Dinner Party Hell Food

Options
So...it's a dinner party, your food choices are at the mercy of what your host is going to offer you.

Being brought up with good manners, I find it hard to reject food I dislike that someone has gone to great effort and expense to prepare and I either will it to dissolve into the ceramic of the plate or, in one particularly bad incident in desperation, ask for a doggy bag).

I'm interested to know how you guys cope with dinner party food you don't like? Or any particularly bad or scary experiences you have had with dinner parties since you have been on MFP?

Edit: Thanks for responses folks but I may not have worded it very well. I'm not worried about the dinner party - I've been on MFP for 3 years so have weathered most situations by now! It's not calories that are the problem, I was just asking how people coped with being served food they dislike at dinner parties because it's probably the only situation where these is not a choice of what to eat...

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself. Eat at a 200 calorie deficit for the next 7 days after the party. First world problems.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Just eat the food. Seriously, if one dinner party makes you freak out, its time to re-evaluate your priorities.
  • kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself. Eat at a 200 calorie deficit for the next 7 days after the party. First world problems.

Hahaha yup. This is the definition of first world problems.
    I've been there too, and I find it's way better to enjoy yourself and eat (smaller portions if you have the option) than risk offending the host and constantly counting calories in your head.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Just eat the food. Seriously, if one dinner party makes you freak out, its time to re-evaluate your priorities.

QFT
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Eat reasonable portions and enjoy yourself. Or don't go to the party.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Ugh I hate these situations! Especially when the food is good and you want to be nice.

I will try to get sparkling water and keep that in my hands; and keep refilling it. It makes it hard to hold a plate AND a glass AND actually eat. Then either I will just say "oh I already had some, it was great" or "I've had enough, thank you, it was great" when appetizers come around, or take ONE appetizer and put it on a plate and just keep holding it so no one can give you more. This is if I am super motivated. Sometimes I work out right before and have a snack before the party, which makes me more motivated to stay healthy.

The other solution I have is that I fill up on veggies, no dip; or fruit, if those are offered.

If all else fails, I will eat some of the food and just fit into my calories for the day and maybe throw in an extra work out that week.

Anyway I disagree that this is a "first world problem." Eating heavily one day can make you feel bloated, less motivated the next day, etc. So I do think it's important to stick to your plan. Even if it's not 100% of the time, it's better than what you were probably doing in the past.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    In for Hell Food

OZXHN0o.gif
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    This is a test for yourself...are you going to pass or fail?

Eat a little bit. Try to find the healthiest menu item. And don't feel bad if someone doesn't think you are eating enough.

There is nothing wrong with telling people you are trying to watch what you eat so you aren't going to eat 3,000 calories in one sitting.

And like someone else said, enjoy yourself. I tend to look at my weekly calories before I go out on the weekends. Hey, I ate 200 under my limit on Tuesday ... there's 200 I can use towards today. Or burn a few extra calories if you really want to stay in your goal.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The same thing I do when it's the holidays or on the semi-rare occassion that I go out to eat with my friends/husband - enjoy myself, try new things, eat reasonable portions, have a drink or two and thoroughly enjoy myself. My weight might be up a bit for up to a week but it's mostly going to be water weight from sodium so I drink some extra water, be really careful about my calories, maybe get an extra workout in and call it good.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    In for Hell Food

OZXHN0o.gif

Hahahaha - this is brilliant!!!! :laugh:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

OZXHN0o.gif

QFT and...

+1
  • livelovetravelxx
    Options
    Just eat the food..it's only one day!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Eat small portions and do not worry. Even if they serve butter topped with extra butter, you are not obligated to eat a full plate and it is one meal, it will not hurt. Now, if you are not worried about calories but actually hate the food, put in your plate a large amount of what you believe is more tolerable and just add a bite here and there of the rest, and pretend to taste it :)
  • sara4159
    sara4159 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you know the hosts well you could always have a conversation before the party. Start with you appreciate the invite and always love the food they serve, but you're trying to eat a little lighter. Would they mind holding back a plain serving of whatever they are having without the sauce? Would it help if you brought a salad for the party? They might be thankful for the help.

If you don't know them well, and aren't likely to run into them again, you could fake a food sensitivity. "I'm not having any of the butter-cream-bacon sauce because XYZ doesn't agree with me."

Just smile and keep up pleasant conversation. Most people won't really pay attention to what or how much you are eating.

ETA: I realize food allergies and sensitivities are real and serious things that many have to deal with. But sometimes a little white lie will help smooth over an uncomfortable situation.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't get invited to a whole lot of dinner parties. Maybe that's admitting I'm not popular ~ LOL. Fine with me because I'm an introvert and my husband and I like to cook our own food or go out to restaurants we like. Usually with my friends, we're invited over because they have lots of kids, and with my husband's friends we all go out to restaurants jointly decided upon. Win win.

My best friend and her husband cook amazing food. Her husband will usually do some pescetarian-friendly option like cod with crème fraiche & roasted vegetables and then my friend will make a treat like gluten free bread with blackberry compote or amazing from-scratch peanut butter cups with coconut oil or something like that. We don't eat GF or low carb but she does, and it works out great.

The only real challenges are eating with my mom, or holiday meals at my stepsister's house. My mom relies heavily on processed, canned and/or frozen foods loaded with sodium and uses a heavy hand with cheese and butter. Luckily she is trying to eat better and even though she really doesn't have a great handle on that, she makes an effort - so there's at least a couple of veggies around. We usually wind up indulging in whatever dessert she provides, though we've learned how to politely turn down the frozen pie with 400+ cal per slice and that seems to be taken well since she knows we'll scarf down her homemade eclairs on our next visit. Holiday meals at my stepsister's house are all about nasty casseroles and ALL OF THE MEAT. My husband does not eat meat so he's off the hook for most things. Even though I do eat meat, I'm really picky (I basically only like chicken breast meat, good diner burgers, and perfect bite size bits of steak from Chipotle...I'm like a three year old child re: meat) so we turn that down.

I know you're not looking for tips here, but we usually contribute at least a few things to the meal when we know it's gonna suck or be nutritionally deficient. Common for us is bringing salad, a veggie or fruit tray, cous cous, sautéed mushrooms, and/or deviled eggs. That way we can eat something. I really don't know what we'd do if we went to a "dinner party" where they served roast, mashed potatoes, cream cheese filled Crescent rolls, and boxed cupcakes with canned frosting. I'd probably eat yet feel sick later and my husband would probably just leave LOL
  • kmart919
    kmart919 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd probably just be honest. I don't eat seafood and one time, years ago, my BFs mom had us over for dinner and she had made seafood as a special dinner for us. I kinda just froze and felt TERRIBLE when my BF had to tell her I don't eat seafood! It really wasn't a big deal to her at all though, everyone else enjoyed the lobster and whatnot and she quickly cooked up some chicken for me. Now, when we go over for dinner she always has a non seafood option for me if everyone else s having seafood : ). TBH, people should know that not everyone likes all types of food. I would just be greatful, courteous & specific so that they don't think it's actually their cooking you didn't like, so as not to offend since they're gracious enough to have you over. Something more along the lines of, "oh wow, that looks great, but I don't eat/like ____" or maybe "it looks delicious! I wish I could try it, but ____ doesn't agree with me well". Hope that was more along the lines of what you were looking for in a response.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    As a hostess for a weekly dinner party/potluck I can tell you that I really don't pay attention to which choices people make or how much people eat. If they like the food, great. I don't take offense when someone does not eat large portions of everything offered. I would be a bad hostess if I put pressure on my guests to consume something they don't want to. You are there to enjoy yourself, and your host wants that to happen. Choose reasonable portions of things you like. If you are worried about coming hungry and over indulging, eat something with fiber and protein before hand. This will keep you from making choices out of desperation. And as others have said, talk with the host- they may have a solution for you.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    This is one scenario that it actually helps to have food intolerances and allergies. So as to not be any trouble to the host I always just bring my own food. There are some people who want to go out of their way to provide something I can eat but if I don't know them or can be assured they won't kill me off I have to decline since some of my allergies really are life threatening. Nothing says "unsuccessful dinner party" like having to whip out the epipen!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Nothing says "unsuccessful dinner party" like having to whip out the epipen!

Hahaha - yeah, that would be awful!!!

I always try and provide a variety food at dinner and let people help themselves to stuff. I'm not someone who minds if people leave food.