Am I cheating??

Options
So, I have my 1/2 cup of ice cream, then a couple hours later, I lose self-control and go have another 1/2 cup. Seeing as how this is around 3-4 am, I add the 2nd helping to the next day's food diary. Is this considered bad practice, or "cheating"?

Replies

• RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    that is not cheating. That is just brilliant!!! :) I look at my intake on a weekly average most of the time anyway.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    As long as your adding it, and staying in your cals for the day it really doesn't matter. I for one, like to see that I stay under my goal for the week anyway, instead of always daily. Because some days I'll go over, but other days I'm way under. It all evens out in the end, so just keep logging it. And eat it in moderation. You'll be fine.
  • MightyMandrella
    MightyMandrella Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So true! Thank you!
  • MightyMandrella
    MightyMandrella Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks! Some days definitely ARE under, and as long as I am honest with myself - I know I can be successful. This is my first real concentrated, dedicated effort - of my whole LIFE! The tools provided with this Godsend of a website are what I've needed all along. It's the educating of the self. I can't turn my back on knowledge - once you know - you KNOW! And I've always wondered about my nutritional guidelines. No more of this, "it's just one meal at a mexican restaurant!". Now I KNOW how and where the unhappiness is coming from - EXACTLY. And, I can still have that meal - as long as it is planned for. And not every day, LOL. Thanks soo much for all y'alls support, kind words, and stories of encouragement!!
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Yep, do yourself a favor and care more about your weekly totals. They are like hidden surprises.

When it is Friday and I want that extra vodka/club soda drink ... I look at my weekly goals and say hey...I can have that cuz I rocked this week!
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Trial and error my friend! I'm sure it'll be fine! :D
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Total cheating, might as well quit now.
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I might be a little bit old school, but ice cream is cheating no matter how you slice it.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I might be a little bit old school, but ice cream is cheating no matter how you slice it.

"Old school" doesn't mean "wrong".

There is nothing wrong with ice cream. The idea that some foods should be eliminated so you can lose weight is why most people fail.

Moderation.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Everyone logs their days starting and ending at different times. Whatever works for you, long as you are logging it, I say go with it.
  • melinda11587
    melinda11587 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I work nights so I do the same kind of thing...and with exercise also....and like last Sunday I splurged bc I had extra calories from the whole week! I don't think its cheating!
  • Soapfan777
    Options
    No, you are not cheating because you are recording it. I do the same with a nice glazed donut one in a while. You are allowed a treat while losing weight...accountability and moderation are the keys.
  • an0nemus
    an0nemus Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    So, I have my 1/2 cup of ice cream, then a couple hours later, I lose self-control and go have another 1/2 cup. Seeing as how this is around 3-4 am, I add the 2nd helping to the next day's food diary. Is this considered bad practice, or "cheating"?

I don't know if its cheating, but its what I do.

As long as the calories are deducted somewhere, that's all that really counts. A few times I'l have a PBJ sandwich in the middle of the night and I count that as breakfast.
  • Pathend2
    Pathend2 Posts: 142
    Options
    Something something something don't eat after 9pm or whatever, blah blah blah.

Screw it, you gotta work on your emotional health as well as your physical health. So ice cream it up! But uh, yeah... moderation and stuffs. As long as you get right back on that horse again, that's all that matters.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Nope lol. If you eat it at 3am it is tomorrow's food.
    Cheating is when I drove home late one night, felt peckish but had no calories left. I got a drive thru and logged it as next day. It was about 400 calories and really regretted it the next day, I wanted those 400 calories back.
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Nahh haha. One night I waited until 12am to eat my girl scout tagalong so I'd feel better about the roll over. lmao
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I work nights so I do the same kind of thing...and with exercise also....and like last Sunday I splurged bc I had extra calories from the whole week! I don't think its cheating!

I'm exactly the same! When I'm on night shifts I'm sometime having lunch at 1am! So I tend to look at my weekly deficit, and just use my daily calories to make sure I'm on the right track!

And I don't think there is anything wrong with fitting some ice-cream into your day as long as you hit your calorie target! I save up a few calories for a glass of red wine a few nights a week, am still losing weight and don't feel like I'm missing out on the things I love! :drinker:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    No way.

The term "cheating" relates to that old diet mentality where certain things were considered "fattening" and therefore to be avoided. In the new age of moderation, its is really A-okay to have ice cream and any other food you want as long as you stay within your calorie goals.
  • whatthedeuce23
    whatthedeuce23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My sleep schedule has been funky all week because of university, so when my stomach is growling at midnight I've been simply eating part of my breakfast for the next day. As long as it gets logged it'll all add up in the end!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Yah old school and wrong.

Cheating indicates doing something wrong and bad...ie cheating on a test...

Eating ice cream is not wrong, it has calcium which is good for you etc.

You shouldn't demonize food...food is not what makes you fat....too much food is what makes you fat.