HIIT - am I doing it right??

Options
Hi all! I'm really interested in doing HIIT as I've heard a lot about it being great for fitness and weight loss. I don't really have much to lose but maybe 10 pounds. Anyways! I've recently started on the treadmill and was wondering if i should increase the intensity and pace. I'm currently doing 20 min at 30 seconds of 9mph 2% incline and then I cool down for 2 min at 4mph 5% incline. Should I be doing a longer run and shorter cool down or higher incline or am I doing it properly now? Thanks!

Replies

• pinkthink07
    pinkthink07 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    Are you seeing results? if you are then you are probably doing it right.

On the treadmill i usually work my way up to sprinting at 10, no incline, for 45 second then i walk at 3.5 for 1min. repeat once i am warmed up to 20 min. so i may get about 7 or so sprints in on that schedule.

As I move towards summer, I will take it outside and rely more on sprints either on a soccer field or near my home using lightposts as markers.

its tough to really answer your question, i would say you are doing it fine, you might mix up your methods, bike, especially those they use in the spin classes are great as well. on the bike i will often do 20 second sprint followed by 20 seconds of rest for 3 minutes then ride easy for 2 minutes and repeat till 20 min. works really well for me. good luck.
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    There's nothing right or wrong about what you're doing.

One thing you should do is record what your run speed is, and try to increase it every session (or every week if you're already at near peak shape).

You might also want to consider different lengths of intervals (60 seconds running, 2 min walking; 2 min fast jog, then walk, etc)
    Or if outdoors,since it's hard to replicate an all out effort on the treadmill:
    Sprint all out for 10 seconds or 100m or whatever outdoors (if you're actually going at full speed it's hard to last more than 5-10 seconds), then walk, repeat a few times