Bananas causing weight gain?

Options

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Depends on the size of the banana and how close you are to your calorie restriction... It is more likely that you were near a plateau anyway.... Increase your exercise or decrease a bit of your intake to begin to see further progress.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Oh banana, long and yellow. You taste sweet like honey, better with peanut butter in a bun. The banana. A mysterious potassium beast. I beckon you into the depths of my stomach. For you are good and wholesome. Make me smile.

f39yeu.gif
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Bananas are pure fructose, a simple carb which spikes blood sugar almost immediately. I used to eat a banana every morning back in my high-carb days and, as soon as I cut it out and replaced it with something less carb- and sugar-dense (usually nuts, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, a protein shake, etc), I began losing weight again. Everyone's bodies are different, but it seems that you have a similar issue with carbs and sugar as I did/do.

If you cut out fat, fruit, even bananas do not spike the blood sugar. I'm a diabetic and I eat 6 bananas a day. I eat 80/10/10 high carb diet and since doing this, my blood glucose levels have been great. Also as you can see by my banner, i've lost 23 lbs. in 30 days.
  • mypersonalfitnessjourney
    Options
    Bananas are pure fructose, a simple carb which spikes blood sugar almost immediately. I used to eat a banana every morning back in my high-carb days and, as soon as I cut it out and replaced it with something less carb- and sugar-dense (usually nuts, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, a protein shake, etc), I began losing weight again. Everyone's bodies are different, but it seems that you have a similar issue with carbs and sugar as I did/do.

If you cut out fat, fruit, even bananas do not spike the blood sugar. I'm a diabetic and I eat 6 bananas a day. I eat 80/10/10 high carb diet and since doing this, my blood glucose levels have been great. Also as you can see by my banner, i've lost 23 lbs. in 30 days.
    As I specifically stated, everyone's bodies are different. What works for you, your health, your weight loss, and your body will not necessarily work for someone else. I am glad you've found a way of eating that keeps your blood sugar in check, but that exact same diet has wreaked havoc on other diabetics (as well as non-diabetics) I know. The point of developing a healthy lifestyle is to find something that works for you - both short-term and long-term. It appears you have found that, but the OP has not as of yet, which is why I offered my input and advice, since it appears their body and metabolism function in a similar way to mine.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a banana a day but I eat about 4 per week, and usually quite a few strawberries per week, probably 20 at an estimate.

Has not hindered my weight loss journey.

Bananas are not pure fructose - they do have natural sugar in them but also many other components; fibre and potassium, for example.
  • BigVeggieDream
    Options

As I specifically stated, everyone's bodies are different. What works for you, your health, your weight loss, and your body will not necessarily work for someone else. I am glad you've found a way of eating that keeps your blood sugar in check, but that exact same diet has wreaked havoc on other diabetics (as well as non-diabetics) I know. The point of developing a healthy lifestyle is to find something that works for you - both short-term and long-term. It appears you have found that, but the OP has not as of yet, which is why I offered my input and advice, since it appears their body and metabolism function in a similar way to mine.

Research is showing that kind of diet isn't a bad one. Research is showing that fat has a much larger impact on blood glucose levels than thought before. Fat inhibits the effectiveness of insulin to regulate blood glucose levels. Not knowing that before is why the medical community was saying to reduce carb intake. When you cut out the fat, your insulin is able to function properly and you can eat carbs again. This will not wreak havoc on other diabetics.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,894 Member
    Options

Research is showing that kind of diet isn't a bad one. Research is showing that fat has a much larger impact on blood glucose levels than thought before. Fat inhibits the effectiveness of insulin to regulate blood glucose levels. Not knowing that before is why the medical community was saying to reduce carb intake. When you cut out the fat, your insulin is able to function properly and you can eat carbs again. This will not wreak havoc on other diabetics.
    Interesting I'm sure, but wrong. It slows digestion and moderates insulin spikes as does protein as well.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    A banana has about 90 calories, so if you were previously 90 calories under your maintenance calorie allowance... well I am sure you know how it works.

It is just as much the banana as it is the burger or what ever else is accumulating your calories.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    The answer to your question, no.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If you up it to two bananas a day, you'll lose weight like me :)
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    ZOMG, the dreaded banana!

In

didn't we just do this a few weeks ago? I had 3 yesterday.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

In

Pig
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

In

Pig

damn bro! I'll cut it down to two for today...
  • BigVeggieDream
    Options

Interesting I'm sure, but wrong. It slows digestion and moderates insulin spikes as does protein as well.

It's anecdotal, but my blood glucose is under control and my A1C, which is an overall 3 month glucose level is down as well. If you were correct, my A1C would still be high. And I'm not the only one this is happening to as well.
  • malena126
    malena126 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! 23 pounds in 10 days, great job, I bet you feel better too!!
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Weight gain is not caused by one particular food; it is caused by the combined total of everything you eat. Bananas can be high in calories and they vary massively in size (and therefore calories) - always weigh bananas before you eat them
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,894 Member
    Options

It's anecdotal, but my blood glucose is under control and my A1C, which is an overall 3 month glucose level is down as well. If you were correct, my A1C would still be high. And I'm not the only one this is happening to as well.
    Lots of things effect A1C levels and eating fruit isn't really going to effect it that much especially if your eating more whole foods, exercising and losing weight. Eating over maintenance and lots of refined carbs is what raises A1C along with a myriad of other problems.
  • BigVeggieDream
    Options

Lots of things effect A1C levels and eating fruit isn't really going to effect it that much especially if your eating more whole foods, exercising and losing weight. Eating over maintenance and lots of refined carbs is what raises A1C along with a myriad of other problems.

Normally healthy people who eat high fat diets that are at or below maintenance levels see an increase in insulin resistance. That's why skinny people can get type II diabetes. Yes exercise and loss of weight reduces BGLs, but so does fat. There are a myriad of factors that affect blood glucose. Before I started losing weight, I noticed that despite eating too many calories, that a meal that was very low in fat did reduce my post meal BGL. Eating more whole foods and losing weight made my BGL even better. Fruit in the diabetic community is a no-no except in small quantities. Though i am eating lots of vegetables, they account for very little of my calories. Yesterday, fruits accounted for 85% of my calories. According to the medical science of the last 30 years, i should be having trouble with my BGLs but I'm not. My average BGL for the last 2 weeks has been 103. The only time recently that I see my BGL rise is after meals that have higher fat, then I'm supposed to allow for a meal.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    This is a serious question? :huh: