Just Starting Out.. AGAIN... encouraging words ?

Options
Hi!
I am somewhat new to myfitnesspal, and I just discovered these discussion boards, how neat!
I am 23 years old and have struggled with weight/eating issues since I was a teenager. I have went from one extreme to the other, and am now working with a therapist for the "mind" part, now I am finally ready to start acting! I am on day 4 of eating healthy and working out. I love running, but feel self concious now that I have 60 pounds on me that weren't there in my previous running days. My goal is to get to 145-150. Every time I start to diet or change my eating habits, i AWLAYS fall off the horse. This time I want it to be different. As strange as it sounds, posting to social media and having cyber support helps. I have a few goals that I desperatley want to meet, and think that sharing them and maybe getting some feedback would help me meet them..!

1) First Goal: 2 weeks from now (so 3 weeks since my journey), I will be meeting up with a friend. I know this is soon, but I would like to be able to look in the mirror and see a slim down in my face. That is where I typically loose first. I would also like to FEEL good. We met a week ago and all weekend I felt flabby, uncomfortable, and self concious. I want to push msyelf to feel confident in my skin through this process. I tend to beat myself up all the time, focusing on every stretch mark, roll, and celulite blob on me. I think this is what makes me relapse to FSM; Fat Savannah Mode. I have been working on applying positive thoughts, but it is almost harder than making the healthy choices! So Goal 1: Face puffiness deflated, and positive thoughts about my body.

2) Second Goal: My sister graduates college May 3rd. The whole family is travling to Tennessee to watch her. This is 6 weeks away. i would like to be be folding all of my 18s up and throwing them away and comfortable fitting into my 16s. I should add, my ultimate pant size I would like to be in is a 6/8. God, that seems unachievable... !

3) Third Goal: 4th of July!! We always go upnorth and are in our bathing suits and shorts. I would like to be able to fit into a pair of jean shorts and a cute tank without feeling self concious about my arms being uber flabby and actually being able to wear a pair of my jean shorts instead of stretchy ones. I obviously wont be bikini ready at this point, but I would like to be able to feel somewhat okay with myself in a bathing suit in front of all of our friends instead of hiding under towels and cover ups! This is just over 3 months away.

4) Fourth Goal: My Birthday, July 25th! I would love to be able to sport a new facebook pic with a noticably slimmer bod. Just something to kind of show off my hard work! This means I have to stick to the program for FOUR MONTHS. I honestly want to have this come so natural by then that I dont even have to think twice about making the effort to get a work out in or fixing up a healhty dinner instead of opting for fast food.

I will stop here because if I get too carried away I will become overwhelmed . My ultiamte goal besides being healthy, living long, making the changes for my body that I deserve... ? Looking drop dead gorgeous in a wedding dress showing off my figure whenever I get married! (I am not engaged or even close to getting married.. hence, long-term goal!)

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post, anything encouraging/advice/meal ideas/on the go suggestions are welcome! I am at 200 pounds right now and dont know how often to weigh in. when i weigh in i get discouraged. Maybe I should wait till my first goal mark comes and step on the scale then and see my progress!

Replies

• jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My advice would be, don't cheat. When you cheat, you only cheat yourself. No one else cares about your health and appearance but you. If you remember that and stick to the game plan, there will be a new you in 4 months.
  • CharleeCali
    CharleeCali Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Two weeks from now IS kind of soon, but you know what? If you stick with this for the next two weeks, you will feel so good about yourself, that it will show in your body language and attitude. I'm new at this, too, and right now I'm taking it one day at a time, trying to keep to the calories and doing ANY kind of activity. Baby steps.
  • sbirrittier
    Options
    Hey..

I'm in the boat so to speak. I've always went back and forth with my weight I was at my best when I weighted in at 137 ohh the dream to be there again. Its always been a struggle bc I'm an emotional eating along with when I'm bored so it's been a challenge I started going back to the gym I try to go three times a week but sometimes it's hard. My biggest challenge is short term bc I want to see the results sooner then later. It's great u have the goals set, that's something I need to do. I did make a goal jar for every pd down I'm putting money it in. Therefore when I get to my goal I will use the saved money to treat myself with hopefully a new outfit. I could use a diet buddy myself, sometimes it's easier to stick to it if there is someone else who knows ur success or failure so to speak.
  • thequietesthush
    thequietesthush Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've always had the same issue - my weight has yo-yo'd a bit, and I am currently at the heaviest I've been in a while, which is always disappointing. Definitely could use the advice too!

I really like your goals - I feel like I should do something similar to help keep myself on track and have something to look forward to!! :)
  • hannaawh
    hannaawh Posts: 51
    Options
    If you can stick to your new healthy lifestile for 3 weeks, you can stick to it forever. I am sure you will feel like a completely new person by then already - just having some muscles and seeing a little difference on the scale can make you sooo much more confident, so push yourself for that meet up in 2 weeks! Maybe you can post some before afters pics of your face by then? :)

Good luck with the rest, sounds like you set some realistic goals and I am pretty sure you can do it! Stick with MFP, because you're definitely right, it can help you stay motivated and to keep going.
    You can do it :)
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Learn balance and you won't have to "cheat"
  • oceanbreeze27
    oceanbreeze27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the first step toward a fitter, healthier, happier you! One thing I want to encourage to you to do first of all is this: Don't beat yourself up when you fall off the wagon. You will fall off the wagon. We all do. But just climb aboard at the very next meal, accept that you messed up a bit, and move on with your life. Positive thinking IS ESSENTIAL on this journey.

You seem to have a lot of mini goals, which is great! Focusing on the ultimate goal can be intimidating and we don't want that. The specifics are really determined by your body makeup, willpower, and stick-to-it-iveness. I believe that everyone is capable of reaching their goals - it's just a matter of the road they take to get there and the dedication they apply to their efforts.

Definitely surround yourself with supportive friends. *Raises hand* *Points to community on MFP* All of us are here to offer our support, encouragement, and help. So don't be afraid to ask for it or to receive it.

Take it one step at a time, one day at a time, one minute at a time. Stay focused and work on loving yourself first. That's what really makes the fitness journey worthwhile. :o)

Good luck!
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    My advice: ride a friendly, reasonable horse that you can feed and live with for the rest of your lives together. :)

Be careful of putting too specific of a timeline on your goals. I see people post on here all the time saying they want to lose X amount of weight in Y amount of time, and I think that can put a lot of pressure on yourself and our bodies are going to lose at their own pace no matter what it is our minds want it to do. I started losing weight last August and hoped to reach my goal weight by Thanksgiving.....I reached it in February.

If you can reach them, GREAT! But don't get discouraged if your body gets stubborn like a.... horse!

Nonetheless, remind yourself of your good traits and beauty inside and out and don't let what is good about yourself be defined by what you see on the scale.

Friendly, healthy horse, great things will happen!

Good luck!
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    A few quotes to live by that are 100% true and accurate...

"Abs are made in the kitchen"
    "Fitness is a marathon not a sprint"
    "No pain, no gain"
    "Nothing tastes as good as fit feels"

Good luck
  • perdikatherine
    Options
    I understand how you feel because i've had some ups and downs with my weight too. Currently, I'm trying to lose the weight the healthy and right way, but once or twice a week I allow myself to indulge in any sweet craving I may have. I try to balance it out through exercise and healthy nutritional eating the rest of the week. What I could advise is take it one day at a time (that's what people have told me as well).
    What may also help is to plan ahead your meals. For example, I find useful looking for healthy recipes and plan ahead my meals for the week so that I can write down what I need to buy. This can save you time, money and food you may be tempted to buy but you don't need when in the supermarket. It requires some discipline but healthy eating doesn't need to be boring or a burden. I like to think that by putting in my body nutritious food, I can make it function and feel better.
    As for exercise, I'd suggest thst you try to see what works for you. Some people like the gym, some prefer doing something else. Even if you can't bother or feel self-conscious to go out and exercise, you can try out home workouts (youtube is full of them).
  • LassVegas
    LassVegas Posts: 35
    Options
    First of all, best of luck to you. And run if you want to run. Don't let how you think you look be an obstacle to getting healthier. And remember, that's what it's all about - health.

This website is a spectacular resource and not just for people who want to lose weight. That's why it's called myfitnesspal and not myweightlosspal. So you can draw some really good inspiration from some of the other resources and not just the ones geared toward weight loss. It's never to early to act like someone who is already fit.

I have some advice for you that others may not agree with, but it is similar to other advice above. In my opinion, particularly for someone like you who has struggled with weight (and probably body image) for years, but I also believe it's true for most others, I don't think it's a good idea to set time-based goals. There is no way to know how long it will take to reach a certain look or weight goal and if you don't reach it in the time you've assigned yourself, you will feel like you failed and the whole thing could backfire.

What I would recommend is that you set activity and diet goals. That you commit to eating a particular way and exercising a certain amount regardless of what the scale says or how things fit you. Then you can celebrate each bit of progress without ever feeling like it wasn't enough progress.

All of the goals you shared concern me. But that is just my opinion. You want to give yourself the best chance possible. Good luck!
  • anthophora
    anthophora Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I completely fell off the wagon for a bit as well. Life got crazy busy....I also am changing by goals. I am trying to just lose 15 more pounds. If I get there, I will see how it goes. I would love to lose 30 but would be healthy at 15 more lost.

Anyone can feel free to add me.
  • Lcruz2014
    Lcruz2014 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    the thing's that are helping me are
    1 - knowing my weight every day and having it in my face - get your self one of those smart scales if you can
    2 - i have been reading this book called "The Plan" and for the first time i actually believe i will get to my goal and keep it offf (must read)
    3 - you are already doing it :smile:
    4 - help from friends

we are all in it together
  • Soapfan777
    Options
    Starting is the hardest. Now, that you have set some goals just take your time to build healthy habits and you'll be fine.
  • Trueimage
    Trueimage Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Setting small goals is very helpful. You have to do what works for you! Having friends and family encouraging you is always great.
  • disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Well one important thing that has helped me is to stop thinking about this is as a diet. Make sure the choices you make now are sustainable. Don't go into this with the idea that you have to give up anything. Eat what you want, in moderation. Drink plenty of fluids. If you have days where you go over your calories, it's okay. We all do it sometimes, the important thing is to make sure to keep it in perspective. One day isn't going to make or break your journey.

One of the best things I've done this time around (I'm on my fourth or so bout on mfp) is to make friends on here. I love checking in on my news feed and seeing what my friends are up to. It's really great to see that they're losing weight too, or exercising, or whatever. Building a support system is really important on here.

This is just my own personal advice and what has been working for me. Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me if you need a friend.
  • spdoughe
    spdoughe Posts: 51
    Options
    WOW! I just realized how to see these postings, I didnt realize anyone had responded! Feeling SO encouraged and motivated!! I appreciate all of the advice and encouraging words everyone shared, I took something away from every single post! :)