UK Middle Aged Men? (and women)

Options
Gentlemen,

I've been using MFP with some considerable success for 2 months. I've also made some very supportive friends on here - thank you to them. However, I'd really like some bloke company too. Specifically, it'd be good to have some middle aged male mates. Guys who can remember being into serious music, while pretending to like Duran Duran to impress the girls they fancied. Men who rode a Yammy FS1E or Suzuki AP50 to school at 16 because they were so desperate not to ride their push bike any more. Men who grew up admiring true male sporting role models: Will Carling; Saint Billy Beaumont; Andy Ripley; Daley Thompon; Brian Jacks, the judo bloke off Super Stars ... and Fatima Whitbread. Blokes whose first drink in a pub at 14 was a Double Diamond, bought by their mum because she didn't know what it was. Men who only love the outdoors because it reminds us of 1976! Men ... who are probably at work right now (have I mistimed this post?) MEN OF BRITAIN, Do I hear you?

So yeah fellas, if you want to chat about your weight loss and fitness in a completely non-girly and blokey type way, I'm yer man. Friend me on up, as they say. Not too late, or I'll be in bed with a cocoa ...

Cheers,
Chris
Somerset, UK

UK Equality Guidelines

For the reasons of fairness and gender balance, the author of this post is forced to accept that he would also like to add friends of the female gender. He accepts that you too can talk about bikes, cars, swimming, dog walking, DIY (and/or the avoidance thereof) and drinking. And in general he accepts that you all tend to smell much nicer too.

Apology

The author of this post would like to apologise to any potential friends of the female gender who were offended by the Duran Duran gag. Furthermore he would like to state that it is entirely unlikely that this happened to you.

Replies

• BlueAngelChar
    BlueAngelChar Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    can i just say lol DURAN DURAN ROCKED!!! and good luck with the friend quest lol
  • Chrisiswinning
    Chrisiswinning Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My goodness, how quickly these things slip down the order! I must remember to come back and bump it in the evening!
  • samr73
    samr73 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Rugby, Athletics, Judo, Cider??? What about middle-aged birds who fondly remember the proper It's a Knockout and would actually love to have a go now they're not a total heffalump???
  • Chrisiswinning
    Options
    This needs bumping. Come on chaps!
  • Junctionbox
    Junctionbox Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'll drop you a friend request, cos I can remember all that as well as David Hemery doing dips on the bars, Tomorrow's World and riding a Tomahawk bike ;)
  • Chrisiswinning
    Options
    David Hemery - legend. Bow down to the mighty moustache!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Bought my FS1-E in 1976 for the princely sum of £82-50, yes I did haggle down to the last 50p as it was still more money than I had actually managed to scrape together.
    41mph flat out with flares flapping in the breeze - happy days.

Barry Sheene was my hero but still remember Brian Jacks when I'm doing tricep dips.
  • Chrisiswinning
    Options
    I met Barry Sheene at the Goodwood Revival. Top bloke, spent ages with me then said, "Oh sorry mate, I've got a race." He then climbed on his Manx Norton and promptly rode through the field from the back to win after 15 laps.

RIP
  • Chrisiswinning
    Options
    And yes, Brian Jacks was awesome. Used to bite the top off oranges instead of peeling them ...
  • Chrisiswinning
    Options
    Rugby, Athletics, Judo, Cider??? What about middle-aged birds who fondly remember the proper It's a Knockout and would actually love to have a go now they're not a total heffalump???

No, definitely not a heffalump any more, Sam. You're already in the club. You find the big giant suits and we'll organise the Jeux Sans Frontieres again.

(Stuart Hall won't be there this time, obviously)
  • gosustu
    gosustu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My first concert was Spandau Ballet when I was maybe 10 at the NEC, Birmingham.
  • Chrisiswinning
    Options
    Nothing wrong with Spandau Ballet mate. They were nearly as cool as Depeche Mode and let's face it, Depeche Mode were nearly a proper band.

Welcome aboard.
  • Chrisiswinning
    Options
    Another bump.

It is prime time UK after all.
  • steffij100
    steffij100 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bumping to help you out- and to have time tomorrow to write a response ( sorry, too busy doing DIY and listening to Duran Duran) :)
  • Chrisiswinning
    Options
    We wait with breath duly and appropriately baited!
  • Alanhalil
    Alanhalil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good Sir you're welcome to add :)
  • gblaurni
    gblaurni Posts: 4
    Options
    Oh dear, that first drink was a pint of Mild! Otherwise I think I'd fit in.
  • ProjectBrighton
    Options
    Hi Mate,

Well I'm not quite middle aged (or so I keep having to tell myself), but I am from the UK and I did live through most of the 70s, even though I can't remember much apart from Tiswas, wrestling and World of Sport on Saturday mornings, going through the Square Window on PlaySchool, and attempting to steal plastercine from playgroup by shoving huge clumps of it down my socks.

My first concert was The Wonder Stuff in 1990, and my first proper drink was Banks's Bitter, if you don't count cider out of a plastic bottle behind Woolworths (classy, eh?).
  • Chrisiswinning
    Options
    Quite right!

No Saturday afternoon was complete without a bit of World of Sport with ****ie Davies and On the Ball with Brian Moore.
  • Loz220662
    Loz220662 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Pint of Lager & lime, rum & black for last orders. The sweet, Mud, Slade, a poster of Suzi Quatro on the wall. getting a Raleigh Chopper for Xmas. God am I middle aged? I just thought I was older.....:glasses: