Vegan, Gluten free and Crohn's Friendly Recipes Needed!

Options
NickeeCoco
NickeeCoco Posts: 130
Hello!

So, I'm hosting a dinner party for what I call my "special" friends. Meaning, they all have special dietary requirements. They're friends I never really invite over for dinner, because, well, they're difficult to cook for. I cook a lot. I cook from scratch. So, I will be picky (even more so) and ask only for recipes that don't require pre-made ingredients.

Now, this is a formal dinner party with wine, champagne, crystal, silverware, china, etc., so I need formal dinner party-type recipes. However, they all need to be Vegan, gluten free and Crohn's disease friendly recipes.

I've got good soup and salad courses, but I still need a protein/entree course (So in this case, it'll probably be beans or lentils?) and a dessert. A couple of sides wouldn't be amiss, either.

I'm an omnivore, myself, but my husband is a vegetarian, so I'm used to cooking vegetarian. But he eats dairy. Cutting out the dairy and coming up with recipes, is proving difficult for me.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• ZombieMom79
    ZombieMom79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Check out the website Against All Grains. You will just what you are looking for!
  • NickeeCoco
    Options
    There are some wonderful recipes on that site, thanks!
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Ask your friend who has Crohn's disease if there are any type of foods s/he can't eat at all. You can easily look up a list of "bad" vs, "good" foods for people with Crohn's, but as a matter of fact everyone will have their own. My brother has Crohn's and it took a lot of time but he managed to figure out his own "no" list so when he comes to visit I just avoid those foods. :)

edit: misspelled Crohn's, lol
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Forks Over Knives cook book. Or Google websites for recipes.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I love www.Epicurious.com they have so many different varieties of recipes.... you can look up by ingredient, healthy, main, vegan, etc. I just pulled this delightful side dish and am excited to try it, and it sounds like it would be good for your get together as well.

Smoky Black Beans
    This recipe can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

Ingredientsadd to shopping list •1 small onion
    •1 chipotle chile (either canned in adobo or dried)
    •two 15- to 16-ounce cans black beans
    •2 teaspoons olive oil
    •3/4 cup fresh orange juice
    Preparation
    Mince onion. If using dried chipotle, in a bowl soak in boiling-hot water to cover 5 minutes and drain. Wearing protective gloves, mince soaked or canned chipotle. In a colander rinse black beans well and drain.

In a 2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan cook onion in oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened. Add chipotle and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add beans, 1 cup water, and orange juice and simmer, mashing mixture 3 or 4 times with a potato masher, until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Season beans with salt.
  • NickeeCoco
    Options
    Thanks, folks!

PS I tried googling, but I wasn't getting the caliber of recipes I was looking for. When I host a dinner party, I normally do French cuisine, but since pretty much everything they do is with cream and butter, it wouldn't work for this. :) (My Complete Le Cordon Bleu, and Julia Child's The Art of French Cooking vol 1 and 2 are my usual go to books. When I host a dinner, I'm in the kitchen at 8am and stay there until dinner is on the table at around 8pm. Time is not an issue for me).

I think I've got my menu.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Crohn's is so personally. Everyone has different trigger foods. Google the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD).