Lunch on a budget...

Options
I'm not rich so I have to do lunch on a budget and I bet a lot of others do too... I usually do lean pockets because they're always on sale somewhere for $2 for packages of 2 and can be combined with a coupon to be around $0.75 for each meal. But gotta be careful because a lot of the "lean" pockets have as many calories as a McDonalds cheeseburger, but some varieties are 200-250 calories and have both carbs and proteins which is important for my lunches.

Anyway, went to Kroger today and found quaker real medley's also 250 calories and the summer berries variety has 8g protein too. That's awesome for a lunch... They're normally $1.79 each though, so too much for my budget, BUT right now Kroger has 'em in a buy five save $5 deal that makes them $0.79 each. If you like oatmeal like I do but find it hard to work into your diet without ruining it, this might just be a good solution. Just thought I'd pass this along because I was thrilled to find it and someone else might be too.

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    There are cheap things you can get that aren't prepackaged.

Eggs, canned tuna/chicken, fresh veggies/fruits. They will also last longer than one lunch.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    eggs are super cheap and have good protein, add some cheap veggies (ex: cucumber, fresh uncut lettuce) you can probably set yourself up pretty cheap and healthy, too.

Sorry to echo the PP! Ditto for the tuna, also. Usually the prepackaged/processed food isn't as cheap as people think they are. When you breakdown the costs for the meat & other ingredients in them, it usually is more than if you had just made it yourself.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I actually extreme coupon, and it helps to cut down my bills to next to nothing at the store, so I can afford to stock up on fruits and veggies.

My recent stock-ups included Nature Valley bars, Fiber One fruit snacks, pasta sauce, veggie pasta, and Steamfresh veggies. I got five bags of the veggies for only $4 after coupons and sale bonuses (retailed $10), Fiber One fruit snacks for around $.50-$.60 a box, and the Nature Valley bars for around $1.44 a box.

If you cut coupons (or go to coupons . com) to print them from home, you can help to cut some money off your bill.
  • siouxsiesponge123
    Options
    I agree with the comments. there are a lot of high protein foods that are not expensive. I try my very best not to eat any packaged food because they are packed full of crap your body doesn't understand!!!! I plan my lunches for the week and shop accordingly. it doesn't bother me to eat the same thing a couple times a week so a carton of low fat cottage cheese n tomatoes goes a long way!!!!!!!!!
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I get a rotisserie chicken and take it with 2 or 3 cups of salad and thats a good meal. Make hamburgers on the weekend and crumble on my salad too. Tuna is also pretty inexpensive.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    You could try a boiled egg with a lunch meat lettuce wrap and a carrot.

Costs way under $2/day.
  • siouxsiesponge123
    Options
    I hope you realize how much sugar there is in fiber one fruit snacks. you are much better to eat an actual real piece of fruit!!!
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    I hope you realize how much sugar there is in fiber one fruit snacks. you are much better to eat an actual real piece of fruit!!!

I'm aware.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up! Also ballin on a budget AND a total coupon queen. :flowerforyou:
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options

I'm aware.

But sometimes we like things with sugar :)
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up! Also ballin on a budget AND a total coupon queen. :flowerforyou:

Aw yeah! It's a fun way to get deals! :D
  • missiontofitness
    Options

I'm aware.

But sometimes we like things with sugar :)

And it's not like we're demolishing the whole box! Plus, there's a little boost of fiber too. :)
  • maz504
    Options

Totally addicting right?! I seriously have started to look forward to Sundays for the big coupon section of the paper. I love to sit at the kitchen table with my coffee and the coupon section lol!
  • LucyGooseD
    LucyGooseD Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Homemade always beats prepackaged. You control the ingredients and the portions. I usually stick with leftovers along with salad or soup ( also homemade).

As far as cost is concerned, bringing your lunch is the way to go. If you don't have leftovers, what about sandwich and/or salad? I agree Egg whites and tuna fish have great protein. If you like canned salmon, you can use that. What about sardines and anchovies? Those are a love 'em or hate 'em item, but if you love 'em they would be good in salads.

If you like the hot pockets, get whole wheat pita bread. Put in your favorite things, including lo-fat cheese. Heat it in the microwave and Viola! Hot pocket for less cost, less sodium and more nutrition. Probably fewer calories as well.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Totally addicting right?! I seriously have started to look forward to Sundays for the big coupon section of the paper. I love to sit at the kitchen table with my coffee and the coupon section lol!

You are sounding more and more like me...haha!
    The gas station I go to actually knows me now, since I'm always there first thing on Sunday to get my paper(s)!
  • maz504
    Options

You are sounding more and more like me...haha!
    The gas station I go to actually knows me now, since I'm always there first thing on Sunday to get my paper(s)!

I have been known to commit an early-morning drive by past my parents house to swipe their coupons. Not the whole paper! Just the coupons. :laugh:
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Split chicken breasts are one of the cheapest things to buy and if you like dark meat the thighs or whole birds are even cheaper. Pork roasts are another that get very cheap around here. Put in a crock pot on Sunday and leave it. If you don't have a crockpot you can bake them in the oven. You have quality meat to keep you stuffed at lunch for days. I like cold chicken best but you must have a microwave so you could include brown rice - also very cheap, healthy and filling. Apples and bananas are both filling and relatively cheap fruits. Can't get easier than those - no dish or anything, lol. Potatoes (regular or sweet potatoes) also a good deal. Carrots are one of the cheapest veggies where I live.

I could have chicken and rice or potatoes every day w/fruit or veggie for less than $2 a day. I load up on fresh veggies and other kinds of fruit I like but admittedly - they up the cost. I could eat my weight in rice and potatoes but I'm trying to lose weight so save those for my suppers when I cook for my family :)
  • Shell_1384
    Shell_1384 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe for you. Unsure of the price but I would guess it is around $2 per serving, probably even less.

LENTIL, BLACK BEAN, AND VEGGIE SALAD

Makes 5 2-cup servings. Lasts all week in the fridge, perfect for people with little time for daily meal prep!

*Could easily replace Greek dressing with any other oil & vinegar based dressing; beans and/or lentils could be switched out for other hearty legumes like chick peas, etc. according to your likes and dietary needs/restrictions.

Green Lentils, cooked and cooled, 2 cups
    Black Beans, cooked and cooled, 1 cup
    Baby Carrots, raw, chopped, 1.5 cup
    Celery, raw, chopped, 1.5 cup
    Red Bell Pepper, raw, chopped, 1 cup
    Purple/red onion, raw, chopped, 0.5 cup
    Sugar Snap Peas, raw, chopped, 1 cup
    Broccoli, raw, chopped, 2 cups
    Kraft - Greek Vinaigrette With Feta Cheese and Oregano Salad Dressing, 150 ml

Lightly fold all ingredients together, careful not to mush the beans and lentils. Divide equally into 5 containers for ready-to-eat meals.

Nutrition info per serving according to MFP recipe builder: 340 Calories, 49g Carbs, 11g Fat, 17g Protein, 378mg Sodium, 6g Sugar
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yum!! You get to eat TWO cups of that for 340 calories? I'm so gonna make this. I love beans and lentils.
  • The_Sandra
    The_Sandra Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I go to Costco and buy a 10-ish lb package of boneless/skinless chicken thighs for $2/lb, a bag of green beans (haricots verts) or broccoli for about $5, and a pack of apples for $7. I cook the chicken on a Sunday and portion the chicken and green beans or broccoli, add brown rice to the hub's, and we have lunch for the week. This amount of food (including another $2 for the rice) will last us for two weeks of work lunches (10 days), which comes out to about $1.70/serving. It's whole, balanced, nutritious, and damn tasty. My husband is a processed food junkie, and even he likes this better than anything frozen or out of a box.