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you're eating "junky" food with high sodium levels, it could just be water retention and bloating.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I almost always lose on vacation. It is pretty easy; I eat on plan.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    You need to think in terms of FAT LOSS not SCALE WEIGHT. The scale just shows total weight, not fat loss. Daily & monthly water weight fluctuations are normal. They have nothing to do with fat though, over time, the fluctuations with be at a lower weight.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I just got back from 8 days in San Francisco where I eat Indian, Mexican, Mediterranean, Chinese, French, and Italian cuisine. The hotel had breakfast service. I paid close attention to skipping the pastries and sweet breads, opting for a boiled egg and lots of fruit. I ate my main meal at lunch. I put about 18,000 steps a day on my fitbit. I logged all my food, though they were estimates. I weighed exactly the same when I got home as I did when I left.

I think it's about paying attention and making choices: balance a heavy meal with light ones. Keep moving.

Vacations are part of my "lifestyle." Got to plan for them!
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I have been on a vacation since Friday, and to make a long story short I think that I am gaining a little bit of weight. Starting on Friday through Sunday I ate a lot, 1378-2477-2842. 1378 isn't bad, but it's mainly the 2nd and 3rd days. Anyway, now I am in a hotel and have been walking a ton, plus running every night for 30 minutes. my net calories starting Monday have been around the 900 calorie range (I have been eating around 1500 calories a day, but exercising a ton). I mean, I am actually getting MORE exercise than before the trip and around the same amount of calories, but I'm not eating as many heathy foods. I'm still around my calorie goal, even under for net calories! So, why do I feel like I am gaining weight?

It is "that time of month" for me starting the day before yesterday, could that be it? But, why do I feel like I gained weight?

(A) Eat more.
    (B) Weight fluctuates on a regular basis; don't worry about the short term.
    (C) Yes, your period can affect your weight on the scale.
    (D) I'm male. I do what I want.
  • khkjkk
    khkjkk Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said. And since you "feel" like you're gaining weight, the change in diet and change in altitude might play a part as well. (Though altitude is probably not a big factor unless you're vacationing somewhere with a drastically different elevation).
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

(A) Eat more.

So this.
    and jeez, as if guys aren't going to look at your thread if you say (girls only). what is this, high school ?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    First of all, calm down and enjoy your vacation. You are lucky to have one. Second of all, guys give good advice.

Anyway, back to the original question, I don't really understand the problem? Except for the fact that you are netting way below your calorie goal, ON VACATION no less. That's not good.

You are probably bloated from sodium and your period.
  • CampbellTony
    CampbellTony Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    First of all, calm down and enjoy your vacation. You are lucky to have one. Second of all, guys give good advice.

Anyway, back to the original question, I don't really understand the problem? Except for the fact that you are netting way below your calorie goal, ON VACATION no less. That's not good.

You are probably bloated from sodium and your period.

Just this, all this......
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

(A) Eat more.

So this.
    and jeez, as if guys aren't going to look at your thread if you say (girls only). what is this, high school ?

Word...

probably just a little bloat there OP...and probably some of it is in your head as well. I remember my first vacation when I got all into this...i wasn't exercising at all on vacation but I was doing a lot of walking, etc...but I was eating out all the time and I was anxious the entire trip..wasn't logging either. I got home and had lost 2 Lbs.

That was about 1.5 years ago...i don't sweat it anymore and I realize that a lot of what we put ourselves through is in our heads.
  • moonstoneme96
    moonstoneme96 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ok, on the whole "Girls Only" thing, I just saw another lady do it when she was talking about some stuff, and thought that I should do it to be considerate to others incase they really don't feel like reading about all that junk. Thanks for replying to the post :)