Running Tips

Options
I recently started running and love the workout it gives me and how I feel after. Only issue is I am so bored the entire time, I find myself counting down the seconds until my run is over. Any tips on the running boredom?

Replies

• wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Where are you running? Treadmill, indoor track, outdoor track, roads, trails?
  • re1424
    re1424 Posts: 4
    Options
    Unfortunately only on the treadmill, my neighborhood isn't really conducive to running unfortunately.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Try smiling and looking at people. People are funny! .

Or listen to music and start grooving :flowerforyou:
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Place a tv in front of it (or move the treadmill in front of the tv). DVDs and/or Netflix.

I have a small 20 inch tv/dvd combo tv that I set on a dresser in front of the treadmill. I would die of boredom otherwise. Action movies keep me going!
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Go to a different area, then? I don't like treadmill running either. Running outdoors I find quite stimulating, though. Always something different to see, smell, feel, hear. And I feel so much more accomplished when I can say I ran here, to here, to there, and back!
  • nesto610
    nesto610 Posts: 107
    Options
    I run on an elliptical (in my home) and the only way that it is bearable is if I watch a movie while doing so. However, it has to be a movie on Showtime or Netflix though. Watching a movie on TV with commercials is the WORST!.... Don't even get me started with running outdoors...UGHH!!!!
  • re1424
    re1424 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone, I'm going to try netflix tomorrow and see how that goes!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Outdoor running is helps a lot, because a change of scenery. Outdoor is actually harder though.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Outdoor running is helps a lot, because a change of scenery. Outdoor is actually harder though.

I find the opposite to be true for me. Running outside is much easier for me, but I loathe the dreadmill so that could be part of it.
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill is boring as ****, I agree with you. But yet, it needs to happen. So for me, I like to change up my runs by adding in sprints here and there. I set the speed up so that I am full out sprinting for about 30seconds- to a minute, and then off for 30 seconds. Sprints actually help to burn more fat than your regular running would, and it also accelerates your calorie burn for the rest of the day. So , unless you are training for a race- 5k, 10k, marathon.. etc... switch things up and make it enjoyable.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Put on your big girl panties and suck it up. Or, say **** it, take everything off, run in the nude and enjoy the breeze. :tongue: