Fitness & Health Do's & Dont's

Options
I thought we could start a thread with tips of what has worked for people when it comes to motivation, or working out- but also a thread with tips on what not to do and what hasn't worked for people. I'm always interested to hear other peoples suggestions, so ya, let's get this rolling!

Replies

• Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Develop a routine and stick to it. I go to the gym the same time every day and I miss it if I dont go.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out or restarting ... go slow in the beginning. There is no reason to try and run 2 miles and then power lift. You are just setting yourself up to be sore or exhausted after a few sessions. Which could deter you from going as often or at all.

On that note....give your body the rest it deserves!
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Motivation is what gets you started, Habit is what keeps you going.

Health and fitness is a lifestyle change. The quicker you make it part of your life, the easier it is to stay committed.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Experiment with different exercises until you find something you LOVE!
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I thought we could start a thread with tips of what has worked for people when it comes to motivation, or working out- but also a thread with tips on what not to do and what hasn't worked for people. I'm always interested to hear other peoples suggestions, so ya, let's get this rolling!

I don't intend to come across as mean or rude but there are times I'm just plain tired after work and my get up and go and has got up and went, however, on the drive home or if I stop at the grocery store I see very unfit and heavy people walking around and it motivates me to put in the hour workout. I've witnessed too many family members and friends who one day just were too tired to do anything and before they knew it, well, you know.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    1. If you're working out at home, good music and dvds/programs that you enjoy!

2. Enjoy the ride! It's exciting to realize that the work out is getting easier, or that you can do more, or, best of all, you want to do more or try something new. No better way to appreciate that you are getting better, faster, stronger every day.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Do: watch the movie Forks Over Knives. Don't sit on yer *kitten* all day!:bigsmile:
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Get an active hobby!
    I just bought a bike and am excited to explore my city in a new way :)

I also love dancing and am at bars/clubs/concerts every weekend, sometimes Friday and Saturday night! It makes it easier to not go over on weekend indulgence calories because I'm exercising for hours and hours.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Motivation is what gets you started, Habit is what keeps you going.

Health and fitness is a lifestyle change. The quicker you make it part of your life, the easier it is to stay committed.
    Could not have said it better
  • fitpiglet24
    fitpiglet24 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I like to encorporate a bunch of different types of exercises such as weight lifting with some cardio mon and tuesday, yoga on wed, pilates whenever i get a chance and then weights and cardio thurs and friday and a run and/or yoga during the weekend. It keeps me motivated to workout cause I'm challenging myself in different ways each day.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Develop a routine and stick to it. I go to the gym the same time every day and I miss it if I dont go.

^^This for 1...
    dont do a routine for a week and then quit it or change it because you "dont see results". it takes a minimum of 3-4 weeks to know if your getting any results from anything.

dont go to the gym expecting to lose weight if you are still stuffing your face with tons of food. you can eat clean and still gain weight if you dont track your food and end up over eating.

do get off the couch and do it. who cares if you are overwight/obese/skinny fat/underweight/strong/weak/fit and trim..... everyone is there for the same reason. to get in shape. to get healthy. to live longer happier lives. there will always be those judgmental a-holes in the gym, but i promise they are way out numbered by people willing to help and encourage you.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    1. Don't put a deadline on your weightloss (i.e. Need to lose 50lbs in 3 weeks! Help!!!)

2. Be patient. Don't let setbacks impede your progress.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    A very big DON'T that I see a lot of people doing, but have never done myself:

Start your dietary change and exercise/active lifestyle change on the same day and go whole hog.

I can think of few things that sound worse than going from sitting on your sofa eating 3,000 cal of Burger King to running miles every day and eating 1,600 cal of vegetables. I think that is like setting yourself up to fail hard. I'm sure there are exceptions to that but for the most part...not a good plan. A lot of people I know (often New Year's Resolutioners) try to do that and I'm just like, "whoa man slow down or you're going to be so frustrated by the end of February". No one listens though. They're going to run marathons eating only broccoli and quinoa by June. Riiight. I also know a lot of women who "jumpstart" weight loss through extreme diets and are addicted to losing 8 lb in 1 week and then anything more normal (like 1-2 lb per week on MFP) seems too slow for them and they won't do it. SLOW and steady can be EXCELLENT!!! I lost 71+ lb in the past year and have never lost more than 2 lb in one week.

A lot of my DO's have already been mentioned. Routines. Breakfast. Dining out less. Counting calories via MFP logging.
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Mine are kind of flip sides to the same coin.
    DO: Develop some staple menus that are easy to deal with that can be eaten often. This helps you get into a nice groove of eating the right amount and hopefully of foods that you like. Takes alot of the thinking out of your meal planning.

DON'T: Forget to add some variety to those menu's for 2 reasons. 1, how can you learn eat the right amount if you don't know the right amount for a wide selection of food. 2, you (well I) need some variety in eating, this is supposed to be a lifestyle change not torture.
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    DO: Dwell on your success and flirt with yourself in the mirror every day :blushing:
    DON'T: Cut anything out of your diet
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    DO: Dwell on your success and flirt with yourself in the mirror every day :blushing:
    DON'T: Cut anything out of your diet

:-D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Do: exercise regularly

Don't: exercise excessively; your fitness should be sustainable

Do: set independent fitness goals for yourself

Don't: exercise exclusively for calorie burn

Do: eat a lot of nutritious and whole foods

Don't: eliminate everything that is awesome and delicious

Do: monitor your progress on the scale as well as your measurements

Don't: obsess about that number to the extent you are jumping on the scale multiple times per day and ultimately weighing all of the food and fluids you've consumed throughout the day, not to mention waste that has been built up throughout the day.

Do: Think of MFP and calorie counting as a tool...training wheels if you will to teach you how to eat properly and in proper portions for your activity

Don't: think calorie counting is the "lifestyle" people talk about when they talk about "lifestyle change"

Do: make nutrition and fitness and intrinsic part of your life

Don't: neglect your mental and spiritual health
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    1. Don't put a deadline on your weightloss (i.e. Need to lose 50lbs in 3 weeks! Help!!!)

2. Be patient. Don't let setbacks impede your progress.

If you have an event coming up, class reunion, vacation, wedding etc, don't wait til three weeks before to try and drop weight.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Free You tubes Videos is a do!!!
  • ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you are able to, get up earlier and do your workout. It is then done and you don't have to worry about life cutting into your time.