Hummus

Options
Why has hummus become such a health food? Its high in calories!

What do YOU use it with or in place of?

Replies

• erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i use it instead of mayo on sandwiches. It yummy and way less fat than regular mayo:smile:
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    50-60 calories per 2 tbsp is high calorie?
  • tgaul
    tgaul Posts: 123
    Options
    I love hummus. It is great with veggies as a dip, on sandwiches and it helps me get my protein and fiber in.
  • txtarakaye
    Options
    I also use it to replace mayo. I only buy the organic stuff as the oils are actually healthy for you. I haven't tried making it, but everytime I think to, it ends up being more expensive than if I just bought it. I also use it as a dip for veggies or on pita chips as a snack; its better for me than ranch, sour cream type dips or spinach/aritchoke cheese dip -my body is not a big fan of dairy it seems. And although it may be high in calories/ fat, it is also high in fiber & iron, is very low in Cholesterol, is also a good source of Vitamin B6 and Manganese.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Mayo on veggie sandwiches (it also holds a sandwich together much better)!

Also, instead of ranch or dip with veggies, I use hummus.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Hummus comes in a bunch of different flavors. The base ingredients are chick peas, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and tahini paste (tho, I use ground sesame seeds). Hummus is a good source of fiber, protein, and good fats.

I also use it on sandwiches, but also instead of creamy, fatty veggie dip...use hummus.
  • missxlaur
    Options
    I also use it to replace mayo. I only buy the organic stuff as the oils are actually healthy for you. I haven't tried making it, but everytime I think to, it ends up being more expensive than if I just bought it. I also use it as a dip for veggies or on pita chips as a snack; its better for me than ranch, sour cream type dips or spinach/aritchoke cheese dip -my body is not a big fan of dairy it seems. And although it may be high in calories/ fat, it is also high in fiber & iron, is very low in Cholesterol, is also a good source of Vitamin B6 and Manganese.

It's so easy to make! My boyfriend and I make it all the time. You just buy canned garbanzo beans (make sure to wash them off before you use them), olive oil, and whatever else you'd like to include (we always add garlic because it's so delicious, but you could put sun dried tomatoes, bell peppers, etc) and put them into a food processor. It's also nice because you can control the texture of the hummus, how much oil you want to include, etc. When you make it yourself you also usually have extra that you can save for later. We always make this when people come over and it's a huge hit.

Hope this encourages some of you to try making it on your own!
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    hummus is wonderful. eat it with veggies, with pita, on sandwiches, chips, put it on a grilled cheese sandwich along with some fresh spinach leaves. I love it
  • lessjess2
    Options
    Does hummus go bad fast after you open it? You know how guacamole browns within hours - is it like that?

In other words, if I were to buy a large container of hummus from Costco, is it okay to sit in my fridge for a month or more (opened and closed, opened and closed)?
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options

I just started eating it with raw veggies and did use it as a glue for a sandwich before. I just started making hummus cuz i figured it was cheaper to do it that way and it's SOOOO good!!! I usually only make one can of garbanzo beans cuz I love it fresh and usually find a way to use it up by the end of that day!! So yummy indeed!! I used to only eat it with pita bites or pita bread. It's also really great with falafels.
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I also use it on sandwiches and wraps in place of mayo. I usually buy it, though I'm tempted to try and make it now! It seems to last a while when I get it from the store. A container can usually last me about 2-3 weeks without showing signs of going bad....not sure that's a good thing!
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i'm sure it goes bad but not as fast. I bought some this weekend and it expires in February. It usually only last a couple weeks in my house and has never spoiled after I opened it.
    So far I have not found a flavor I don't like but some are better than others. I just had some pizza flavored hummus with celelry for lunch. It was almost as good as the roasted red pepper
  • nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

I was wondering the same thing
  • missxlaur
    Options
    A container can usually last me about 2-3 weeks without showing signs of going bad....not sure that's a good thing!

I agree! I make my own because I like to try to avoid preservatives
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    don't judge a food by its calorie content. your talking about some very compact nutrition here, a few bites is all you need for a midday pickup much better than a cup of coffee. the most important thing with compact nutrition, hummus, nuts, dried fruit, plumb pudding, whatever, limit the portion a dab will do ya.
  • HippyHorse
    Options
    You can get low fat hummus which doesn't have as much oil in it, but really you don't need much to fill you up so it doesn't make too much difference other than in the taste. I eat it with a pitta bread and lots of cucumber, totally covered in paprika, yum.