Calories = Money?

Options
lorigem
lorigem Posts: 446 Member
Does anyone ever think of calories as money? I guess because I work at a financial institution, I associate my calorie count for the day as an out-of-pocket expense. I choose wisely so I "spend" the calories on good by yummy food. And when I'm down to my last calories of the day, and if I want something that would put me over, I think, "well I can either go negative (bad), wait 'til I get paid again tomorrow, or take a loan from my weekly total).

Lol - it's maddening. :noway:

Replies

• Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yep, but I'm a financial analyst. I also look at macros as a balance sheet :glasses:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Haha, that's how I've been explaining why I count calories. Well, I balance my checkbook, don't I?!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    yes this analogy is often used...
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i do. and i look at food as numbers now, thanks MFP.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    i don't, but it seems like a perfectly good analogy for it.... if it's working for you then :drinker:
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I do kinda. I'm budgeted 1260 calories everyday, the more I exercise the higher the budget gets. the goal is to have as much money left over by the end of the day. too bad it doesn't roll over the calories I save til the next day. =(
  • AmberCrudup
    AmberCrudup Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Haha, I said that last night…."how should I spend my calories for dinner?"
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I'm also a big fan of this analogy. :bigsmile:
  • Lisapayne76
    Lisapayne76 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I do but I am an accountant. I look at most everything in terms of numbers and money
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Me :-)
    Also I hate debt so I like to earn it before I spend it. It took me ages to get in the habit of having more food during the day instead of saving everything for a blow out dinner, although I still do this if going out for the evening. If I have something planned at the weekend I "deposit" calories all week so I can have a guilt/debt free day.
    Sounds insane but it worked for me ????
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I do! I'm not in the financial business but I do take very good care of my own finances, and I definitely see my caloric intake and changing my eating habits just like changing someone's bad spending habits. And more often than not I swipe my credit card and consume cals I don't have and then have to repay later in the week :X

Good thing I don't do that with my money!
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I hadn't thought of that, but that's pretty neat. :)
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I do kinda. I'm budgeted 1260 calories everyday, the more I exercise the higher the budget gets. the goal is to have as much money left over by the end of the day. too bad it doesn't roll over the calories I save til the next day. =(

umm.. youre doing it wrong
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

umm.. youre doing it wrong

^^This.

OP, I kinda do this too, especially as it's year-end so my work is all based on accounts at the moment. I also budget to ensure I have plenty of calories in the bank for the weekend as I know this is when I am more likely to splurge.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options

It sure does....... if you look at your calories across a week you only need to be down 3500 calories to lose an lb. If you have saved more than that at the end of the week you might lose more than a lb.

Also the goal is to EAT those budgeted calories...
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I do. I always say things like that costs too much or I cant afford that. its a daily budget in my eyes. :smile: