To much cardio ?!?!

Options
I have heard that more than 45 minutes of cardio at one time can cause you to lose muscle mass(as well as weight).... Is this true?

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Man, some people believe any amount of cardio makes you lose muscle mass.

Do what you like. However, all good exercise programs should have a good mix of cardio and strength training.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I do minimal cardio - once a week - and lift four to five times a week…but that is just because I do not like doing a lot of cardio .

However, i did notice that when I was running like three times a week and doing a ploy/circuit type weight training workout that I leaned out really fast..but that is just my experience...
  • ktkdmommy
    ktkdmommy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 6 days a week & lift 4 days a week. I still have muscle, and getting bigger everyday.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    For OP-How many times per week, at what level of exertion?
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    SilentDrapeRunners Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yes, in general, cardio will result in muscle loss/lack of muscle gains. If your main goal is bulking (trying to gain weight/muscle mass), you should generally limit the amount of cardio you do. Having said that, if you do choose to do cardio, 20-30 min. HIIT (high intensity interval training) workouts are best in order to preserve muscle gains.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    No.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Running 52 minutes today I could feel the muscle pouring out of me; must be true. Seriously, if you do cardio for 45 minutes I think your muscles will be okay, but to be safe, go 44 minutes and stop. Best of luck OP.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    No not with the proper nutrition. It can effect the % of muscle you gain during a bulk though...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 6 days a week & lift 4 days a week. I still have muscle, and getting bigger everyday.

let me guess, you eat 1200 calories too ?