Whey Protein Powder, Tummy Aches and BATHROOM AHOY

TMI, Just asking if this was normal. Grocery shopping at Big Y yesterday, went down the health isle and spotted some Pure Protein 32g Frosty Chocolate. Yesterday I had a shake, and had stomach troubles including a tingling like if your foot was going numb and PAIN. I capitalized pain, because I know PAIN. I had a double oophorectomy due to PCOS, 3 years ago. This PAIN signifies "bathroom.... NOW" and it hurts to where my body won't let me go unless I push, and it hurts trying to let everything go through. :/

Today I had 2 shakes. One before am Zumba, and one right after dinner.

Replies

• AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Carrageenan, perhaps?
  • marissa2224
    marissa2224 Posts: 11 Member
    Not sure about the numbness, that doesn't sound normal. If your protein powder has sugar alcohols in it (many do), that could bother your stomach. I think it's common.
  • ResaBoBesa
    ResaBoBesa Posts: 20 Member
    Whey protein makes me ridiculously sick. I work at a gym where we make shakes with the whey and once or twice I was starving so I made one and each time it made my stomach so bloated I felt like it was blowing up into my lungs. So yeah, I don't touch that crap. I get my protein from whole sources like peanut butter, eggs and beans.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Well whey has dairy in it, are you lactose intolerant at all? I also second the possibility of carrageenan. It can hinder digestion and cause pains.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Well whey has dairy in it, are you lactose intolerant at all? I also second the possibility of carrageenan. It can hinder digestion and cause pains.

Not lactose intolerant at all.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member

Not lactose intolerant at all.

Hmm well that's all I can tell ya. Maybe you would benefit by changing brands or to a vegan or hemp protein powder? I use Vega chocolate and love it, never had an issue. I tend to stay away from a lot of the big whey ones that have massive amounts of ingredients in them, must be something in there that's not agreeing with you.